2003 Discovery

2003 Land Rover Discovery

2003 Land Rover Discovery

3.9

Have you driven the 2003 Land Rover Discovery?

Great SUV !

by Tech in VA from Manassas, VA on Sat Jun 14 2008

Had a S-10 Blazer, E.B. Explorer, Bronco, 4-Runner, Pathfinder, Trooper, Suburban, 01 Discovery, then this incredible 2003 Discovery - I cannot begin to mention the difference in on road & off road handling improvement from all the others. I thought suvs handled the way did because they were suvs. Not the case with this Disco - snow / off road traction was better, yes, but the thing that impressed me most was the on-road handling. No, it does not handle like a Vette (had one of those too), but compared to the rest of the suvs (even the 01 disco) I've owned, it is a dream machine. Been driving through the tight & curvy back roads of Clifton, VA every day (might as well be mountain roads) & I have to tell you - Does not feel like the vehicle is strained in any way. There are other little things too - Like the interior fit & finish is excellent, AWD works flawlessly, great brakes, steering & pedal feel & feedback to the driver to mention just a few. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. My only complaint is that it does not have good acceleration ? It does fine once you are up to speed, but it takes a bit to get there. Oh, well, small price to pay for (near) perfection? :-D

Love the Disco (car). Hate the disco (music).

by Brit Car Lover from Villa Hills KY USA on Tue Feb 24 2015

Bought it used LR Disco SDII used a year ago with 58k on the odometer. It now has 72k. I absolutely love this car. Bought it for winter and the occasional off road camping trip. It has become my everyday/everywhere car. Gave my wife the Jaguar XJ8 to drive. I love the commanding view and presence of the car. It is so comfortable to drive anywhere. Upgraded the stereo to a Sony and added an amplifier and additional Sony speakers to the cargo area. Now has 18 speakers and 1200 watts. I love my music when cruising in this thing. no real issues to date. Stone cold reliable and in the winter it's so secure and great in the snow. Added roof racks and the Disco gets me to some really off road water launches for my kayak. I absolutely love the placement of the cup holders where you can see and reach your drink in front of you which beats blindly reaching to your side. Has the luxury touches and I feel great just climbing in it all the time. Wish I had purchased one years ago.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

A real head turner!

by Disco Owner from Woodstock, NY on Sat May 05 2007

I've had no problems with my Disco and I love to drive it. It does catch people's eye, especially older Disco owners. Nice features, good room and the dual sunroof is great and provides good air circulation.

Excellent Design

by Jeevanga from Germantown,MD on Fri Dec 22 2017

Beautiful design except the back window. Used to have two of them HSE and SE. Very reliable and strong but terrible gas mileage.

Discovery II

by BobbyLo from Pal Pk on Sun Dec 03 2017

Excellent work horse of an SUV. Snow, floods, sand, etc...nothing would stop this car. Made to take abuse, it is the perfect family car.

Classic and unique style!

by Jp Discovery enthusiasts from Palm Beach, FL on Thu Jul 19 2018

The Discovery is a unique design vehicle that gives you luxury, safety, and off-roading capabilities. Other SUVs give you just one of those aspects. You can distinguish a Discovery from the distance. All other SUVs look alike

Workhorse

by BobbyLo from New York, NY on Mon Feb 12 2018

This is by far the best car that I have ever owned. It is stylish and comfortable and can get around in snow, rain and all sorts of inclement weather. The only car you will ever need

Love This Car, But.....

by Ronnie from Philadelphia, PA on Thu Jan 22 2009

For my first car, I bought a 2003 Disco SE. It was my dream car! I've had it now for about 2 months, and the engine light has already been on for about 3 weeks! I've taken it to several shops, and I've heard everything from bad Oxygen sensors, to bad ignition coils. Unfortunately, the parts for this car are outrageously expensive, and I just don't have the money to get it fixed. With that said, the car has never died on me, or had a problem running, which shows how reliable it is, even with the issues it does have. Gas mileage is not that bad; I fill up about once per week on PREMIUM gas, so you have to be careful when the prices go back up. The amenities are great and you can really understand why it's a luxury car. The leg room is not that good; very tight in the front. All in all, I love this car, and will hopefully be able to enjoy it later in life when I can afford to fix all its quirks. But for now, I must trade it in.

I love the style, but not reliable with age

by moka1327 from Los Angeles, CA on Thu Mar 17 2011

I love Land Rovers. I think the style is so cool, and the 2003 Discovery is the last car to be designed in this unique way before the LR3 took over. I just love how distinctive my car looks, and EVERYONE remembers my car, but it is in the shop a lot (every 4 months or so), and I've only driven it 65K in 8 yrs. It doesn't break down completely - just little things break here and there that need to be addressed. However, that being said the cost of these little things breaking all the time does add up. Just keep that in mind when you get one. But believe me, the car is just beautiful if you don't mind taking it in every few months for various little repairs.

For the driver who loves to spend money

by Jake03 from on Wed Aug 11 2010

This vehicle is plagued with dilemmas, I had mine for 12 awful months before I finally had enough. It's an attractive looking vehicle presenting both an aggressive and sophisticated look but it falls short in most categories, buyer's beware.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2003 Land Rover Discovery

You see a lot of Land Rovers suffering the indignity of serving at polo match tailgate parties (I've noticed as I was driving by). That's a shame, because these are among the world's premier boulder-bashers. But they do have that je ne sais quoi aura about them . . . doesn't hurt that QE II is driven about in one at her country digs.

The big guy, called Range Rover, is the vehicle of choice for those who choose to venture where the prospect of roads lies in the distant future. Unbreakable and ungainly perhaps characterizes them best.

Considerably more agile is the one I tested recently, called simply the Discovery. When it was introduced in 1995, it had no cognomen. With a pretty thorough refresh... Read More