1998 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews

4.0
Average based on 2 reviews

Something Special

by from Michigan on October 27, 2013

In terms of a vehicle that can get you over, to, or around anything, this car does the trick. I owned a 4.6 HSE for four years and really enjoyed it. Overall it could go anywhere, carry nearly anything (due in large part to it's square shape and flat load surface) and did it all in comfort. That being said however there are some serious issue that would stop me from owning one as a daily driver. #1. It is one of the least reliable cars on the road. I know Land Rover have cleaned up their acts a little bit in this department now, but the P38 was one of the least reliable cars I've ever owned. #2. There's no nice way of putting this; it did 11 MPG combined and used premium fuel only. #3. Replacement parts for this car are so difficult to find it will take years off of your life. There was a failure in the fuel pump and the company that produced it went out of business when we attempted to get the part. I spent a good 8 weeks trying to find this one part that no dealer or mechanic could locate on their own. To the point where I found out it was the impeller inside the motor inside the fuel pump that had failed and ended up just replacing that because I could find a replacement fuel pump assembly. Be prepared to pay a lot for parts. All of that being said though this car was a good friend to me. I dealt with all of it's shortcomings because at the end of the day it was something special. The 1998 Range Rover was a very likable car at the end of the day. It had loads of personality from the engine note it gave off to the very rough yet sophisticated styling. I loved that car, and if I could have it as a second car, without having to rely on it daily as a commuter car, I would happily buy another.

Rugged and Very Luxurious

by from Vista, CA on January 7, 2013

This car may be a little behind in the performance department but the commuting comfort, reliability in dangerous road conditions, and the driving feeling of owning the road will make up for it. This is a one of a kind automobile that will keep you going, IF you can afford the gas and the repairs.