2005 X-Type

2005 Jaguar X-Type

2005 Jaguar X-Type

4.5

Have You Driven the 2005 Jaguar X-Type?

Disturbingly reliable and amazingly comfortable.

by Nige from Lynn, ma on Fri Jan 29 2010

2005 Xtype - 3.0 I drove 22k miles in mine in 2008 from (39k to 61k) and think its the most comfortable reliable car I have ever owned. I've only been to the dealer twice, once every 10k miles for a regular service, and have been pleasantly suprised at how little it cost, on average $500 a time. Handling is excellent, i love pulling off the highway at 55 with someone tailgating me and watching them struggle as I dont slow down and they have to. Performance is good, and economy is acceptable, I average 23mpg in mixed driving with about 70% highway. 28 mpg is possible if you do 100% highway and stick to the speed limits.

Best Value-to-$ I've found!

by Mike the Car Fanatic from Charlotte, NC on Thu May 17 2007

What a find! The X-Type has been sometimes maligned as a "pricey Taurus" (ne: Ford's purchase of Jaguar in the late '80s) or worse. I'm convinced those who think this have never looked closely at, much less driven, the "Baby Jag." But, as long as this is the prevailing opinion, you will find a 2-3 year old X-Type w/all the bells & whistles for $20K or UNDER! Compares to a Mercedes C-Class or BMW 3-Series costing $5-6K more, & the X-Type is roomier & more nicely appointed. The interior materials are 1st class, fit & finish are superb, & I think it has it's own unique style w/the quad headlamps, muscular rear fenders, & classic, even elegant look. The "J-Gate" shifter is unique, but then, Jags have always been unique! Power from the 3.0L V-6 is more than adequate, & ALL X-TYPES ARE ALL-WHEEL DRIVE! Makes for absolutely SUPERB handling. Jaguar offered a transferable 4-year/50K warranty until very recently, including free scheduled maintenance every 10K miles. The JD Power rating is quite favorable, so I don't know why Jag scaled back their warranty, except for their apparently tenuous corporate financial situation. Even the one drawback of mine, the almost-white leather seats (I still have kids at home), is on balance a positive, as the contrast w/the generous use of real wood trim & the dark brown carpets is, well, classy! I believe the Jaguar X-Type is one of the best-kept secrets of the European car market, certainly on a par w/anything else comparable from "across the pond," or the US, or JAPAN! I'm sold on this car!

Extreamly Fun to Drive

by Jag Lover from Salt Lake City, UT on Tue Jul 22 2008

I have owned a 2005 3.0 for one year. The funest car I have ever owned! I have had Infiniti, Lexus, VW, and this car is by far the best handling vehicle I have had. AWD is a dream during winter, and we get good snow in Salt Lake City. Use the J-Gate Auto-Manual and let it pull 7000 RPM and have fun as you go thru all 5 gears. The 3.0 24 Valve V6 just sings. So much car for the money! Everyone says Ford hurt the Value of this vehicle. Ford improved and made this vehicle very affordable to the average Joe. I was thinking of selling mine (I only keep my cars a year) I can't find anything 20K - 25K I would rather have. If you are considering, check it out, Buy It you will love it!

I Love My Kitty Kat

by Kitten from Baltimore, MD on Mon Aug 06 2012

Purchased the car for my B-Day. Has 53K miles, its a 2005. & purrrrrrrrs like a kitten. I've had Mercedes E-class and this is by far a better vehicle, and i paid twice as much for the Mercedes and had nothing but problems.....If you have the opportunity to buy one buy it.

Jaguar x type

by Floyd-1 from Ohio on Mon Dec 07 2009

I have owned one since 07 and I think it is a great car,best looking car on the street.would like to buy another one soon. I live up north so the all wheel drive is great.

Great Wagon For The Weekend

by surfjunky from Santa Barbara on Wed Jan 21 2009

I needed a wagon for all my toys. I had an 01' BMW 528 wagon prior and this Jaguar 3.0 AWD wagon is a very close match to my Beemer. It is slightly smaller but makes up for that in comfort and styling. I can't tell you how many positive comments I receive on this automobile! The ride is a little noisy, but this could be due to the low profile tires that it sits on. The seats are pure comfort. Long drives are a pleasure. You can't get a better deal or "bang for your buck" wagon on the second hand market than the Jaguar 3.0 wagon X-Type! I wish they had continued to make the line.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

On our second X-type

by steve from Brownfield, ME on Thu Mar 04 2010

We leased an '02 X-Type 2.5 for my wife in 2002 and we drove it almost 50K. Had a couple of non mechanical problems with it, but the dealer was great. In '05 we purchased a 2005 3.0 and have 95,000 on it now. Knock on wood (it's nicely appointed with it!!) it's been in once for none warranty work (cost us $126.00) and routine maintainence. Best car we ever owned, including a really nice handling Peuguot STI. We live in snowcountry and the AWD with winter tires makes it so we're never "homebound". It's silly what that car will go through! My only possible complaint is that it's a little cozy to get in and out of. My wife and 5'2" just loves it! I get to drive it once in a while.

I Love MY Kitty Kat

by Kitty Kat from baltimore on Mon Aug 27 2012

I love her...had lexus, had mercedes...the lexus was good the mercedes terrible and so the the Jag is just awesome. Everybody notices her. She performs very well, handles well. Purchased about a month ago...05 with 53K miles.

From Landrover to Jag

by Ex Brit from Vancouver BC on Tue May 29 2007

Having to part with my preowned 92 classic range rover of more than 10 years i was looking for a 4 x4 wagon that was in my price range. shelling out 40-50 K or more was not an option. An Audi A6 was my first choice but proved to be too pricy. Style was important as much as a name brand that had some elegance and creature comforts for my wife and a large dog. The X type sports wagon seemed to be the best fit. Reliability, not always known in British cars was a consideration. By all accounts the ratings are high and after a week of ownership of a 2005 x -type its too early to say if it will hold true a year from now. First impresions are always easy to form. Like it or hate it. Love the J gate . As a driver of many sports cars over the years ( 45 years of driving) its as close as it gets to a stick shift. Seats are firm and do not currently give me a pain in the back as others have eluded to. Maybe my posture is better. The 3.0 litre sports has as much power as anyone would care for. Rear view mirror vision is a little small when the dog in the back. The use of the wing mirrors is madatory along with a sholder check to the right. despite having a black ( ebony) colour and dark interior i find the inside appealing. The old RR classics are hard to beat for both forward, side and rear visability so for 10 years i have been spoilt. with side air bags and stiffer and bigger A , B & c pillers for rollover situtations those days of thin pillers are gone. None the less after a week of driving both in town and on the highway i love the stance and style. The fit and finish may not be up to Merc , Audi , Acura standard but its a lot less expensive and at the end of the day its a JAG. Would i recomend it to a friend. YES

I own two!

by toughspencer125 from Savannah,GA on Sat Jan 03 2009

I have owned Acuras, Infinitis and this is the classiest looking and best riding car I have ever had. I loved it so much, I bought another one and now my brother drives the one I had. I like how it does not look like every other bland jellybean on the road. I wish they would have replaced it with another reachable Jag for a middle class family.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2005 Jaguar X-Type

Jaguar's decision to bring a wagon to market rather than a beefy, gas-guzzling SUV might have had nothing to do with the threat of rising gasoline prices.

After all, the British automaker made the decision to go ahead with design of the all-new X-type wagon about four years ago, when gasoline prices were at least a dollar a gallon lower than they are now.

And rarely does anyone at Jaguar think much about economy of operation when going about the business of designing a new vehicle for the company's luxury-car lineup. After all, some of the company's most-expensive models are notorious gas hogs.

But in light of the recent huge spikes in gasoline prices and the concerns that consumers -- including many... Read More