1997 Jeep Cherokee

Old one, New one...

by from Hunlock Creek Pa. on August 18, 2010

Well, its been a long time coming, but im finally getting one of my own. My mother had the exact same model and year as the one im going to buy today...in line 6ers are unbeatable. That jeep ran for the better part of 217.000 miles on it with no big fixes except something with the radiator, until my brothers ex-wife rolled it. But I did spend a great deal of time for my first year of driving with this jeep and would highly recommend them to anyone. Also, amazing in the snow, im from Pa. and we usually get pretty bad winters.

Love my XJ

by from Raleigh, NC on June 23, 2015

I love my Cherokee. I haven't had it long, but it has 233,000 miles on it, and I have never had any issues with the drivetrain. I have replaced lots of suspension components, but that's because it is lifted. I love the looks and the heritage of the vehicle. The 4.0L has plenty of power, even with the vehicle being lifted. I have never felt the transmission slip. Keep the oil changed and don't let it overheat and the Jeep will run forever. When something does need to be fixed, chances are its something you can do yourself. I get compliments all the time and people are shocked when I tell them its a 97 with 233,000 miles.

Uses car for Off-roading

Original SUV

by from 45420 on January 17, 2011

I've driven several Jeeps in my life, my last one a Wrangler. However, with a family that includes two small ones, the Wrangler wasn't meeting our needs. I needed a 4 door and the Cherokee fit the bill perfectly. Everyone in the family can get in on their own without having to climb over everything and with the 4 wheel drive, snow barely slows us down. The 6 cylinder engine has plenty of power. The interior comfortably fits 4. We could squeeze another in the middle if we needed too. We have two large dogs that fit quite comfortably in the rear even with our cargo. Fuel efficiency isn't the best in the world, but it's no surprise.

Great all around SUV, Truly a legend.

by from Pittsburgh, PA on February 10, 2014

Our 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country has been with our family since 1999 and around 20,000 miles. It now has over 149,000 and couldn't be happier. I gave it 5 stars for everything because in my opinion, there isn't a problem area in the vehicle. It's immensely capable off road, and in snowy Pittsburgh winters, it's never gotten stuck or slipped no matter how difficult the conditions. It's peppy with its torquey 4.0 inline 6. Classic Jeep styling with a simple yet comfortable interior. The reliability has been outstanding, very little other than general maintenance has been needed. The 4.0 engine has been known to run 250k plus without major work. Bottom line, all the good things one may hear are absolutely true.

1997 Jeep Cherokee Classic

by from on May 7, 2012

Great car on and off road. Dents easily and handles a little rough, but is so incredibly reliable. With regular maintenance, this car will never fail to run. The body of the car is very easy to dent but looks great regardless.

Excellent

by from PA and NC on January 26, 2012

We use this Jeep to get to and from work, church, running errands, camping, hiking, hunting, and hitting any trail we can find. I now have 165,000 miles on this and she still runs like it is new. I have had no major repairs, not even minor repairs outside of lights and belts. The only drawback is the back seats. If the passenger is under 5'4 they will be OK. Any taller than that and the back seat is cramped. The off road and inclement weather capabilities are tops. In short, this is the best SUV I have ever owned.

Can't lose

by from Temecula, CA on April 13, 2012

I have a 1989 Cherokee with 250,000 miles on the inline 6. Great car and engine. The design did not change for 23 years for a reason. It is one of the best designs ever built.

It serves it purpose

by from Tallahassee FL on August 14, 2017

The car had enough spaces and even the air conditioning is great, there is even a cruise control which allows for easy movement and easy to drive as the hand is soft and easy to turn

bulletproof amazing vechicle

by from Nappanee on August 18, 2017

never left me stranded on the side of the road. this jeep is the pinnacle of a car you want for reliability.

Jeep Cherokee

by from on May 22, 2017

Just bought my third Jeep Cherokee. I was hooked after the first because they are just so much fun to drive.

Our Expert Review: 1997 Jeep Cherokee