NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2004 Mazda3

2004 Mazda Mazda3

$958 - $6,518  MSRP Range
2004 Mazda Mazda3

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 2004 Mazda Mazda3?

Great Vehicle

by am24 from Toronto, ON on Sat May 30 2009

My Mazda 3 GS Sport has now crossed 146,000 KMs. Other than oil changes, break pads...regular maintenance this car has been solid. No unnecessary visits to the mechanic. The car drives like new despite the mileage, it looks sporty and still turns heads when i shine it up. I love the rain sensing wipers, beautiful dash, red lights, projector lamps up front. My only gripe with the vehicle is its noisy pulley near the serpentine when it first starts and a whizzing noise around 2000-2500 rpm, this is supposedly normal. The vehicle however is solid, dont be fooled by what others say this car is just as reliable as any toyota corolla or honda civic it just drives alot better, reminds me of a 3 series bmw.

owned car for seven years now

by mastersteve from hartford,ct on Wed Oct 12 2011

if you want to own a very dependable car with great looks and decent power the mazda 3 is the way to go

Great car, but a few bugs

by My only regret is that it isn't American made from Gilroy Ca on Thu Jul 06 2006

I have a 2004 S with almost all the options. It's a great car. I autocross it and have a blast with it. I have had to take it in to the dealership many times to be troubleshooted. It stalls after putting gas in and sometimes stalls at idle. The first set of times, they finally changed some sensor and it corrected the problem. After another year or so the problem came back. I took it to the same dealer, mentioned that is has the same symptoms as before. They didn't seem to be too interested in that information. So they're going through the learning curve again and I am without a car. The irony is I bought this car new as I was tired of working on my old cars. Also, my wifes 2001 Camaro has never been back to the dealership and has over 90,000 trouble free miles. Those cars usually get bad reviews, but the Camaro wins out on reliability compared to the Mazda. Love the car, but considering selling it due to the maintenance issues and going back to GM to see what I can replace it with.

A good and reliable sporty car

by zoom3 from new york on Tue Mar 24 2009

I have the 2004 3s hatchback and its almost 5 yrs and 30,000 miles I've owned this car, and can tell you that the car runs great, fit & finish is still good, no rattles on rough roads, but had to replace the original goodyears recently with michelin. Battery lasted 4 yrs. before I replaced it, haven't had any major issues with this car and still enjoying the zoom-zoom.

This car fully embodies Mazda's zoom-zoom mantra

by weatherdan from Carlisle, PA on Tue May 02 2017

From the moment I laid eyes on this car, I fell in love. I never knew it at the time, but quickly realized that a hatchback was what I needed in life. Forget other hatchbacks that tout themselves as "sporty" or "versatile" - this car is the epitome of practical, fun, reliable, and well-designed. There's so much space in the vehicle when you fold the seats down you can fit whatever you need. Let me just tell you what I've managed to load in there thus far - a road bike, full-sized futon, 1 dozen crates of Turkey Hill iced tea, 35 backpacks worth of emergency supplies, small dining tables (including chairs), and more! Or, if you're hauling the breathing/bleeding type of cargo, they've got plenty of space too (unless they're over 6 feet tall - then you might have some width issues). Now, let me tell you about the rest of the car - the engine has plenty of grunt to it as it's not one of those "econoboxes" with an engine so small you need a magnifying glass just to find it. It's a 2.3 liter, four cylinder engine, made by Ford with all the other safety bits by Volvo. Quick history lesson: at the time this car was built, Ford still had a relatively large stake in Mazda, hence why if you look hard enough, most of the parts have "FoMoCo" emprinted on them. That being said, as a result of this homocarotic love-making endeavor that took place, what came about was a great package of mechanical bits. My one complaint though is the transmission - this 4-speed was carried over from the Protoge and unfortunately is just a bit sluggish; having a five speed would really solve some of the "get-up-and-go" problems this car lacks. That being said though, once you're up to speed, very infrequently do you need to downshift as the engine's torque gives you plenty of power when you need it. Overall, the look of the car is what sold me - nothing too dated, but very clean, simple lines that look beautiful even in this modern era (14 years after this car was born). I've had numerous individuals ask what year my car was, mentioning it had to be at least a 2010 model or newer, to which I happily correct them that this car is much older than that and happily explain the age and follow up with, "doesn't she look good though?", but only in my head so as not to be too prideful in my superior choice of motorized exoskeleton. As you can see, I can go on for much longer about how much I love this car. If I can keep her forever I'll try, but unfortunately living in central PA has taken its toll on the car's chassis and sadly her days are numbered (*wipes away the tears to continue typing*). If you're looking for something that does exactly what you want it to all the time and does it in style, look no further than the first generation Mazda 3 hatchback.

Mazda 3 surprised me

by ASE from Fresno, CA on Tue Feb 04 2014

First off I gotta say it took me alot to buy this car. I absolutley hate FORD products. With Mazada still being owned by FORD when MY 04' was made I was scared to jump into this purchace. The car was a great price with low miles so I bout the car and fell in love. I immediatly drove a cross country and got great gas millage. Has never shown any signs of ware and I have put over 50k on the car in just under 2 years. Ignore all the 1 star comments, I have been a life long mechanic and would strongly recommend this car to close friends and family. great power for the around towndriver and highway speeds. If I have to pick one downside is the high RPM's while at highways speeds.

Some issues but still a great car

by Orange you glad i didn't say banana from fort worth on Mon Aug 04 2008

Bought the car new in 04. Had trouble similar to others with factory tires wearing out quickly (34,000) and back brakes messing up rotors (51,000) which cost about $300. Funky auto transmission lurch from 1st to 2nd when engine cold. Dealer eventually fixed. But not once have I felt like I purchased a poor quality car. The drive and engine response, the style and the body integrity have all impressed me. This car is fun to drive and regardless of the problem areas I've mentioned, very reliable. I've never owned a new car whose factory battery lasted more than three years. The exterior paint and interior parts still shine like new. I would definitely recommend this car for a first time driver, for someone wanting to worry about gas mileage and still have fun driving.

Don't overlook this car

by RNMan27 from TN on Sat Feb 17 2007

When I was in the market for a car to replace my 1999 Mustang (v6) I looked at a number of vehicles. The Mazda 3 was somehow off my list at first, until I happened to drive one. I was very impressed, it handled better than my Stang and the acceleration despite being a 4 banger was impressive. The reviews on the car looked great and so I bought it and couldn't be happier. Now I have a car that is fun to drive(Zoom-Zoom is right) and I can still get my kids in the backseat. The hatchback is handy when you need extra space for hauling larger items...its amazing what you can get in this little car. The 6 disc CD changer is great and the steering wheel audio controls are a great feature. The manual transmission is smooth and easy to shift and the clutch is very forgiving. (A great car for a first time stick driver...or an experienced one). The large wheels grip the road and give sportscar stying to this 4 door car. The sunroof adds to the sporty feel on sunny spring days. My only complaint is that the engine compartment is cramped around items that may need the drivers attention...such as headlight bulbs. You have to be a rocket scientist contortionist to change one of those things...especially the one on the driver's side. While all the "plastic" engine coverings look great, it does make working on the vehicle a bit challenging. Other than that the car is fantastic.

An amazing amount of car for the price

by bobtins from Oakland, CA on Mon Nov 06 2006

I've been really happy with this car for the last 2 1/2 years. It feels very fast and agile, looks great, can haul a lot of stuff and people, and has the refinement of a much more expensive car.

Very Reliable, good gas mileage and performance

by JT from Houston, Texas on Thu Jul 27 2017

I drove this car for about 6 years, and I never once had a complaint about it. It had solid gas mileage, and handled sharply with a light touch. It had admirable pick-up speed and allowed me to make quick maneuvers when needed. I would highly recommend this car as a starter for any high school/college student.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2004 Mazda Mazda3

I suppose in these days of freedom fries and the Boycott France campaign of Bill O’Reilly – about whom there has been much buzzzzz lately – few in the United States would agitate for the return of French-made cars. Quel dommage.

The French carmakers – PSA Peugeot Citroën (now a single company) and Renault – build some awesome cars. Partisans of the Mitsubishi Evo VIII or Subaru WRX STi ought to take a few laps in a Renault Clio V6, a rally-bred sport compact with a 255-hp V6 mounted amidships, where the back seat ought to be. Then we’ll see who the surrender monkeys are.

I particularly like Renault’s sense of adventure when it comes to styling. Cars such as... Read More