2012 CX-9

2012 Mazda CX-9

2012 Mazda CX-9

4.5

Have You Driven the 2012 Mazda CX-9?

great value for the money

by suv nut from austin, tx on Mon Dec 26 2011

The mazda cx-9 is by far the best value out there for the money spent. We got a great deal on a 2012 and couldn't pass it up. The only drawbacks with the vehicle is that is doesn't match up with the mileage they say it will get, compared to the sticker. We took a long trip 2400 milkes when we first got the vehicle and could only get 21.6 mpg on dry, smooth roads with no wind for 100's of miles. Not sure how you could ever get 24 mpg as they claim on the sticker. Other discords are rough idle and somewhat sperratic downshift in the transmission. Other than that the ride is comfortable and smooth, handling is great and interior is roomy.

Great purchase for a family of five.

by Awesome from on Fri Sep 28 2012

I had a mazda mpv for 9 years and I was ready to move away from the minivan style. But, I was nervous to lose such great space. The Mazda CX9 is a great replacement.... we love the style and the performance!

I'm in LOVE!!

by Luckyme636 from Missouri on Fri Dec 18 2015

I researched this vehicle for weeks before buying it. I had previously owned a Mazda and it was a great vehicle so I knew I wanted another Mazda. I needed more seats that most so I knew I needed 3rd row seating. I have read reviews saying the cabin is noisy. I have not experienced that. Very quiet and comfortable ride. The Bose system is amazing and all the bells and whistles make driving this crossover SUV great. The mileage isn't the best but I only drive 15 miles to work and take the kids to sports activities so it works well for us. I have also read reviews claiming that it is a rough ride for passengers. We have had no issues at all with this. Matter of fact my son has very bad motion sickness in cars and he recently read a book on the way to a doctors appointment in the back seat. We have had NO mechanical problems at all. We love this vehicle. I can't say enough about it!

Gr8 Car

by Gr8Sail from West River, MD on Mon Feb 27 2012

My 13 year old 4Runner was dying and I needed another SUV/Crossover. Also decided I no longer needed 3 cars (Infinity M45 Sport and Mazda Miata) so I traded 4Runner and M45 in for a new CX9. Couldn;t be happier as I now have the best of both worlds - an AWD Crossover that looks great, has some cool toys, is comfortable, fun to drive and has more cargo room than the 4Runner. Oh yeah - and gets better mileage than either one of the other vehilcles. The ride is very firm and secure with very little body sway, the two tone leather upolstery is gorgeous, instrumentation a good anf the Bose stereo system that plays (anmd controls) my music library on my Droid phone via Bluetooth is just awesome! This car does not disappoint at any level!

CX9 Mazda Grand Touring

by Momma Donna from Lafayette, Louisiana on Thu Feb 23 2012

One of the best cars I have driven, great gas mileage, very roomy, the only thing i wish they had was more room between the second and third row of seating and a bigger cargo area.

The More I Drive It, the More I Love It

by Father of five from Washington, DC/Northern Virginia on Tue Mar 06 2012

This car was a great buy. I love the style (not boxy) and it handles extremely well. The 6cyl. engine gives it the power to accelerate in heavy traffic, and the all wheel drive keeps the driving smooth and in control in any condition. It drives as easily and smoothly as a car, while giving you the size and look of an SUV The third row seat is wider (seats two) and more comfortable than all of the other mid-sized SUVs, except the Chevrolet Traverse. While the third row headroom is not quite high enough for an adult over six feet tall, it is enough for anyone under six feet, or for my pre-teen boys to sit comfortably. The leg room is better than all of the other SUVs, but it was the reliability that got me to choose it over the Traverse. The car has minor drawbacks that do not affect its performance or value. If I could make any recommendations to Mazda, it would be to add full-time driving lights on the light switch and to add low-mounted fog lights. In addition, the console controls for the radio and the heater are too close and almost blend into each other, so it makes finding the right button a bit distracting and time-consuming. Overall, it is a great value and a well-built SUV. Do your homework on the price (use Cars.com and Edmunds.com) and you will not have any buyer's remorse.

Excellent car

by Lisa G. from Massachusetts on Sat Sep 09 2017

This car is a great family car. Handles well, great in the snow. Ample room for adults to sit in the 3rd row.

Lots of Room and Zoom!

by IgoZoom from Lake Arrowhead, GA on Fri Oct 10 2014

My CX-9 GT is easily the best vehicle I've ever owned! It handles, accelerates and brakes like a sport sedan, but has tons of room for passengers and cargo. The interior looks great and is made from quality materials. The entire vehicle looks and feels very well built. After 32k miles, it still feels like a new car and hasn't has been problem-free. I plan on keeping it for a long time and highly recommend it to anyone shopping for an SUV!

Want a smooth, dependable ride? Drive a Mazda!

by dedom from Erie, PA on Thu Jul 13 2017

This vehicle is beyond expectations for short or long journeys. Roomy, quiet and as mentioned in the headline, 'dependable.' I drove Toyota for years and never thought I would buy any other make. Boy am I glad I decided otherwise. No matter the weather conditions (previously owned a CX5) snow drifts, ice or heavy rain Mazda is the right choice for you from sales to service to keeping their word Mazda is the ticket!

Great Vehicle

by Pat from Kalamazoo, Michigan on Tue Jan 26 2016

We bought this Mazda used for the main purpose of transporting 3 grandkids (2 in car seats). Love the fact that this vehicle has a 3rd row which makes everyone happy. The all wheel drive is great for driving in Michigan winters. Took a while to get used to no daytime driving lights but fortunately if I leave the lights on they will shut off automatically. The one complaint I have is the cabin noise. I thought one of the windows was open the first time I drove it on the highway. We're getting used to it now. Overall though we are happy with this Mazda since we have had it for almost a year now and have only had to take it in for oil changes.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2012 Mazda CX-9

Editor's note: This review was written in May 2010 about the 2010 Mazda CX-9. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the three model years.

If you want an SUV with seven or more seats, your options start with compact crossovers — whose optional third-row seats are best left for punishing kids — and end with full-size truck-based SUVs, whose exterior bulk and gas mileage are punishing in their own right. In between is a healthy selection of mid- and full-size crossovers that includes the 2010 Mazda CX-9.

In a crowded class, the CX-9 distinguishes itself with a high-quality interior and more... Read More