2003 S-Type

4.7 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

So far, so good (one month)

by Tall car nut (6'4') from Alpharetta, GA on March 25, 2007

I bought the 2003 S-Type because of the price/ value relationship. In 2003, the reviews of this vehicle were very positive noting major improvements over the 2002 in handling and interior design. When JD Power awarded Jaguar the highest reliability rating for 2003 vehicles among European manufacturers, I felt comfortable buying a used S-Type 3.0. The main reason that I considered a Jaguar rather than another Lexus was the headroom. The headroom in this vehicle is a couple inches more than my previous-generation Lexus GS (which was always a bit too tight). Given the headroom and the seating, the driving position is excellent for me and has the adjustability to be excellent for anyone, I expect. No doubt, this is a big car. With a longer wheelbase, it drives "bigger" than a Lexus GS. Still, the handling of this car is surprising. This is more of a sport sedan. The graceful exterior and the luxury amenities might lead you to think that it isn't. The engine and transmission are strong and extremely smooth. Gas mileage is about 20 in all-around and fairly aggressive driving (and with the automatic transmission set on "sport") The road feel comes primarily through the seat; the feel through the steering wheel is pretty minimal. At first, the seat seemed hard with inadequate side bolstering and the road-feel through the seat seemed overly harsh. Then I realized that I needed to drive with an enthusiast driving position: arms extended and seat farther back, to take advantage of the side bolstering that is located at the front edge of the seat. (With arms fully extended, the wrist joints should reach the steering wheel.) With the seat back your weight will also be distributed across more of the seat, more on the legs and less on the butt. Result: great leg support for a tall guy and less of a feeling of seat hardness. (Lexus GS seats are not this deep from front to back.) The interior styling is very nice. The traditional Jaguar wood is a big part of the design. Other than the wood, the interior materials are good but not great. So far I can't rate the reliability of the vehicle, but I was very satisfied with the dealer when I took it in for the pre-purchase inspection. The people in the service department were quite personable, competent, and professional.

Great buy for a used car purchase.

by Andy from the Big Apple from NYNY on June 4, 2013

The 2003 Jaguar I purchased about a month ago is an amazing vehicle. The original sticker was $ 51,000, and I bought it from an old lady ( yeah really) who only put 30,000 miles on it, for 10k. The interior and exterior is like new. She also had the car serviced for any little noise and kept up with the maintenance religiously. That is the type of Jag S that you want, one that has been maintained from the beginning because that seems to be where all the problems are, off the assembly. Once fixed, the car is good to go. And, from her receipts, during the first 5k, the car had some major issues that were fixed under warranty, mostly computer re settings. This car had two major issues when I purchased it, both due to a Jaguar dealersmechanics incompetence. One was a radiator hose plastic pipe that was crushed by a mechanic who over tightened a clamp which caused the hose to fall off constantly. The second problem was a fuel pump that was installed wrong and crooked and not tightened down so the check engine light would go on and the gas actually leaked out of the top of the gas tank under the car, if you filled it up. Once my mechanic fixed these problems at a reasonable rate, the car has never had a problem. It's smooth, luxurious, fast, and gets great mileage, 26 mpg, for a 4.2 V8 that's amazing. The old lady also ordered the car with a special racing green metallic paint and a set of 4 chrome jag wheels. I smoked the windows and the car sparkles. The paint is like new and so are the wheels. So if you want an S type, make sure you get one with good records, and even then, have a mechanic go over it, the jag mechanics are overpaid incompetent fools, never bring the car to a jag dealer. This lady was charged 300.00 to have a tail light changed and they were the above mentioned jag problems. And don't buy a Jag with the Xenon lights, they are self leveling and the motor mounts tend to break. If you already did there is a fix on youtube which is simple and amazing. A dealer will charge you 2,000 to fix it. You can do it yourself with two screws and a drill bit for about $ 2.00.

What a pretty kitty! WOW

by Out West Jag Owner from on April 24, 2010

I did lots of homework online about the 'S' type Jags and decided after seeing one and driving a couple, that I needed a change from 2 prior caddys. WOW, it more than met my expectations. Just purchased it with 96K and it runs like a new car. Don't know all of its history but seems like it has been very well cared for. Bought it with a warranty just for a little piece of mind. I don't what I like the best; the looks, ride, performance or just overall feeling for the car. Totally in love with it. Held out for the weather package (heated seats, rain-sensing wipers, traction control) and the memory options, plus lumbar. Can' say enough good about the car so far! Time will tell the whole story. I just need to remember all cars (in a matter of time and mileage) break down, its a given. I felt like I got a ton of car for well under 10K, but I had to look hard and clear to Rhode Island from Oregon!

A bargain luxury vehicle.

by TDLAX from Denver, Co on May 18, 2011

First purchased in 2003, I could well say this is a really nice vehicle. The styling is very luxurious. I have received many comments on how "nice it looked". It picks up really nice, has a decent amount of cargo space, and family friendly. What I do not like about the vehicle is the awkward locking system. As I am in the vehicle, I lock it up while I am inside, but it refuses to lock. Also, one time I purposely left the keys in the ignition with the vehicle on, and it locked me out (yes I did have my windows rolled down just in case). The overall locking system takes a long time to understand. This sedan is otherwise a wise choice for people with the money to afford its extensive repair costs and overall MSRP.

S-Type R

by Bmwridr from Indianapolis, IN on August 8, 2006

I've owned my S-Type R for 2 years and have used it as a daily driver all that time. I just love this car, the perfect sports sedan. Fast and responsive but silky smooth. Tremendous Brembo brakes. Great sound system. All the bells and whistles. And very reliable, only 2 small problems both promptly taken care of by the dealer. Driving to the grocery or blasting down a country road, it feels totally at easy in any environment.

Wow

by MikeOh from Ohio on February 18, 2010

I bought this fabulous 2003 S-Type 4.2 just about a year ago and I have been falling deeper in love with it every day. The car has power, handling, style, comfort and class like no other. The features and luxury options are second to none. I got this car for a steal, it's a shame they loose so much value after just a couple of years. It has an elegance that is not matched by any other car. People stare at it because it does not have the cookie cutter look of a Lexus, Mercedes or BMW.

Turns heads and a pleasure to drive!

by AverageHuman from North Hollywood, CA on December 31, 2013

2003 Jaguar S-Type is reliable. Still running strong at 103,000 miles. Minor issue with the radiator and a sensor but has been fixed (real simple). I love the car and it gets A LOT of people's attention. It stands out from your typical BMW, Mercedes, and Audi roaming the streets in California. I have the V6 3.0L engine and it runs great. As blunt as it may sound, it is a great car. There is not a day that goes by that I don't notice strangers admiring my car with their eyes. It is a truly unique and beautiful car. If you purchase a Jaguar S-Type, be sure to buy 2003-2008 models (reliability is best after 2003).

I cannot find the replacement

by Vadim from Mahwah, NJ on December 17, 2013

Was looking at reviews and found my own review here, made in 2006. Here I am, 10 days short of 2014, and I'm still driving the same car. Soon it is 10 years I have it, it has almost 150K miles and it is the best car I ever had. I just love it! I drove it all over the east cost, from Key West to Niagara falls, it still looks, drives and handles almost like new. When car was about 110K it had some issues with the engine. I went to my mechanic and he replaced lots of staff inside the car, which cost me more then $4K, but I'm so glad I did that, because 3 years later I'm driving it with no problems whatsoever. The only problem with his repair was that the car started consuming more fuel, exactly as per specification (check my other review here to see how good it was before). I understand that I need to find another car, that this one will break dead earlier or later, but every time I look at some new car I just don't like it as much as I do my old Jag. My wife has Mercedes C class, this is a joke comparing with the Jaguar, plus it cannot stop breaking. Bravo Jaguar for making such a nice car! This car made me to look for another Jaguar. Was looking at XF - it looks like made from cheap plastic inside. May be XJ will be next. One thing I don't understand - why Jaguar abandoned the vertical grille? This is a signature of the Jaguar car, and who said that it is an old looking?

Best haqndling car I've owned

by Car enthusiast from Concord, CA on June 27, 2007

Overall it's an excellent car. It's fast, handles extremely well and is comfortable. Generally the service at the local Jaguar dealer has been good although the routine servce is expensive for what you get. I would definitely buy another Jaguar but would buy a "preowned" one rather than new as I prefer someone else to eat the first two years depreciation.

Jaguar s-type 4.2 2003

by Vadim from NJ on June 19, 2006

I have this car for almost 2 years. Purchased it used. Had little problem with transmission - needed to flush. Other then that car runs excellent and does 30-31 MPG on a highway and 20 in a city. I love it. I wonder why all reviews have overage MPG much lower then I get?

1 2 3