2011 CX-9

2011 Mazda CX-9

2011 Mazda CX-9

4.3

Have You Driven the 2011 Mazda CX-9?

Great Crossover

by Luxury Man from Nashville on Thu Jan 20 2011

I have owned Cadillacs for about 20years> I have never driven or owned an import always a GM man. I took a chance and droved a Mazda CX-9 after trying several others including Cadillac SRX.for the Money at $38,000 or so this is the best value on the road, comfort,handling, MPG,styling all around great vehicle. Good by Cadillac!!!!!!

Best SUV / Crossover

by Fast Freddy from Chesapeake, Virginia on Wed Jul 13 2011

This is my second CX-9. I traded a Ford Expedition on the first one in 2009. I put 38,000 mile on it then traded for a 2011. I can get 4 guys with golf clubs and soft luggage for a golf retreat ( incredible). I looked at a new Explorer, but my clubs wouldn't fit crossways in the back. The under floor storage compartment is great for golf shoes and balls. Gas mileage is within the stated range, and the power is smooth and exceptional. The seats are comfortable, and extremely durable. The back seats are adjustable for maximum comfort. Absolutely the best crossover available today from a car guys that has tried them all.

Mazda cx9 Touring

by love my mazda from Stratford, CT on Fri May 13 2011

I LOVE my new Mazda. I had a Subaru before this and loved that, too, except for how small it felt inside. My CX9 drives like a dream and feels so spacious yet still sporty. I can sit in the third row quite comfortably. The cargo area still has a nice amount of room, even with the third row of seats. In fact, I chose this car after all of my research because it had the best combination of ample space in both the third row and cargo areas. My only complaints would be the gas mileage and maybe the middle section of the center console could be a little smaller. Other nice features: large storage area in center console, backup camera, a surprisingly tight turning radius, keyless entry, nice heavy solid feel when opening and closing the doors, I could go on and on...

Fun with Practicality

by driving enthusiast from Jacksonville, FL on Sun Jul 10 2011

I traded in my Cadillac Escalade for a CX-9 and am absolutely delighted. Comfortable, roomier than the Escalade and much more fun to drive. There's no other crossover or SUV to compare with the value and fun of this vehicle. I haven't made any long trips yet but around town I'm getting 18 mpg, which is fine for such a strong V6 engine. I wasn't thrilled to have to buy the moonroof (I'm 6' 4") in order to get the Bose stereo but the headroom is fine. My wife has a Buick Enclave, which looks very classy, but the Mazda is better on performance, handling, ride and sheer enjoyment of driving.

Better than BMW??

by Dad in NC from NC on Thu Aug 18 2011

I was all set to purchase a BMW X5 until I drove the CX9. For the price of a 4 year old BMW I got a fully loaded CX9 with all the gadgets. When I test drove the BMW I was UNDERwhelmed. Of course it had all the luxury features of an upper end vehicle, but the performance was lacking. To be fair, I only drove the 3.0 and didn't drive the V8 version. However, with BMW I fully expected "performance".. and didn't get it. The CX9 was actually more peppy and handled better. I'm still surprised but am very happy with the CX9.

So far so good

by Bubba from Houston on Tue Aug 16 2011

Had my CX-9 for a month now. No problems so far. I 'm getting around 20mpg combined city /highway. I was considering a Ford Explorer, but the pricing was outrageous. Also, no comfortable arm rests and initial quality problems in the Explorer. The CX-9 is much more fun to drive.

Great family car

by In the family from Chicago area on Mon Oct 28 2013

We have two kids and a dog, and often host visiting family, so when it came time to (reluctantly) give up my Subaru Outback I went looking for 3 row vehicles. We live in the snowy upper Midwest, and I was commuting 25 miles each way to work on 2 lane county roads, so AWD was a must. For many cars, the trim level that includes AWD pushes the pricing to the top of the range. That knocked the Toyota Sienna, Ford Flex and GM CUVs off my list. I liked the way the CX-9 handled when I drove it, and was thrilled to discover that I could get AWD in the Sport model. My CX-9 has AWD and the heated seats/rear camera package, which fits our needs exactly. We've put 50K miles on our CX-9 since the spring of 2011. I love love love my car. It's comfortable and fun to drive, there's great legroom in the 2nd row for my tall kids, the cargo area holds the crate for our 60 lb mutt, and the car transforms nicely to hold grandparents/friends in the 2nd row and kids in the way back when needed. I take it in to my dealer for regular service and have had absolutely no issues. The only complaint I have is the gas mileage, but if that's the price I pay for a mom car that doesn't *feel* like a mom car then so be it. And weirdly enough, I'm not alone! Two of my sisters-in-law have chosen the same car for the same reasons -- one in the Midwest, one on the west coast. And no, we don't have a Mazda salesperson in the family or shop for cars together -- I just think Mazda has done a good job of anticipating modern family needs.

Happy, happy, happy!

by Renato from Orlando on Sat Nov 19 2011

I trade a 2006 Mercedes R-350 for the CX-9. No regrets. I don't miss the Mercedes at all. I purchased this 2011 CX-9 used with 13k miles and it's like brand new. Me, my wife and the kids are happy with this vehicle. It has a great package: space, power everything, the Bluetooth is great too. And the best... it's fun to drive, with a strong and economic engine. In this model we got, I just miss the leather which we can added at anytime. Recommend!!!

CX-9 - Love it!

by Mazda Lover from West Central, Illinois on Mon Jan 23 2012

We've wanted one since they came out - and finally traded in our MPV for a 2011 model CX-9 Grand Touring. We've owned it now for about 3 months. We have the AWD model, and it has been giving us 20+ MPG, love it. Really can't say enough about it. It's got a lot of power, smooth quiet ride, and the leather interior is top-notch. It's given us the 7 passenger comfort we wanted from our van, without the "not so coolness" that a van carries along with it. Very happy is an understatement. Zoom Zoom!

So Far So Good

by CoachMark from Concord, CA on Mon Sep 22 2014

I finally replaced my 1999 ML430 and looked far and wide for a decent crossover SUV that would act like a car when driven. The CX-9 drives like a car and handles very nicely on both freeways and country roads. The AWD version of the Grand Touring comes with 20 inch tires, which creates a ride not as smooth, but that's a small thing compared to the rest of the CX9. The interior is very high quality for a reasonable price, and the gas mileage is as advertised, and if you use cruise control and travel at a speed 70 or less on the freeways, you can do a bit better than the quoted 24 mph. The back has plenty of room, which I use every weekend as a coach. I do recommend getting cargo mats to protect the carpeting in the back. The dealership is a bit pricey, but you can get a quality cargo mat for about $120 through third party vendors.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2011 Mazda CX-9

Editor's note: This review was written in May 2010 about the 2010 Mazda CX-9. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2011, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

If you want an SUV with seven or more seats, your options start with compact crossovers — whose optional third-row seats are best left for punishing kids — and end with full-size truck-based SUVs, whose exterior bulk and gas mileage are punishing in their own right. In between is a healthy selection of mid- and full-size crossovers that includes the 2010 Mazda CX-9.

In a crowded class, the CX-9 distinguishes itself with a high-quality interior and more... Read More