Usually custom-built to a buyer’s specifications, Maybachs are for car buyers who think six-figure Mercedes-Benz S-Classes are for commoners. The Maybach Type 57 is a high-end luxury car designed to compete with the Bentley Arnage and Rolls-Royce Phantom VI.
The exterior gets a minor styling refresh, and the interior receives minor trim changes. The exclusive Zeppelin model does not return.
According to the manufacturer, Maybach styling balances classic and avant-garde features. The doors, hood and fenders are made of aluminum.
Seventeen body colors are available, and two-tone paint schemes can be specified. The Type 57 is around the size of an Arnage or Phantom. A standard power-closing feature pulls the doors shut from the first detent position; a fully closing version is optional. The optional rear sunroof has integrated solar cells to keep the car cool while parked in the sun.
The Type 57 S gets a modified front end, 20-inch wheels and an exclusive black, silver or white paint job. Exterior features include:
- 19-inch wheels
- Optional 20-inch wheels
- Dual chrome tailpipes
- Auto-dimming heated side mirrors
- Front-row sunroof
- Bi-xenon headlamps with automatic low/high beams
- Heated washer fluid
- Automatic rain-sensing wipers
- Optional electronic rear-door closer
- Optional rear sunroof with integrated solar cells
The Type 57 comes standard in a four-occupant configuration, though the car can be built to hold five. The Type 57 is offered in a wide variety of interior trims: wood, stone or gold, with various leather upholsteries and exterior colors available.
Piano lacquer finish and carbon fiber elements decorate the interior of the Type 57 S sedan. An available Business Package adds wireless internet and other corner-office features. Interior features include:
- Leather seats
- Alcantara simulated suede headliner
- Heated front and rear seats
- Automatic quad-zone climate control
- 21-speaker, 600-watt Bose audio system
- Rear refrigerator
- TV/DVD entertainment system with remote control
- Massaging front/rear seats
- Navigation system
- Optional picnic table
- Optional cooled front/rear seats
Equipped with twin turbochargers, the Type 57’s 5.5-liter V-12 produces power ratings worthy of a Lamborghini or Ferrari. It teams with a five-speed automatic transmission. Maybach says the Type 57 can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 5.68 seconds. The Type 57 S gets a firmer suspension and can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 5.21 seconds. Mechanical features include:
- 543-horsepower, 5.5-liter V-12 with 664 pounds-feet of torque (Type 57)
- 620-hp, 6.0-liter V-12 with 738 pounds-feet of torque (Type 57 S)
- Five-speed automatic transmission with auto-manual controls
- Speed-sensitive steering
- Adaptive air suspension
The Type 57 comes standard with Mercedes’ Tele Aid emergency communication system, which includes features like remote vehicle recovery, route assistance and emergency services. Safety features include:
- Front and rear side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Daytime running lights
- Four-wheel antilock brakes with traction control
- Electronic stability system
- Front and rear parking sensors with rear parking camera