2001 GS 430

4.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Great Used car buy

by Iceman from Michigan on December 29, 2010

I have owned this car for just over a year now and have put over 30k miles on it. As far as the other review knocking the snow handling of the car it isn't the car its his choice of tires. I am using General Altimax Artic's and my car sticks to the road in snow and even moderate ice. With 140k mile my car is smooth, silent and packs a 300hp wallop. I am about to have my first major service done since the car's been in my care. My warning light regarding the automatic headlight leveler has just come on but I think that's likely a sensor. This Lexus is a winner. The safety features are also incredible and rival many new cars. Side airbags, ABS with electronic brake force distribution & Vehicle Stability Control keep things under control with the best of the new cars.

Best Car I ever owned

by AMGC63 from New Jersey on July 10, 2015

I am the the original owner of of my 2001 Blue Onyx Lexus GS430. I picked it up in March of 2001 & 14 years later it's still going strong at 192000 miles. I have always done the recommended maintenance & credit that to the cars longevity. It still gives a nice, quiet smooth ride. A truly great car.

Ten Years Old -- Runs Like New

by Comfort Lover from Cambridge, MA on March 29, 2011

We bought this car new in 2001; it now has 97,000 miles on it. Maintained conscientiously, it has had no major problems. Its ride is as comfortable and its performance as powerful as it was when we bought it. On a long trip, it gets over 25 miles per gallon. It was pricey to buy, but has saved us money over the years.

Best car I have ever owned

by Band Randy from Washington, DC on April 22, 2010

I purchased this car 6 months ago. It was nine years old and had 150,000+ miles on it. I could not be more pleased. It is 98% as good as the day it was made. It is very quiet and has rides like a dream. The engine is very powerful and very quiet. The only way you notice how fast you are going is the other cars disapearing in your rear view mirror. Like a lot of high end cars it came with a complete service history including the original window sticker. It uses no oil and has no mechanical issues at all. The interior is in great shape. All the electronics work properly. The heated leather seats show almost no signs of wear and are very comfortable. The only wear on the interior of the vehicle is a little discoloration on the shift lever and on the steering wheel. My car came with the Nav system (very easy to use) and the Mark Levinson sound system (one of my favorite parts of the car). I have put 10,000 miles on the car since I got it and love every minute of it. I got this car for less than what a econobox would of cost me and it is 100 times better. No problems, Very reliable. I plan on driving it another 100,000 miles.

rock solid

by toad from Raleigh, nc on October 16, 2007

i bought this car a couple of months ago used, with 55k miles on it. i travel for work and usually put about 20k to 25k miles per year on a car, so i was looking for comfort, reliablity and something upscale. this car fits the bill! it is not the best performance car i looked at (BMW540) but combined the performance, relability and comfort in the best total package. i am getting 24 mpg on the highway with the GS 430's 8 cylinder is super, based on the fact that i plan to drive this until 150k miles at least.

Never thought of owning a Lexus,until I drove one.

by San Sop Chuck from Hemet, California on June 18, 2017

From the minute I sat behind the wheel I was hooked. My first thought was " where have you been all my life." The interior reminds me of a BMW only nicer. I have the GS 430 and the engine is so powerful and the ride is so smooth. Now mind you, this is a 2001 model and this is 2017. This vehicle was taken care of and everything about it exudes class. A car that I've never thought about owning has now become "my dream car!" The best car I've ever owned or driven by far!!!

Most reliable car I have ever owner.

by HafezG from McLean, Virginia on August 11, 2017

This car is fast, quiet, smooth agile, luxurious and excellent quality on the inside and outside. Very safe, very reliable. By far, best sedan I have ever owned.

great aside from all the power door locks failing

by hshw220 from Lexington, KY on July 8, 2017

the power train is flawless, very low maintenance cost, the only flaws are the door locks and the Mark Levinson sound sysytem

Excellent Vehicle

by LexNYC from New York, NY on March 30, 2009

I purchased a used 2001 GS430 in early 2005. The car came a nice set of creature comforts: heated leather seats, dual-climate-touch-screen controls/navigation, Mark-Levinson Sound System, and an upgraded tire/wheel package. I've owned the car for a few years now and it has been extremely reliable. The car strikes a nice balance between looks, power and handling and that cushy comfort Lexus is known for. So far there have been no headaches and no unwanted surprises. I definitely would recommend this car to anyone looking for an overall solid luxury car.

Good, but not great

by Lexus Fan from Chicago on August 17, 2010

I've had two Lexus cars, both mechanically perfect. Except for the suspension. Age, not miles, hurts these cars. They're so smooth and quiet due to rubber bushings in the suspension arms. When they start to wear out, you get vibrations and very loose handling. Very difficult to find the worn part (even for dealerships), usually ends up in a goose chase. Parts are very expensive, and labor is even more expensive. Expect $1,000 repair bills, when repairs are needed. My 01 GS430 was my least favorite car to own. Nice and comfy, but boring and would not track straight, slightest bump would throw it off course, very loose handling (the front didn't communicate with the back). The V8 is the best in the business, but too much for this car, makes it feel heavy and lumbersome. Too much power in a daily useful manner. It's either golf cart smooth, or dangerously fast, no in-between - All or Nothing. Slightest moisture on the road, and the tires would spin very ease. Snow? Forget it, even with the traction control (warning warning, you're stuck). This is a car the Lexus built to compete with the 5 series. They got the power right, the ride right, but the fun and driver engagement wrong. Best quality? Quiet and smooth. Worst quality? Handling and sense of driver feeling of being in total command of the car. I sold it. It's like they blended the IS and LS with this car, with more emphasis on the LS. It's basically a smaller LS. Great, if that's what you want (big cruiser). But, very disappointing if you want a sports sedan feeling. If you buy one older than 6 years of age, expect a few suspension bushing problems down the road on this car, especially in the back. 300hp is too much force on the rear setup.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

1 2