2004 Mazda3

4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Zoom Zoom is right!

by Mazda in Ohio from Akron, Ohio on December 3, 2010

I traded my 2005 Nissan Altima V6 SL for my 2004 Mazda 3 sedan 2.3. Even tho the 3 didnt have as much passing power as my Altima, the quick transmission shifts made up for it. Definitely gave you the illusion of a V6 with peppy acceleration. Also, the 3 has an "intelligent transmission" and will adjust to your driving habits. In terms of exterior looks.. i could not be more satisfied. I had one with a wing spoiler and stock body kit which i believe are standard on the 2.3's i would prefer this car over a BMW 3 series. unfortunately, i think i got a bad egg. I had to replace the alternator twice and 1st gear went out. luckily i purchased a warranty that covered it all. but it seems this is not the norm for the 3. To do an oil change you have to remove this skid plate thingy.. I had a constant problem with shops not removing it right, not putting it back on right.. they eventually broke it and had to fix myself. Please make sure wherever you get your oil change..that they put it back on right..The Xenon headlights were absolutely amazing. however they do come aimed a little low from the factory even when aimed at their highest with adjuster inside the vehicle. but you can adjust them yourself from the headlight to fix this. The steering is very tight and satisfying. Handling is superb. However, mine was equipped with the low profile optional wheels and the ride was very bumpy. When you hit a pothole, which is VERY often in good ole' Ohio it sounds so loud that you think you've done damage. Instead of doing any damage that i knew of.. i repeatedly got bumps in my low profile tires.. The view from inside is pleasant. The stereo is very good, as is the 6 cd changer. There are plenty of seat adjustments. I also had the navigation built in which is very uncommon. My DVD disc was out of date so i didnt use it much, but every time i started the car the NAV screen would pop out of the dashboard and i got very used to always having a map of where i was, it was very convenient when your looking for a road coming up you could always see it ahead of time on the NAV screen. The mirrors were good size. Very easy to maneuver. So-so on gas, but i am a very aggressive driver so gas mileage isnt good for me no matter what i'm driving. I do not own this car any more, i now have a midsize SUV. I really miss the the handling and acceleration of the 3 but i wanted something with cargo room. If this is also an issue for you i would suggest the hatchback. When i pay off my current vehicle i will probably keep it and go back to a Mazda 3.

Great Vehicle

by am24 from Toronto, ON on May 30, 2009

My Mazda 3 GS Sport has now crossed 146,000 KMs. Other than oil changes, break pads...regular maintenance this car has been solid. No unnecessary visits to the mechanic. The car drives like new despite the mileage, it looks sporty and still turns heads when i shine it up. I love the rain sensing wipers, beautiful dash, red lights, projector lamps up front. My only gripe with the vehicle is its noisy pulley near the serpentine when it first starts and a whizzing noise around 2000-2500 rpm, this is supposedly normal. The vehicle however is solid, dont be fooled by what others say this car is just as reliable as any toyota corolla or honda civic it just drives alot better, reminds me of a 3 series bmw.

The best Car i have owned

by Lamar Forest Park,Ga from Forest Park, Ga on April 19, 2010

I purchased my 04 Mazda 3 2.3 almost 2 years ago and i must say this is the best car i have purchased. I drove the car down to miami which is a good 10 hour drive and it was a blast. i am a proud Mazda 3 owner and this car is a great pleasure to own and drive

owned car for seven years now

by mastersteve from hartford,ct on October 12, 2011

if you want to own a very dependable car with great looks and decent power the mazda 3 is the way to go

A good and reliable sporty car

by zoom3 from new york on March 24, 2009

I have the 2004 3s hatchback and its almost 5 yrs and 30,000 miles I've owned this car, and can tell you that the car runs great, fit & finish is still good, no rattles on rough roads, but had to replace the original goodyears recently with michelin. Battery lasted 4 yrs. before I replaced it, haven't had any major issues with this car and still enjoying the zoom-zoom.

Great car, but a few bugs

by My only regret is that it isn't American made from Gilroy Ca on July 6, 2006

I have a 2004 S with almost all the options. It's a great car. I autocross it and have a blast with it. I have had to take it in to the dealership many times to be troubleshooted. It stalls after putting gas in and sometimes stalls at idle. The first set of times, they finally changed some sensor and it corrected the problem. After another year or so the problem came back. I took it to the same dealer, mentioned that is has the same symptoms as before. They didn't seem to be too interested in that information. So they're going through the learning curve again and I am without a car. The irony is I bought this car new as I was tired of working on my old cars. Also, my wifes 2001 Camaro has never been back to the dealership and has over 90,000 trouble free miles. Those cars usually get bad reviews, but the Camaro wins out on reliability compared to the Mazda. Love the car, but considering selling it due to the maintenance issues and going back to GM to see what I can replace it with.

An amazing amount of car for the price

by bobtins from Oakland, CA on November 6, 2006

I've been really happy with this car for the last 2 1/2 years. It feels very fast and agile, looks great, can haul a lot of stuff and people, and has the refinement of a much more expensive car.

great 1st car for teen

by erin <3's cars! from new albany, IN on October 31, 2006

i am 18 and got a mazda3s for my 16th birthday. the car did great the first year, but last year my purge valve needed fixed because it was leaking. then, my automatic car's 4th gear went out, and then they told me i needed a NEW TRANSMISSION... and my car only has 26,000 miles. then, the night i got it back, it wouldnt turn on, and then i needed a new inhibitor switch. if you want this car, MAKE SURE you get it under warranty!! its a good car other wise.

Mazda 3 surprised me

by ASE from Fresno, CA on February 4, 2014

First off I gotta say it took me alot to buy this car. I absolutley hate FORD products. With Mazada still being owned by FORD when MY 04' was made I was scared to jump into this purchace. The car was a great price with low miles so I bout the car and fell in love. I immediatly drove a cross country and got great gas millage. Has never shown any signs of ware and I have put over 50k on the car in just under 2 years. Ignore all the 1 star comments, I have been a life long mechanic and would strongly recommend this car to close friends and family. great power for the around towndriver and highway speeds. If I have to pick one downside is the high RPM's while at highways speeds.

Fun to drive

by jen from Cleveland, OH on October 27, 2007

Mazda's "zoom zoom" commercials are right on the money for this little car... I bought the hatchback when they first came out and have loved it since. Handling is awesome, the interior space is surprising. The only complaints are the brick-like seats and the handling in the snow. The factory wheels and tire size make this car "float" over the snow, and snow tires are incredibly expensive. I got stuck a few too many times for comfort, and am now upgrading to an AWD vehicle.

1 2 3 4 5