1997 Jeep Wrangler

economy? no. cool? yes

by from washington,dc on April 4, 2008

this car is designed very well and for a specific purpose. it is not fuel efficient or super plush inside. it is super rugged, durable, dependable and fun to drive. it looks cool and can be endlessly customized. and it will go any where and never get stuck. if you are looking for luxury, keep looking. if you want a workhorse that will last forever, this is it.

97 TJ 5 spd 4 cyl

by from Phoenixville,PA on May 28, 2013

I was a little timid about buying a 4 cyl jeep. However, this guy surprised me with the pick up it actually does have. I wouldn't suggest it for constant highway/interstate driving but it's great for what I need it to do. It runs better than some newer cars I've driven and it's reassuring to know that if something does happen... Parts are cheap! 4 wheel drive is convenient to have when needed and if I feel like going and getting muddy or getting around on the farm I know I can without a problem!

There's simply nothing like a Jeep.

by from Parkersburg, WV on November 6, 2009

Jeeps have been through it all. From WWII to this day. Jeep has made the ultimate utiliy vehicle and gave us the first SUV ever, so there must be a good reason why there's so many of them on the road today. I own and drive daily a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport (6cyl.) auto. 135,000 miles and I must say that this vehicle is like no other. I'm 19 now and I've been around Jeeps my whole life....for a good reason too. I have driven several different vehicles and there is no doubt that the Wrangler is by far the most fun vehicle that money can buy. NO, it is not good on gas, I average 12 mpg every tank if I'm lucky (living in WV doesn't help matters). The straight six (258) motor is one of the strongest on the road. They're the ultimate work horse. Torque is unbelievable...especially in 4WD LOW, you can pull anything and idle up any steep grade hill. Although highway driving is annoying, especially on a windy day, it's worth every mile even if you can't keep up with that punk in the mustang and I wouldn't be afraid to drive it across the country. Snow, mud, rocks, sand, you name it, the Wrangler will ease through anything it's introduced to. The summer time is awesome...top down, doors off, windshield down (if you like bugs in you face), and you've got yourself a tanning booth with good tunes. When you own a Jeep, you become part of a family, a Jeep family, and yes, all fellow Jeepers wave to eachother, and will always strike up a conversation with you. So, in conclusion, if you are looking for a reliable, customizable, durable, fun, go anywhere & do anything vehicle, then the Jeep Wrangler is for you.

Most Reliable C...er Jeep I've Owned.

by from Rochester, NY on February 20, 2007

I bought it used a couple years ago with 110,000 miles on it. It still runs like a top and now has 132,000 miles on it. Since I bought it, I have only had to make two moderate repairs to it. One was a waterpump, the other was a radiator. The radiator shouldn't really count since it was cracked by a stone that kicked up off the road. My particular Jeep is stripped down bare. 4cyl, 5spd. It didn't even come with a radio. Eh, who needs one? If your want a vehicle that's quiet and smooth.... Buy a Roadmaster. If you want a vehicle that is fun to drive, will introduce you to great people and will get you to your destination no matter what or where, then get a Jeep.

must fun car i had

by from Camuy, PR on July 2, 2011

I truly enjoy driving the Wrangler with open soft top. use it for everything. Has gain value over time!

Best Vehicle, Most Fun, Go any where do anything

by from New Jersey on June 12, 2007

Jeep are the best made vechicles. no matter what you do to them they are easily fixed and they will run forever! Very reliable...engines are very strong and well built!

Too much fun

by from Hudson Ohio on May 12, 2015

Bought this 97 Jeep Wrangler last October. It was great to drive in the winter. But now that it is warm out, it is a blast to drive with the top down. It is more fun than should be legal! When buying a used older Jeep, be sure to check the frame for rust. They tent to rust from the inside out. Repairing the frame can be quite expensive.

Never go back

by from on December 17, 2015

Warning, once you buy a Jeep you will never go back. I love my 97 SE auto wrangler. 4 cyl is not ideal for highway driving but I still do it every day. I have had a few issues, ie. radiator, transmission. Never the less I fix it and go on. Summer diving topless is fun beyond words. I have had it for 3 months and I still drive down the road with a huge smile on my face. Off road handling is better than any other car. I love to go mudding in it. Its hard to get stuck. Again, if you buy a Jeep Wrangler you will fall in love and never go back.

Good Jeep

by from Benbrook, TX on June 8, 2014

Bought a 97 Wrangler (actually my son bought it) with 155k miles.from a dealership. It was about to go to a wholesaler so we got a great deal on it. It wasn't all detailed out and the dealer fixed a couple of minor issues on it to pass inspection then it was good to go.The jeep has a 3" body lift with 33" mud tires and everything works fine on it . It runs like a typical jeep and so far, no problems after one month.

The most fun vehicle you could ever own.

by from colorado springs, co on May 25, 2007

I have owned this jeep since 2001. It is a 6cyl and my wife and kids beg to take it out for a spin. Its not the best on gas but it is the most fun you can have driving.

Our Expert Review: 1997 Jeep Wrangler