Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1997 Cherokee

1997 Jeep Cherokee

4.5

Have You Driven the 1997 Jeep Cherokee?

Old one, New one...

by CoffeeHound from Hunlock Creek Pa. on Wed Aug 18 2010

Well, its been a long time coming, but im finally getting one of my own. My mother had the exact same model and year as the one im going to buy today...in line 6ers are unbeatable. That jeep ran for the better part of 217.000 miles on it with no big fixes except something with the radiator, until my brothers ex-wife rolled it. But I did spend a great deal of time for my first year of driving with this jeep and would highly recommend them to anyone. Also, amazing in the snow, im from Pa. and we usually get pretty bad winters.

Original SUV

by Jeeper from 45420 on Mon Jan 17 2011

I've driven several Jeeps in my life, my last one a Wrangler. However, with a family that includes two small ones, the Wrangler wasn't meeting our needs. I needed a 4 door and the Cherokee fit the bill perfectly. Everyone in the family can get in on their own without having to climb over everything and with the 4 wheel drive, snow barely slows us down. The 6 cylinder engine has plenty of power. The interior comfortably fits 4. We could squeeze another in the middle if we needed too. We have two large dogs that fit quite comfortably in the rear even with our cargo. Fuel efficiency isn't the best in the world, but it's no surprise.

1997 Jeep Cherokee Classic

by Jeep from on Mon May 07 2012

Great car on and off road. Dents easily and handles a little rough, but is so incredibly reliable. With regular maintenance, this car will never fail to run. The body of the car is very easy to dent but looks great regardless.

Love my XJ

by xjandxk from Raleigh, NC on Tue Jun 23 2015

I love my Cherokee. I haven't had it long, but it has 233,000 miles on it, and I have never had any issues with the drivetrain. I have replaced lots of suspension components, but that's because it is lifted. I love the looks and the heritage of the vehicle. The 4.0L has plenty of power, even with the vehicle being lifted. I have never felt the transmission slip. Keep the oil changed and don't let it overheat and the Jeep will run forever. When something does need to be fixed, chances are its something you can do yourself. I get compliments all the time and people are shocked when I tell them its a 97 with 233,000 miles.

Uses car for Off-roading

Great all around SUV, Truly a legend.

by jad95 from Pittsburgh, PA on Mon Feb 10 2014

Our 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country has been with our family since 1999 and around 20,000 miles. It now has over 149,000 and couldn't be happier. I gave it 5 stars for everything because in my opinion, there isn't a problem area in the vehicle. It's immensely capable off road, and in snowy Pittsburgh winters, it's never gotten stuck or slipped no matter how difficult the conditions. It's peppy with its torquey 4.0 inline 6. Classic Jeep styling with a simple yet comfortable interior. The reliability has been outstanding, very little other than general maintenance has been needed. The 4.0 engine has been known to run 250k plus without major work. Bottom line, all the good things one may hear are absolutely true.

Excellent

by jarhead from PA and NC on Thu Jan 26 2012

We use this Jeep to get to and from work, church, running errands, camping, hiking, hunting, and hitting any trail we can find. I now have 165,000 miles on this and she still runs like it is new. I have had no major repairs, not even minor repairs outside of lights and belts. The only drawback is the back seats. If the passenger is under 5'4 they will be OK. Any taller than that and the back seat is cramped. The off road and inclement weather capabilities are tops. In short, this is the best SUV I have ever owned.

Can't lose

by Jeepguy from Temecula, CA on Fri Apr 13 2012

I have a 1989 Cherokee with 250,000 miles on the inline 6. Great car and engine. The design did not change for 23 years for a reason. It is one of the best designs ever built.

One of the most reliable and tough vehicles ever.

by Jeeplover from Boise, ID on Thu Mar 01 2018

I have been able hunt, camp, pull trailers, load to transport heavy purchases, cart my dogs in, and it has been one of the best vehicles Ive owned. Easy to drive, comfortable, and built to last. This engine goes and goes. Theres no stopping it, as long as you provide maintenance, its aweome.

If your looking for a jeep, get this one.

by greyhound cars from denver colorado on Sat Jun 23 2018

This car is amazing for being 20 years old with almost everything in working order! great off roader, would definatly call it the last real jeep.

Jeep Cherokee

by Jax from on Mon May 22 2017

Just bought my third Jeep Cherokee. I was hooked after the first because they are just so much fun to drive.

1 2

Our Take on the 1997 Jeep Cherokee

When it made its debut in 1984, the Jeep Cherokee was in a class by itself. It was the only four-door sport utility vehicle.

Fast forward to 1997 and the Cherokee is surrounded by usurpers to the throne. But one drive in a 1997 Cherokee will convince you that the others are merely traveling a well-worn path.

Still, even a pioneer needs a new set of duds now and then. For 1997, Chrysler has shed some of the gremlins built into the vehicle by Jeep's former owner, AMC. That means a smoother one-piece grille up front and rounded-off front quarter panels. The vent windows have been banished to the scrap heap of history. The back end gets a new look as well, giving it a family resemblance to... Read More