Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1999 RX 300

1999 Lexus RX 300

4.4

Have You Driven the 1999 Lexus RX 300?

Great value

by Hooked on Lexus from Renton, WA on Fri Apr 15 2011

This 99 Lexus RX300 was one of many we looked and and test drove. It was well maintained with over 155k original miles. Kind of scary buying a car with that many miles, but these cars go forever if maintained properly. We decided to pick this vehicle over the many others (including other used makes/models with less mileage) because the owner kept excellent maintenance records which made it easy to decide this was the one, and the price was right. We just continued using the same Lexus dealer to have it checked when we purchased it from another dealer since they had all the orig. history. The car was just as beautiful as the new ones, and the ride is wonderful. Luxury! We read some horror stories about the RX300 but so far have had no issues except the transmission shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear is a bit slow when the car is cold. Once warmed up it shifts fine. This is why it gets 4 stars instead of 5. Nothing else to report, it is a good car and we hope to have it for a few years.

Terrific Vehicle

by GolferBob from Maryland on Mon Mar 12 2007

Bought new in May 1999, and after 175,000 miles, it's still going strong. Other than routine stuff like oil, brake pads and tires, have changed the timing belt at 100K (and went to a Toyota dealer, who did it for $500 less than the Lexus guys): had the air idle solenoid go bad at 120K: replaced the brake rotors at 150K: had the charcoal cannister/vacuum assembly go bad at 160K: and have only replaced three light bulbs since new. Very comfortable car, handling is suitable, performance above average, amenities are excellent. Cupholder design is weak - has been improved in later years. CD's in dash are inconvenient, but work OK. Turning radius is HUGE: has also been improved in later years. Gas mileage over the life of the car is about 19 MPG: best we've ever done over the road is just over 23 MPG. Right now everything on the car works except the "Drive" indicator light in the instrument cluster (second time that failed: first time was fixed under warranty), and the driver's seat heater failed (got an estimate of $250 to repair, and am considering it). That's pretty good for a car of this age...and it still looks good: paint is shiny and it cleans up really well. Keep the oil changed and it'll run forever!

A very reailbe suv

by Terri from Florida on Sat Feb 19 2011

My SUV i has 125,000 milles, and runs very very well., I have found that car to be very very reliable, Had only to do the usual maintence work over the last 11 years since I purchased car, My only negative review is that it is difficulit to do a 3 point turn (or ""K") turn. Does not make the turn well, But other wise, I like my car very much, And, feel quite safe in it, w

Great vehicle

by Maz from St. Paul, MN on Mon Mar 28 2011

I bought this vehicle in 2006 after much debate. I was looking at a number of different SUV's, but this is the one that I really wanted. I wasa little nervous about buying a luxury brand like Lexus because of repair costs. This vehicle has been amazing and reliable and I am glad that I bought it. It is now 11 years old and still in great condition. I have been amazed by the quality and my 1999 feels better than a lot of other newer cars out there. It has been extremely reliable and I have had to do some repairs, but that is to be expected. I now have 140,000 miles on it and I still love it. I have been looking at new cars but I am scared to buy anything because I now have high expectations! Vehicle handles fantastic in the snow (I live in Minnesota), and it is still extremely comfortable. I would reccomend this vehicle to anyone!

Great car - highly recommend it

by Chicago Lexus Driver from Chicago, IL on Fri May 12 2006

You can't beat this car for comfort, reliability, and handling in bad weather. I do a lot of city and highway driving. With other cars, I would often get lower back pain. Not with the RX. The seats are super-comfy and totally adjustable. The all-wheel drive and anti-lock brakes make driving in snow and rain a breeze. If you're looking for a high performance engine, this is not the car for you. It does its job, but takes its own sweet time doing it. I averaged 18 MPG over the life of the car. The gas tank is only about 13 gallons, so it does require frequent trips to the gas station. The interior design is really nice. The only drawbacks are the placement of the cd changer (in the glove box) and the cupholders (between the front seats). The wood appointments are beautiful and I love the lighted display panel in the center console. The rear storage area is huge and easily accessible. The car was highly reliable...until the transmission went at 120,000 miles. Many folks have told me this is highly unusual for a Lexus...but it happened to me. Over time, the steering column developed a small squeak during cold weather, but other than that, I had no problems with the car. I highly recommend the car...and have since bought another one.

Handles like a sedan.

by Dizzy D from Upstate SC on Sun Apr 15 2007

I wanted an SUV that didn't drive like a truck so I went after a luxury model. I preferred the Lexus hands down to it's competitors. This vehicle feels more like a sedan than an SUV and drives great on mountain roads. Plenty of room. Very comfortable in the back seat. Some think the console computer is hokey, but I LOVE it. Oh yes, my 81 yr. old mother slides right in and out without any trouble and her wheelchair fits nicely in the back with one seat folded down. Great vehicle!

Unbelievable car

by Super LeX from Chicago on Thu Feb 07 2013

My RX 300 is my second LEXUS and the best ever,ever,ever. .. I have 162000 mies on it and never had any problems. We will definitely consider purchasing this vehicle again in the future!" Enjoy this RX300! ;)

I bought this car from a family

by Lexus Girl from Florida on Mon Apr 18 2016

I bought my 1999 Lexus RX 300 from a family friend with 85,000 miles on it. It has been the best vehicle l have ever owned, bar none. I have 210,000 miles on and other than regular maintenance and repairs from normal wear it is still going strong. My mechanic said the way l take care of my baby l could go at least another 100,00 miles. Still looks like a new car! Best buy ever!

BEST CAR EVER!!!

by I love Lexus!! from FL on Tue Jun 10 2008

This car is amazing!! Never had one problem with it, and it drives like a dream!! It's also really good on gas for an SUV...The power seats are great, and it even has seat memory! I've owned this car for almost three years and I still find out little extras that it has that I didn't know about before!

Long Lasting Value

by PLSRX from Hartford, CT on Sun Apr 22 2018

I got this 1999 RX300 back in 2008 for $13000 and have not regretted the purchase. With nearly 200,000 miles it still runs reliably and is very good for those longer highway trips. Just about everything works still and while it has needed a few repairs, nothing was major or overly expensive and many I was able to do myself. There are a few squeaks and rattles which I either don't mind or will find and fix. It rides very smoothly and handles ok. The interior design is really nice and in some ways nicer than the new RX's in my opinion. Its an easy car to like and has a fantastic premium sound system. When I do need to fix something, the Lexus forums on the internet usually have the answers. I would say if fuel efficiency wasn't your top priority a first generation RX that was well cared for could be a good commuter or road trip vehicle for not a lot of $$.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 1999 Lexus RX 300

The rise of the luxury sport-utility vehicle likely will be one of the biggest trends of the 1998 model year.

Every automaker that has brought out a rugged-looking but spiffed-up sport-utility vehicle has scored a solid hit this year, even if the thing can't really go off-road very well.

In fact, this week's test vehicle, the stylish new RX 300 from Lexus, is more of a pretender than a contender when it comes to kicking up some serious dust off road.

But that's OK -- because the RX 300 was not really made for that sort of driving. It's what is called a hybrid vehicle. That is, the underpinnings are from a car, but the body is made to look like a sport-utility. The RX 300's foundation is the Lexus... Read More