2001 Optima

3.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Good Car for the money

by Have Driven All Makes from Seaford, VA on December 15, 2008

I have owned all makes of cars, and surprise this little car has proven itself.I have the SE model and it came with everything but a seat warmer. It now has well over 100000 miles and nothing major has gone wrong with it and the company has BACKED its warranty with never a problem. Paint has held up, engine and drive train. Even the interior plastic parts that seem to warp and crack in other makes look new to this date. The V6 offers a pretty quick acceleration and it handles well. Recommend with confidence.

Great Car!

by Care Bear from STL, MO on February 10, 2010

I owned an Optima for 4 years and never had any major problems with it; just regular maintenance. I was impressed with the amount of trunk space this car had. The interior is also spacious; on multiple occasions, I fit a full sized mountain bike in the back seat. Smooth riding and great gas mileage. I would recommend this car to others, as well as buy another one myself.

Best all around Car I owned

by Highway Driver from New York, New York on October 7, 2010

Owned for over 9 years. Everything still works! No major repairs. Very comfortable. Good value compared to Honda and Toyota. I purchased the 4cyl since the 6cyl was only rated 10 more hp.

Does the Job

by Watched too much Top Gear from Winchester, TN on October 11, 2012

Bought this car (2001 Kia Optima SE V6) at 90k miles and have had it for two years. In a word, this car is average. The engine (V6) is sufficient, but not exactly exciting. The 4-speed automatic transmission is outdated and less than ideal. The shifts are slow and slushy and it likes to put you in 4th as soon as possible and leave you there. On a more positive note, the car carries its weight low and the suspension has a good balance between firmness and comfort (for my preference at least). There is quite a bit of road noise, but it handles better than expected. I get between 20 and 25 mpg depending on how i drive it. The interior is roomy (I'm 6'5" and have just enough head room, but plenty of leg room) and trunk space is very good. I find the leather(?) seats a little flat and hard. I'm over 100k miles now and reliability has been fairly good. The bearings will need to be replaced at about the 100k mark, but (radio death and bits of chrome falling off aside) the old girl is holding together well. As a whole, the car has a slight sense of cheapness about it, but that's because it is cheap. If you're looking for a used family sedan, this is a good alternative to a Camry or Accord, and chances are you can save a couple of grand. This car can be a good buy if you inspect it first and keep in mind that this is neither a sports nor a luxury car. It will, however, get you where you need to go, and just might grow on you. It has me.

good car

by happyjoy from on July 4, 2009

the best cheap car i bought,i will always recommend this car to another person. any who buys this car should have some fun with this car.

The worst car I have ever got

by Deanna from Highland Park on October 26, 2006

I bought my very first new car in 2001 at first the car was doing good. The last year I had put so much work in to this Kia Optima. I had at the time 60,000 miles Right as my warrenty was up I needed an o2 senser yes all 3. Then needed alternator, now I needed an axcel on both sides of the car, plus timing belt. All this happen right at 64,000 miles. Now I am at 84,000 I am almost done paying my car off. Lord please do not let anything else go wrong. My complain is how can this car needed all this work within 4 year time. So will I tell anyone not to buy it no would not sale mines to anyone n( I will never give anyone this problem) Kia cars are the worst I have friends that have other cars by Kia and right at 64,000 everthing went wrong. Is it a timer on these cars that at 64,000 it goes bad? I understand cars are going to go down, but right after the warrenty is up yea right Please think twice before buying a kia, in fact don't think at all don't get one

Does not recommend this car!!

Waste of money

by Jbass from on February 28, 2017

I have had to replace the alternator, battery, gas lines, fuel filter, and my a/c compressor needs replaced. My car still dies on me at random points while I am driving.

Does not recommend this car!!

Our Expert Review: 2001 Kia Optima