2013 Optima Hybrid

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid

4.5

Have You Driven the 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid?

So far so good

by First Hybrid from San Diego, CA on Mon May 06 2013

Recently bought the 2013 Kia Optima LX Hybrid. I only have a little over 1300 miles on it so far but the mpg that everyone complains about for the 2011 and 2012 KOH models seems to have been fixed. That might explain why the 2013 KOH took 6 months later to be released than the 2013 non hybrids version of the Optima. Here is a summary of my experience: 1) The biggest weakness of this car by far for me is the blind spot. Must be extra careful and check your 5 and 8 o'clock position before changing lanes. 2) The battery improvement of the 2013 model is doing wonders to the mpg. Nothing like going 75-80 mph on the freeway and see the electric engine is running and gas engine at 0 RPM. I read somewhere that the electric engine can run up to 65 mph but apparently, it's active even in the 80 mph zone for the 2013 KOH. 3) I'm 40% normal street and 60% freeway driving. I'm averaging 39 mpg on the city and 42 mpg on the freeway. Manual calculation brings it down to 38 mpg on city and 41 mpg on freeway. Note that I drive around 70-80 mph on freeway in Southern California and not the 60 mph that everyone says would give the mpg its best. You might get shot if you drive 60 mph on the freeway in SoCal. 4) My personal experience so far for the hybrid to achieve the mpg that I've been getting is not about how fast or slow you go, it's that you need to minimize the acceleration/deceleration as much as possible. When you're at a constant cruising speed, the electric engine will kick in and keep that speed going. You can choose to go with the constant 70 mph with the electric engine on and save gas or keep accelerating to 80 mph then decelerate to 60 mph and use the gas engine to get bad mpg. The only exception to that rule is when the car is going uphill, the car will almost always use the gas engine to get the power to climb. 5) I'm not experiencing the electric to gas engine switch jerkiness that everyone is talking about. I've never driven the 2011/2012 KOH before so I can't confirm the difference with the 2013 model but I can say the switch from electric to gas is not noticeable at all for me. I usually have to look at the panel to see which mode it's in. With that said, the EVO mode for the 2013 KOH is exactly as I read what others have experienced for the previous models. Turn off the EVO feature and the car drives just like any other non hybrid cars. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. It's only ~1300 miles but it's living up to my expectations so far.

Amazing Non the less

by V from omaha, ne on Sun Jan 18 2015

I've had 2013 Optima for yr and a half, @ 28000mi. I have had no Problem with it so far, Love the C.Y.A. Plan that my dealer offered, along with the on board maintenance count down really keeps me worry free. At my most efficient drive, I had the MPG counter to 62.3 and distance to empty at 637 full tank. average drive I'm getting about 33mpg city/45mpg hwy-mi.

Beautiful Car, variable mpg

by OregonCommuter from Oregon on Thu Sep 25 2014

We've driven our 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid more than 30,000 miles and we are very happy with this beautiful car. The mpg changes a lot according to the weather. On a sunny summer day we'll get 41 mpg, the same route on a cold, rainy winter day averages 34 mpg. This car is comfortable and quiet on the highway and gets excellent mileage on windy mountain roads. We have had no issues mechanical or otherwise. We've read the online reviews about the powertrain and we haven't experienced any of the rough transitions that are mentioned. The car has a lot of pep, which we enjoy.

So far a great car.

by Dallas Mike from Dallas, TX on Mon Aug 04 2014

I've owned my Optima Hybrid LX for about 3 months now and have about 4,000 miles on it. Love the look and so far it's a great car. Ride is comfortable, lots of options for the money, and I'm averaging mid-30's with manually calculated milage. Living here in Texas, i've seen the mpg go down some as we've moved into the time of year where the air conditioning is on pretty much all the time I drive. I've also noticed that trips with hills tend to pull the milage down more compared to trips on relatively flat land. The indicated mpg on the computer seems to be about 1 to 3 miles per gallon more optimistic than what I calculate. All said, coming from a Sonata turbo where I was averaging 25-27 overall, I'm very happy with the increased milage (I do miss the turbo power at times, but the Optima has plenty of power for normal driving). Blind spots on the rear corners is there, you just have to make sure you're checking them. I've put a small convex mirror up to the right of the rearview mirror, aiming it towards the right side blind spot area, and that really helps. It' one of the small mirrors they sell to watch kids in the back seat. Fit and finish is great, and I've noticed that both Kia and Hyundai have made great progress to the point that their vehicles compare well to the Japanese brands. You do seem to get a lot more for your money compared to Toyota, Honday, Nissan, etc. So far no issues that I've had to take in for warranty, but I feel secure that with the extensive warranty I'm covered if something does come up.

Love this car

by Kia from New jersey on Fri Sep 27 2013

Smooth quite ride,great pick up on highways. Getting 38 mpg city driving, 48 mpg highway. Very comforable. Back up camera, navigation, sound system, sirius all great features. Love driving this car.

This is a complete ride!!!!!

by topgator44 from Orlando,Fl on Tue Mar 04 2014

I traded my 2003 Lexus LS430 for this, and couldn't be happier. My Lexus was in excellent condition, but was just getting old. This car is everything! The mileage is about 38 MPG in town. But I haven't actually done the math .It handles, is quick, and rides great and quiet. It takes a lot to impress a Lexus owner. The car does it. My motto is, "I go to a gas station, and sell them back gas!!!!!!!! To boot, I bought this '13 as a leftover, and got it for a steal!!

deceived by this car

by unknown me from val d'or on Tue Apr 04 2017

ever since i got this car i have been obliged to go to the garage too often for a new car. ive had to change the two front bearings twice on warranty and the control arms (both) so i would not refer this car to anyone!

Does not recommend this car!!

WOW....more value than I had expected

by New Kia Optima owner from Raleigh. NC on Sat Oct 18 2014

I have owned my 2013 Kia Optima Hybrid LX for 5 wks. and I love it. It handles beautifully and looks great. I am getting 37-37.3 mpg always. What a change from the suv I was driving. It glides silently from battery to gas engine. I am so proud that I own this car, I create errands to create a drive. The back seat is spacious and I feel that it is the safest car I have ever owned. If you are undecided about buying an Optima,BUY....

Finely tuned and efficient like a Stradivari

by Dr. WB from Northbrook, IL on Sat Aug 17 2013

I am a raving fan of this car and love the hybrid's surprisingly smooth, quiet, and responsive ride. The remarkable fuel economy is STUNNING. 41-44 MPG in the city. I love the blue tooth, the styling, and the interior layout of the car. Such a pleasure to drive. I also love the way the engine shuts off completely at a stop. So peaceful to drive this car.

Happy Hybrider

by Converted to Kia from Roanoke, VA on Mon Sep 02 2013

Having driven a different brand for 30 years it was a big decision to switch to Kia but I'm glad I did. I have only put 200 miles on my Optima so far but have enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. The car is fun to drive and I expect the kind of reliability of the other brand but with the better styling of the Kia.

1 2 3