2011 Mazda3

4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Small Car - Big Fun

by MazdaMatt from Orlando, FL on March 25, 2011

I was looking for a fuel efficient vehicle to use for work as gas prices are getting kind of high and I drive about 100-150 miles per day. I shopped around and looked at the Civic (engine a bit weak), Cruze (not bad, 2nd choice), Jetta (cheap interior, engine feels like it was sourced from a farm tractor) and Elantra (long term durability). These were all good cars, with some minor flaws but I probably would have been happy with any of them had I chose them. However, my friend suggested I take a look at Mazda's 3 which comes in a hatch or sedan. I immediately liked the styling. I know many people make fun of the big smiley face grille, but overall the car is nicely styled in and out and I find it sticks out from the crowd. I drove both the 2.0 Mazda 3i and the 2.5 Mazda 3s and found the 2.5 to be far and away the better engine for this car. The 2.0 was peppy, but the 2.5 with the 6 speed manual transmission is nice and torquey and really gets up and goes. I also drove the Mazdaspeed3 which is turbocharged and lightning fast, but that was too costly and requires premium gas. The car handles like a sports car yet the ride is not too firm. It has a small turning radius and takes curves with a minimum of body roll or lean. I average about 28 mpg in city and highway traffic, plus I have a heavy foot so I could never be a hyper-miler and get great gas mileage in every day driving. On longer highway trips I have averaged 32-34 mpg with the speed manual. I have the Grand Touring package which has leather, power windows and locks, Bose stereo and a sunroof, so the interior is a nice place to spend time. The seats are firm and nicely bolstered. Comfy for longer trips and hold you in place if you want to enjoy the twisties. It also came with headlights that adjust to the angle of the steering wheel, which if you never have experienced (I hadn't) is really a nice safety feature at night, especially on the unlit roads around where I live. All in all the Mazda 3 is a refined, fun, sporty vehicle that dollar for dollar may be a bit more expensive then the competition but it seems better bolted together and the engine (2.5l) and suspension are worth the price difference alone. Drive one before you purchase anything else, don't let the big smile up front scare you, this car is a treat.

Great value for your money!

by PwrofJoe from Woodland Hills, CA on January 28, 2011

I was caught between buying a Honda Civic, VW Jetta or the Mazda3. The Civic lacked substance.. it was simple, not sporty, lacked knobs and features. The VW fell in the same category as the Civic, it was just blah. Dont get me wrong, they are great cars, but their design lacks a statement. It's just another car parked at the grocery store. The Mazda3 has great design, modern and a nice body kit. The interior feels solid and luxurious. Some people like the the front grill and others dont. In all honesty, if you dont sport a turbo charger, a big block engine or some NA performance engine, you dont need to have an aggressive front grill. The Mazda3 is a fun car and should be smiling! Enjoy!

Fun car with room

by Fun Mommy from Syracuse, NY on July 6, 2011

I needed a car with enough room for our 4 year-old and the baby on the way, but I didn't want to sacrifice style or enjoyment to drive. We test drove a 5spd Mazda 2 first. It is very fun and peppy and I like the styling of the controls better, but it is just way too small to put anyone in the back. I love the exterior design of the Mazda 3 and the interior is much more roomy than you would think (fits a rear-facing car seat in back and my 6'1 husband fits in front of it). We have all the room we need and it is fun for me to drive (I have the 5spd 2.0l) The pickup from a stop is a little sluggish, but it handles amazing and once you get moving, it is quite peppy! I definetly do NOT feel like a soccer mom in this. My only complaint is the loud cabin @ 65mph or over, and the base sound system is poor. I love this car, and it is a great value for our growing family. I look for excuses to drive it, and with it's long list of safety features, it leaves me worry free! I definetly recommend it!

Exactly what I needed, cost less than I thought

by Guy who wants it all from Columbus, OH on September 27, 2011

I had a hard time finding a car that met my requirements. I wanted something that had 4-doors, a decent amount of interior space, got good mileage with regular gas, wasn't a drag to drive, was available with leather interior, and offered an available roof-rack. The Mazda3 Grand Touring met all these requirements, and cost far less than I was willing to pay for a new car. Exterior - for an economy priced hatch, I think this car looks nice. In the Grand Touring trim, it came with decent looking alloy wheels. Tires are surprisingly big and sporty for a car this size. Interior - is really nicely appointed, and for a car of this price has a lot of great features. 10-speaker Bose sound is good, and the stereo has some great features: automatic volume control, 6-CD changer, integrated Bluetooth, AUX input, and MP3 playing capabilities. Interior quality is OK, but not as sharp and well designed as my Honda Accord EX was. Driving impressions - High points of driving this car are the car's cornering (which is impressive) and breaking (which is good). With the upgraded (2.5L) engine, I thought pick-up would be a little better. Mileage is OK (could be better); about 28 on the HWY, and I can do about the same in mixed city/highway driving if I drive conservatively. Driving comfort is pretty good; it is a nice mix of quiet and comfortable, but still feels sporty with the nice handling. I tried spending more on a car, but I couldn't find the mix of features that the Mazda3 GT offered, even at a much higher price. I considered Lexus Ct200h, Acura TSX wagon, and Audi A3 TDI, but couldn't find any of these cars in these trims available at a decent price. I would recommend this car.

Wow!

by Zim-Zim from Cheyenne, WY on September 21, 2011

I bought a new 2010 Mazada 3 Grand Touring and loved it. One year later it was totaled by hail. I sought out another Grand Touring, ended up going 100 miles to buy the one I found. It is worth the trip, loved the first one, love the second even more, the 2011 comes with more standard bells and whistles on the Grand Touring. I cannot say enough positive things about this car. It makes you want to drive! I wasn't even looking at Mazada until my wife suggested we drive one, had to have it once we drove it. Great resale value. Fun to Drive. Great milage but plenty of power. All the extras make you feel spoiled. Drive one, you will want it. Zoom Zoom is right. Get the Grand Touring, worth the extra cash.

Comfortable fun

by Very old man from New Orleans on November 21, 2010

I replaced my '96 Miata with the 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback. I believe that I gave up little if anything in handling and gained much in comfort. Actually, I believe the 3 will tolerate more lateral g than the Miata. Of course, it could be the tires.

great driving......better than the competition!!!

by pilocho from on August 14, 2011

I just bought this car two weeks ago and I can tell it was a smart purchase...this car drives better than a honda civic or a toyota corolla, even better than the new jetta....the only thing I regret about my car is that doesn't have a sunroof....this car is well equiped for less than $20,000 such bluetooth,nice sound system and many things more

My Zoom Zoom

by Jen from Hamburg, NJ on February 19, 2011

This car is a joy to drive! It has wonderful pick up and all around zip. Gas mileage is great too!!! My car before this one was a Camry and I feel like I've gotten 20 years younger driving this car. I really wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it when I was car shopping, but once I drove it, I was sold. It is fun to drive and performs well. Undoubtedly, for the money you pay for this car, it is an extremely good value.

So Far So Good

by SJO from Waterbury CT on January 17, 2011

Replaced my '05 Mazda3 Sedan with an '11...so I must like them, right? These cars are an unbeatable value if you like driving, some style, and not spending a lot of money. The other cars at this price point simply cannot compare to the 3's great steering and handling...though I agree that the suspension (at least on the trim levels with 17" wheels) could be a bit softer (or maybe I'm getting old). To be frank, I kind of liked the '05 exterior better, but the interior on the '11 is extremely well put together for a small sedan. Love the built-in bluetooth capability, though which it had built-in hard drive for MP3 storage.

Economical but a blast to drive

by Heffay from Lancaster,Pa on October 7, 2011

Just bought a 2011 Mazda 3 i Touring sedan. This car is so fun to drive. It has been quite awhile since I have owned a small economy car, and I am pleasantly surprised that a car that gets good MPG can be so enjoyable to drive. Very good pickup. Good design and quality in the cabin. Plenty of features, not a bare bones car. I look forward to driving this car.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7