2003 Liberty

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2003 Jeep Liberty?

My Dream Car

by Ace from Douglassville, PA on Wed Aug 05 2009

I bought my Jeep Liberty 4 years ago, and haven't had a single problem! It handles great in the snow, as well as off-road and on hills. My husband uses it like he would a truck for hauling and heavier work. The gas mileage is pretty good for an SUV, too. The only problem is that there isn't really a whole lot of passenger room in the backseat.

Jeep Love Rock On

by Jeep Love Rock On from on Thu Oct 16 2014

Had my jeep for 8 years until it saved my life from a drunk driver. she hit a light pole and rolled 3 times on me. My husband and I walked away without a scratch. Best purchase i ever bought. wish i could have her back.

GREAT CAR

by CARREVIEWER from NEWARK, NJ on Sun Mar 10 2013

THIS CAR IS 100% SAFE. IT HAS A V6 ENGINE AND YOU CAN LET YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER HAVE THIS CAR. AS A FIRST CAR. I TEST DROVE IT AND IT WAS A BLAST. NO INREST IN BUYING ALREADY HAVE ONE

It's not too bad of a car

by LadyRed from Savannah, Georgia on Tue Aug 22 2017

The Jeep liberty isn't too bad of a vehicle to own. I've had my 2003 jeep Liberty for about 7 years, and it's been mostly reliable. I say mostly because after about 170k miles it seems one thing goes bad, then everything else goes bad. Like a domino effect of some sort. It gets alright gas mileage, but it's kind of on the low end at 17/21. I typically fill up 2-3 times a week between driving to go to school and driving around for work. But after about 190k miles, I'd day expect to spend a good bit of money on new parts. Hopefully whomever buys the vehicle won't have many problems like I've had. The good parts is that it is a small SUV, so people fit comfortably in the front and back seats. I'm pretty small, at 4'11, but I've had friends as tall as 6'3 riding with no complaints. Also the Jeep has a very good turning radius, which makes u-turns pretty easy, and the handling of the car is decent. The only reason(s) I wouldn't recommend is because of the problems I've personally had with my Jeep.

Does not recommend this car!!

Big Bang For Your Buck

by LilJeepJeep from Salem, Va on Mon May 28 2018

Goofy appearance aside, this car has been everything I needed and more. The heated dual power seats make riding more comfortable, the automatic moon roof allows for a breeze or stargazing. It?s been up mountains, down valleys, all over - it?s great for car camping and with the seats down, it?s the perfect space to huddle in out of the rain.

Great in the snow

by rickg from Las Vegas, NV on Sun Jul 08 2018

Lived in snow country before and nothing I drove was better than the Liberty. 4WD was awesome in my hilly town and my steep driveway. Never worried how deep the snow was. Plus design of car was cool and leather interior was a treat. Lot of room for my eighty pound dog too!

Awesome for the winter

by Mirandarenee827 from Lancaster, NY on Thu Aug 09 2018

This was my first car. It was awesome in the winter and the 4x4 has saved me from being stuck MANY times. It was great for transporting up to four people and does have room for car seats! Tons of space in the trunk

Currently Smoking from the headers it seems

by john do on Wed Jul 26 2017

Externally and internally its a great value but you may need to do some work on the engine. With the smoke from under the hood id suggest getting a repair quote before purchase.

Good first car

by Pmfowler from Mckinney, Tx on Thu Oct 18 2018

This was my first car and we bought it used at 120k miles. It has lasted me 2 years and now I am ready to upgrade. Had transmission issues during the first year, mechanic told us it needed to be rebuilt for $3000. This was almost as much as we paid so we didn?t bother and I have been driving ever since.

best car I have owned to date

by jeep from Long Island, NY on Sat Jun 28 2014

I bought my Jeep new and now have 231,000 miles. I have changed my oil every 3k and don't abuse the truck when I drive. At 210k I probably would have bought a new car but I have a friend who is a mechanic and he has been keeping the car going as the last 20k things have been needing replacing but as I only pay for the parts it makes sense to pay to keep the car. Of all the cars I have owned I have got more mileage out of this car with the least amount spent on maintenance. The 2nd generation models 2008-2012 take a lot of abuse on the various auto websites but the 2003 has been a winner for me.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2003 Jeep Liberty

The Jeep Liberty looks like one of those "cute utes," small, all-wheel-drive machines destined for no more demanding work than cruising the lot at the local mall - not to say that can't be an adventure.

It's a little bulbous looking, and the proportions are such that it looks much smaller than it really is. I still find it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that it's actually bigger than the Cherokee, which it has supplanted in the Jeep lineup. But it goes nearly 4,000 pounds in fighting trim, and stretches 174 inches, despite having a tidy 104-inch wheelbase.

You can make it less than a cute ute by ordering it with 2-wheel-drive and a four-cylinder engine (nuts, if you ask me - just get... Read More