2008 LR2

2008 Land Rover LR2

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have you driven the 2008 Land Rover LR2?

Have you driven a Land Rover Lately ?

by Steve L from New York on Wed Feb 20 2008

I contemplated the purchase of this vehicle for over 3 weeks. My concerns were Land rover reliability and user satisfaction. I am a research type person and after reading all reviews, along with learning that this car was built in the award winning Halewood facility in Liverpool, decided to purchase one. Additionally, I normally drive Lexus and Audi, and have come acustomed to a certain level of quality. The LR2 is absolutely awesome in many ways. While it might not be as fast as the RDX or BMW, it offers a more sophisticated driving experience, which is sort of like a combination of a BMW 3 series with Lexus quiteness and refinement. The car comes nearly loading with every option and driving it is fun. For those of you who are thinking about this car, don't wait, go drive the rest first than come back to the LR2 and you won't be dissapointed. It's probably the best quality Land rover product to date.

Usability of a truck, luxury of a Jaguar

by JEAR Watches from Long Beach, CA on Tue Mar 10 2009

Land Rover is well known in America as being a status symbol, so that part was easy. Unlike the Jag though (and unlike most Land Rover owners) we wanted a capable vehicle. Something able to get the groceries and scale a 45 degree slippery rock face. The dealership takes you on the test course (every dealerships is different) and show you the offroad prowess of the vehicle. It shows the chassis strength, the approch and depart angles, and its abillity not to roll. To see if it really performs you need an offroad park. Your trip there will becomfortable. The seats are supportive and adjustable. The cabin is quite. Gagets galore you will be kept very busy just trying to figure it all out at first, but everything really does make since. I've never been offroading in my life, but it is almost as if the little LR2 is smiling. Glad to be one of the lucky few that ever gets to see dirt. For a novice like myself it is a bit scary. I start going through the trails not knowing what this vehicle can do. Lucky for me Land Rover knows that not every person who buys one of these machines is an experienced explorer. How do I know this? I didn't ask them, but I do assume because they have put in it what I call the "stupid switch" because it makes someone with even as little experience as I do look positively BRILLIANT! Which is allways good. Sometimes we see a Jeep or two at the bottom of a big hill. They are locking in their diferentials, puting it in low gear, analysing the hill. We patiently wait our turn. They eventually get up. We then simply steamroll up the hill. As not to be rude I slow down halfway up. I love my 'Stupid Switch.' We get a lot of stares throughout the day, no doubt a mix of the prestige of the vehicle, the exuberent amount of mud that is on the vehicle, and the fact that it still only has the dealer plates. When we do eventually leave the ride back home is as relaxing as the day was thrilling. Turn on the seat heaters and automatic air conditioning, flick on the cruise control, and just melt into the seat. The car is still quite dirty and the looks get stranger the closer we get to the city, but they are well deserved. Our LR2 is still brimming mirror to mirror.

Never had a problem!

by LlamingtonRover from Madison, WI on Wed Feb 29 2012

I purchased my 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE in November of 2010. I got a an amazing price for it, and it was loaded. I have changed the oil twice, and have put about 17,000 miles on it since I purchased it. I don't have any complaints besides the gas mileage, but then again, it is a Land Rover, so I should have known what I was getting when I purchased it. :)

Take care of the car and it'll take care of you!

by SheShe from Owings Mills, MD on Wed May 18 2016

I bought my LR2 new in 2008! It has never given me serious issues (a hose had yo be replaced that initially mimicked a blown head gasket but it was merely a $100 hose repair)! That's the only issue I've had in 8 years! Take care of the car and it'll take care of you!! If you keep your maintenance up, oil changes as required it's NO PROBLEM! I hear it's on of the best made Land Rovers ever! I've owned 3 models and must say I'm in for life! Great car all around!!!

This car might be my all time favorite!

by car nut from Belleville, Pa on Fri Jun 08 2007

I purchased the LR 2 six weeks ago and my high expectations have been exceeded in every area. Prior to purchasing the Land Rover ,I test drove most competing models including th BMW X3 and the models from Lexus And Acura.I have owned BMW and Mercedes models for many years and currently also own a Subaru Legacy.If I drive the LR2 carefully(maximizing fuel economy) I can attain fuel economy in the 28-30 MPG range . I am averaging 23 MPG in mixed driving. The car has powerful brakes and precise handling. It is a delight to drive as it is exceptionally agile and very comfortable. It is very thoughtfully designed which makes it a pleasure to use on a daily basis.

I love this car

by downsizedSUV from Boston, MA on Sun Nov 25 2007

I have been driving full size pick ups... I bought the new LR2 about 8 weeks ago and I love this car. The only drawback is the greatly reduced space over my prior vehicle, but that is no surprise. I have identified only two small issues. 1. the lack of covered storage in the car, and 2. A set of golf clubs barley fits lengthwise in the back... Another inch would have made a big difference. The Nav system (which includes the premium sound system) is easy to use... The car is comfortable. I am getting a little over 22 MPH on the highway and, just under 19 around town. The main attraction for me on this car was the Land Rover warranty. All normal maintenance covered for the first 50,000 miles. That?s great and even better is the loaner vehicle while the car is in the shop. That does it for me... I feel the car is very well equipped... I'm new to Land Rover , but am sold on this one...

LR2 is a great value

by Cobrak from Greensboro, NC on Tue Oct 13 2009

Great ride, very good handling, content and economy above average with LR looks. Acceleration is adequate and still strong off road with All Terrain system.

Great car

by Happy LR2 Owner from Pittsburgh, PA on Thu Dec 18 2008

Having owned this car for 4 months now, I can honestly say I'm in love. Partly due to the styling of the standard model and partly from the optional cold weather and lighting packages that take luxury to another level. The interior controls are very easy to use and well positioned, aside from the adjustability of the seat which may bother shorter drivers (under 5'4"). The wood grain detailing is very attractive, the moonroof is great and the Bose sound system is superb. The heated seats and turn sensitive lights are great features that come with the packages. The cons are the premium gas/low gas mileage and lack of inital acceleration. The car climbs hills easily but lacks some of the pick-up of the BMW X3. The handling is smooth and the cabin is very quiet. Overall, I absolutely love this car and would purchase it again in a heartbeat.

Solid so far!

by NEPA LR2 Guy from North Eastern PA on Wed Aug 06 2014

I purchased my 2008 LR 2 last year with 48k on it and now have almost 76k. I will average about 35k per year. It has been very reliable so far. I drove it a lot in rough snow and it handled as well as any SUV I've owned, and I've owned Subaru's and Pathfinders. Overall it's been a very solid and reliable car. We'll see if it stands up to the 150k mileage I plan to put on it. So far so good.

Amazing vehicle

by Litboyy from Tampa florida on Fri Mar 31 2017

Looks good, i blacked out mine so it had a stealthy feel. After 100k miles it started slowly dying on me, but after all repairs its good to go

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2008 Land Rover LR2

The all-new 2008 Land Rover LR2 occupies a unique niche among compact SUVs. This class has more premium and luxury models than ever, but the LR2 is the only one designed for real offroad use. Competitors like the Acura RDX and BMW X3 have gone the sport-wagon route, designed strictly for onroad performance and occasional light off-pavement and foul-weather driving. One could argue that offroad ability in vehicles like this is an idea rightly approaching extinction, but Land Rover is an offroad brand that wants all its models to be capable scalers/mudders/waders. The company has managed that in the LR2 while still keeping it remarkably refined and livable in regular driving. It even has some advantages the... Read More