1996 Kia Sportage

What a deal way back when

by from Spirit Lake IA on November 7, 2010

I bought my 96 Sportage used from an elderly retired military officer in 1998. It had 14,000 miles. It now has more than 130,000 and it's still my only mode of transit short of two legs. I've been coast to coast in it pack to the hilt. While fully loaded is was tough going over mountains. (Military pcs orders/transfers) I've never owned such a good reliable vehicle. The only problem wasn't because of the vehicle, only the machanic working on it. Timeing Belt he twice put on was for early 96, not late model 96. It took a jet machanic in Belluve NE who doubled as a backyard mechanic to figure that out. Been religous on oil changes, tires. Changed mufflers three time, one cat.converter (under warrantee) and that's it. What a cherry. F. Bumper paint is only issue. Hope the the 2011 version (thinking its time to buy again) is as good but will keep the 96 just in case.

OK CHOICE

by from Joshua,TX. on August 15, 2007

friend had one, neat little car. little squeezed in the back seat though and even if it was just slightly windy you felt like you were being pushed all over the road.

Our Expert Review: 1996 Kia Sportage