2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews

4.4
Average based on 21 reviews

03 Overland

by from Las Vegas on December 30, 2008

This was the 4th Jeep to enter my family. I've also had the opportunities to drive most of the other modern models. My family currently has a 94 Wrangler, 98 Cherokee, 01 Cherokee limited. I've always loved jeeps. They never let us down. I bought this to be the Family vehicle for myself, my brother’s family, and my Parents. It's big enough for what ever we needed; I just transported a Closet/wardrobe INSIDE the jeep. It’s easy enough for my mother to handle; she’s an older lady use to the older softer type vehicles. It’s pretty enough every body can be proud to be seen it, and dependable enough for all of us to fall back on. It's also just full of smiles; just press down on the gas and you can't help but smile. I love the handling; the AWD works flawlessly, and has convinced me that I’ll try to have AWD on all my future vehicles. I've only had two problems. The radiator needed to be replaced at 65k, something punctured it, and the heated seats seem to have gone dead. Haven't had time to look at them yet, but I've already found a complete break down and repair write up online. I gave it 4 stars because of the heated seats that have gone bad. It’s got 75k on it and the longer I own this jeep the more I’m impressed with it. Only reason I gave it 4 stars on the value for the money, is 40k is a lot for a vehicle. Hey, I’m cheap. I've driven the older(ZJ), and the newer(WK) Grand Cherokee. The prior were not Luxury enough to be THE Luxury model of the brand, and the newer have gotten too ergonomic, in that they almost force you to sit their way. This Grand is sooo comfortable in the front or the back seats. It's been on several road trips to CA, AZ, and TX, and I'm sure it will see more. This Review is for the OVERLAND, as the Laredo, the Limited, and Overland are all 3 very different in their handling, performance, and in their comfort levels.

Check engine code problems

by from Dallas, TX on July 7, 2008

Apperance and comfort are good but I have constant problems with this Jeep that I bought new. Both front window motors have gone out, and every 6 months my check engine light comes on. It's always a new problem that cost me money b/c I'm over the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. I only have 48,000 miles!!!

It's a jeep thing you wouldn't understand it

by from Mississauga.On on September 24, 2008

Three weeks ago I purchased the 03 Grand Cherokee Overland w/150k on it. The day I came to pick it up at the dealership I noticed that the steering pump was noisy and hard to turn to the left. They fixed it free of charge and ever since that it has been pure pleasure. The only draw back I can find is the 17" weels as you can't put any off road tires on it, and although it comes w/up country suspension it still looks a bit low. Other than that I love it.

A surprise and a blessing.

by from PA on July 16, 2012

Being 18, I was lucky to have a car at all. My 2002 Pontiac Montana DIED on me after spending $2300 repairing the engine. I decided to get a new car, but being 18 I have little to no credit. I tried everywhere to get a car loan and was denied everywhere. I went to a small dealership owned by a very kind elderly man in his 70's. He tried very hard for me and had me test drive a Dodge Journey. I was denied for the Journey but the old man didn't give up for me, he had me test drive a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I fell in love with. I had to have this Jeep. I was too turned down for the Jeep at the price of $8500. The elderly man tried so hard and kept trying until he dropped the price to $5800 which got me approved. The Jeep has been the best car I have ever driven. I have had ZERO problems with it. The 4.0 gets about 21 mpg which is very good by my standards. I will be buying a 2011 Grand Cherokee soon but I'm still keeping my 2003. I would recommend the Grand Cherokee to anybody, it just keeps going and refuses to let me down.

Jeep: an American Standard

by from the Mountains (AT), North Carolina on August 8, 2007

I have owned a jeep for over three years now and have been very happy. A bout a year ago I traded in my older box jeep for an upgrade. When I went to college I got an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee with about 50,000 miles on it. I find that as long as I have it serviced at a certified Jeep Dealership I do not have any problems, and feel that the car is very reliable. The handling and power are great in the larger Engine (V8) of the Limited Editions, but I found that the Laredo, with its six cylinder engine, was a little jumpy when acellerating at an incline (I live in the mountains). The Grand Cherokee handles well on the curves of the mountain roads and stays balanced, never giving that top heavy feeling. It also does great on the highway when accelerating into traffic, changing lanes, or passing. There is plenty of cargo space, and the back seats lay down flush with the floorbaord of the cargo area, creating even more space. The design of the interior/exterior is edgy enough to look like an SUV, without being so rounded that it looks like a mini-van. The only drawback I have found with the Grand Cherokee is that it is not the most fuel effecient car. Overall the car has proved to be a wise purchase and well worth the money. When it came time for my baby sister to get a car, I didn't want her to be in anything else. I feel the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a great car, and has worked out great for the both of us!

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee

by from Salisbury, MD on February 6, 2013

Love this JEEP! My wife still drives her 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 200K mils still no issues. The thing WILL NOT DIE. I wanted a newer version with all the bells but not a car payment. So I found a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 98K on it for 6K. Leather, sun roof, every option available. This Jeep runs great, looks new. Thank you Cars.Com for your help locating it.

"Most Reliable Car I've Owned"

by from New Jersey on August 24, 2006

This car has been maintained very well, oil changed ever 3,000 miles. It has never let me down and I have never had any problem with this car.

1st Jeep

by from Central Coast, NSW, Australia on December 2, 2014

Just purchased our first jeep, even though it is 2nd hand and has over 250k on it, she runs like a new car very reliable very nice to drive. Can see myself in this little gem for years to come.

i love my baby!

by from Murland on April 30, 2012

My dad bought my jeep new in 2003,when i was 7. at first, i didnt like it because he had just sold his truck that i loved. regardless, this has been the best suv to come into our family. this car has been so good that my dad is trusting enough of the car to give it to me. it just hit 60,000 miles and my dad has kept it in tip-top condition. my baby runs amazing. the only major thing we have had to replace was the window motors, but it was on two different times. if you ever get the chance to either ride in one or own one, you wont regret that chance. it also goes on the beach with no problems, we dont even need the 4 wheel drive. i honestly love my jeep and plan on getting my kids jeeps when they are old enough to drive. this is one of the best cars. actually the whole jeep line is amazing. after i get out of nursing school, i plan on getting a wrangler as well as keeping my jeep!

2003 jeep

by from Ohio on December 6, 2015

This grand cherokee is great.Has every thing you would want. The 4.7 HQ has lots of power and it's Trail Rated model.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)