1996 Continental

3.8

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 1996 Lincoln Continental?

BLEW ME OUT OF THE WATER

by cHRISTINE from LONGMONT on Mon Jun 29 2009

I WAS AT A LOCAL DEALER LOOKING FOR A BUICK ONLY, WHEN THEY SWITHCED ME TO THIS CAR I FEEL COMPLETLY IN LOVE I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF THREE, WITH A TIGHT BUDGET THIS VEHICLE HAS TREATED MY FAMILY AND I VERY TROUBLE FREE, AND RELIABLE!

Money Pit

by Luxury Guy from Louisville, Ky on Thu Mar 25 2010

This vehicle was bought in 2003 with 72,000 miles on it. It has been a pain 1 year after owner ship. The car was bought after experience the great quality of our 92 Town car which we bought just a year old in 93 with just 10,000 miles on the odometer. We soon found out that Ford drop the ball when it comes to quality with this model. When first viewing this car it we draw you in with its gauges and performance of its high-tech 4.6L 260hp V8 engine. The interior is roomy and comfortable and sports supportive bucket leather seats, something that seems to be a little bit better than the Town car's couch like bench seat that tend to whip you around during cornering. The appearance of the interior is very inviting to say the least. There are a lot of buttons, and they can be confusing but they are big and easy to get use to. Driving the car can be a enjoyable experience. The engine is powerful and quick, 0-60 no task for the car. Handling is ok and predictable and will keep you out of trouble. The down fall to this car is quality. Although the high-tech stuff is cool, it couldn't waited until later models, reliability of computer are better. The computer would often freak out and send false messages. When cold the digital dash would almost be impossible to read. Ride leveling system is way to loud and can be hard inside the vehicle. The last straw was the transmission that was replace twice. We got rid of the car after 2 years.

Does not recommend this car!!

One fast machine

by sportcoat from dc on Sat Sep 25 2010

I bought my 1996 lincoln used with 190,000 miles on it and it still looks and rides like it came fresh off the showroom floor. The computer sends messages that aren't true such as the fuel milege to empty. I have owned the car for 3 months and have put almost 8,000 miles on it. I have driven it 2000 miles twice (1000 down 1000 back home) and had no problems. My ac sometimes blows hot air then will blow cold air when it feels. It is not freon but some sort of glitch with the climate control. It handles pretty good for a big car and is deceptively fast, this is not your grandmother's car! I love my lincoln and love the fact I only paid 350 for it from the auction. I would definitely recommend this car to a friend

THIS IS MY SECOND, AND i BOUGHT A THIRD!

by HWAY DRIVER from NY on Thu Mar 01 2007

THIS HAS BEEN A VERY RELIABLE CAR FOR ME, MAYBE BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT NEW AND TOOK GOOD CARE OF IT MYSELF OR MAYBE BECAUSE FORD FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT. ANYHOW, I AM VERY PLEASED AND JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER WITH ABOUT THE THIRD OF MY MILEAGE, WHICH I WILL PLAN ON KEEPING FOR ANOTHER 5-7 YEARS. I ENJOY THE CAR'S HANDLING AND POWER, ITS AMZING IT PERFOMRS SO WELL FOR A VEHICLE SO LARGE. ON THE GAS SIDE, I AVERAGE OVER 20MPG, WHICH IS PRETTY GOOD FOR A CAR THAT WITH TRACTION COTNROL OFF PEELS RUBBER VERY EASILY. WITH FIVE ADULTS IN THE CAR THIS VEHICLE HANDLES AND PERFOMRS AS WELL AS IF IT WAS ONLY ME - CANT SAY THAT FOR THE CELICA I USED TO OWN. I DO WISH FORD STILL MADE THEM! MY FAVORITE MODEL WAS THE '85 - '94 WHICH LOOKED LIKE AN EARLY BENZ AND FULLY UTILIZED ALL OF THE SPACE. THE '95 TO '02 WERE SOMEWWHAT LARGER BUT MUCH MORE RELIABLE AND EXTREMELY BETTER ON PERFORMANCE AND HANDLING.

I HAVE NEVER RODE IN A SMOOTHER CAR

by SISSYANDCHUCK from SPRINGFIELD,MO on Wed Sep 13 2017

IT MAKES A GREAT RIDE FOR ANYONE WHO NEEDS A COMFORTABLE RIDE EASY TO GET IN AND OUT OF .I HAVE A FRIEND WHO COULD NOT FIND A CAR THIS SMOOTH BUT EVEN HE WAS IN TOTAL SHOCK AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN HIM LIKE THAT ABOUT A CAR.

great used car value

by Omegaman from Iowa on Tue Oct 25 2011

I Bought this car used with 94000 miles.I knew the issues when I bought it . I replaced the air ride with a kit for about $350. Did the work myself. Fixed the air blend actuator. $75. Needs valve cover gaskets.put in stereo . As it had only cassette. Look people for a used car the prices are great.they run well and are comfortable. If it's beat up don't buy. My car looks new inside and out. Expect fixes on any car. Check online car club sites to get a overall idea of ownership problems.

Minnesota Girl

by Luxery car lover from Minnesota on Wed Jul 05 2006

I absolutely love the ride this car gives and I am in the car all the time. I can drive for 5 hours 2-3 times a week. I also love all the extras it gives you and the looks are awesome!! But the reliability is bad, although I drive so much,I am constantly paranoid the transmission or some other major part is going to break down on me.I got this car in 2002 with a 101000 miles on it and it now has had 2 new transmissions and so much electrical and computer work I could have built a whole new one.Although the reliability stinks, of all the cars I have been test driving in the last 2 months(LEXUS RX300 seats were awful,JEEP, CHEV TRAILBLAZER, SUBARUE OUTBACK, HONDA CRV,FORD EXPLORER, ALL BUT THE LEXUS DROVE LIKE TRUCKS AND ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE)The Volvo is the only other car I have test drove that is as comfortable as the Lincoln but the reliability is as bad as the Lincoln(because it was taken over by Ford)All in all I love this car I just wish it were more reliable. The car as of this point only has 137000 miles so as you can see this has all happened with in 37,000 miles and it has ended up sitting in the garage waiting for parts and just as one thing gets fixed something else pops up.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best car I owned and handled perfectly.

by Lincoln12 on Fri Jun 30 2017

There was plenty of room in the car for my dad who is 6ft 3in. The heated seats were amazing in winter and the car handled well in winter.