Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Mazda2

2012 Mazda Mazda2

2012 Mazda Mazda2

Have You Driven the 2012 Mazda Mazda2?

I'm in love with this car!

by Blue berry owner from Massachusetts on Tue Dec 11 2012

This car is unbelievable, when you sit inside you'd swear you were in a bigger car. Even the back seat is comfortable. I'm in love with having a car that gets great gas mileage. I can go where I want to without counting every penny. We are only the two of us now and we can go travel and explore. the back folds down and we can fit all our gear. The hatch back is the best, allows access to the entire back. Not to mention just how darn cute it is.... Just love the style...

Great Value

by Mazda2Guy from Washington, D.C. on Mon May 07 2012

Very good fuel economy-about $32 to fill up at $3.89/gal. Roomy and comfortable interior. Fairly quiet, except on grooved roads where tires sound like a horde of locusts. Smooth highway ride, but, takes highway bumps harshly with stock tires (which I plan to switch-they don't corner very well either). Hatch is very light (as is whole car at 2,300 lbs), and easy to open/close. Hatchback area large enough, with seats folded down, to haul 95% of lawn and grocery stuff. Buy the: (1) $159 armrest (cheap Mazda should include as stock) which is impossible to properly install yourself, and; (2) $59 rear bumper guard-great looking & cheap scratch protection. Great all-around visibility, and fit of exterior parts. After bargaining, I saved between $3,000-$5,000 buying new versus all other new comparables in class (Civic, Fit, Yaris, Hyundail, weird iQ). My 3d new Mazda (two previous Rx-7/8's). Looks and overall value are excellent-a 10.

Great Small Car

by Murphy in Texas from Longview, Texas on Thu Aug 08 2013

I have enjoyed this car more than any I've had in a long time. I have the Automatic Transmission package, and have not found anything to not like. Took it to metroplex seveal times without any discrepancy. Had people stop me and ask about it. It's bright red and people Love it. Even my 6'1" son rides in the back without too much griping. On the road it gets about 35mpg, in town about 28mpg. I love the way it handles in all kind of driving situations.

I absolutely love my Mazda 2.

by Rachelrhea1977 from Cleveland, TN on Mon May 08 2017

I bought this car used. I went to the dealership and after the salesman showed me some pricey cars, I asked what was the cheapest thing on the lot. He took me to my new car; it was a black 2012 Mazda 2. I loved it. It was 4 door, just what I needed. It was good on gas...actually, I come to find out, it gets awesome gas mileage. It is a compact car, but perfect for my 3 person family. I am very short, and this car adjusts to me comfortably. I love this car and would buy another.

Love it

by Ladybug from Shreveport, LA on Tue May 27 2014

This is my first car got it about a month ago! Absolutely love it. Great gas saver. Only had one problem with it but so far it a real good car. There's only three of us so that's plenty of room. No need for anyone else. Thinking about putting rims on it & some other stuff to spice it up how I like. Just love the car!

Good Driving Around Car.

by ruskidadoi from Chicago, IL on Thu Aug 08 2013

Purchased car a year ago to replace older minivan. This is my first Mazda. Decent gas milage for city driving (which is mostly what I do). I can drive the same distance on half the gas I was using in my old car. Currently getting 32 MPG city. Interior is pretty comfortable for me and one of my kids. I do wish it had a 5 speed automatic transmission. Highway driving at over 65 the engine is a bit noisy. So far the car has performed as expected. I have only had it in for repair once since purchasing. Cannot say that about any other new car I have owned.

Most Enjoyable Car I've Owned

by Mazda2 Fan from Lexington, KY on Wed Jan 04 2012

I was looking to trade in my gas-thirsty Honda CR-V for a more fuel efficient car. I test drove the Nissan Versa, Toyota Corrolla, Hyuandai Accent, The Chevy Cruze and Sonic, and the Toyota Yaris. I was not impressed with any of those. I decided to test drive a 2012 Mazda2 and I am glad I did. WOW!!!! It handles like a sports car. The seats are extremely comfortable, there is plenty of room for a family of four and our associated softball equipment. The stereo rocks and I love the radio controls on the steering wheel. And the best part, 37 MPG combined HWY/City. This is without a doubt the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. Get the 5 speed manual, it is a blast to drive.

Stay Above Zero F

by Frozen2 from Fairbanks, AK on Sun Jan 27 2013

I would not recommend this car for Alaska or Canada. My Mazda2 has been fun to drive but it responds VERY POORLY to extreme cold weather (much worse than older GM vehicles I've owned). On the plus side it performs very well on snow and ice, but cold temperatures impacted my 2 in a variety of bad ways: 1. coolant leaks. 3 leaks from the radiator hose in 60 days on a brand new car. Not sure if it's bad dealership service or a coolant system that can't handle 50/50 mix. Then again, this might not have anything to do with the cold. 2. the suspension makes a very loud, rusty bedspring or pogo-stick noise over bumps and dips at low (below 10 F) temps. 3. The doors don't latch well if temps are below 0 F. They close, but pop open, leaving the door ajar and the dome light on, creating the potential for battery drain. Must be slammed. Gentle push doesn't do it. 4. the giant smiley face opening in the front means a lot of cold air runs over the radiator, and it takes forever to warm up enough to heat the cabin. It actually cools down some while driving. Some kind of cover is helpful. 5. The blower is weak, so the rear side windows are perpetually frosted at any setting. 6. Fold-down rear seats do not latch in upright position at cold temps. 7. The lights dim significantly when you use the windows or other electrical components. 8. the windshield wipers do not respond at -30 to -40 F. They just sit there. That's kind of understandable, since -40 F is pretty ridiculous. This is with dealer-installed engine block heater, oil pan heater, and battery blanket.

Does not recommend this car!!

Reliable and low cost motoring

by Jon from Wheaton, MD on Thu Mar 22 2018

This car compares very favorably with all the others in its class in comfort, fuel efficiency, performance and reliability. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Best car I ever owned!

by Mazda from FL on Wed Jun 28 2017

It is economical, small, easy to park, exceptional space and leg room inside, great mileage, 4-doors for ease.

1 2

Our Take on the 2012 Mazda Mazda2

Editor's note: This review was written in November 2010 about the 2011 Mazda2. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The Mazda2 is a small car that drives like a small car — and that's a compliment. Some cars feel bigger than they are, which can be good if you also get a sense of strength and solidity.

The Mazda2, though, is like a welterweight fighter: all quickness and agility, without sacrificing ride and practicality. I kept looking for excuses to drive it.

City Driving
City driving is the Mazda2's forte. I drove the Mazda2 with both available transmissions: a five-speed manual... Read More