2006 Mazda5

2006 Mazda Mazda5

2006 Mazda Mazda5

4.5

Have You Driven the 2006 Mazda Mazda5?

Seriously Consider Manual Trans

by Ballard from Seattle WA on Fri Aug 25 2006

We bought our 5 because both wife and I enjoy manual transmission driving, but need 3 seat row vehicle. I think the 5 may be the only such vehicle in US (?). It is quite a nice setup. Smooth and light clutch, easy and relatively precise shifter. The manual version of the Mazda5 significantly improves upon the weak performance complaints that have been associated with the automatic. My standard of reference for vehicle performance is the WA state stretch of I-90 going west from the Columbia River at Vantage, a ~10 mile long steady climb of 2,000 ft elevation gain (5% grade). With a full load of 5 people, luggage and a cargo box, and a/c on, our 5 was able to climb this grade at a steady 80mph in 5th gear. It would have been able to attain higher speed revving high in 4th gear. Our gas mileage with this load, on the 700 mile trip with average speeds 75-80 mph, was 24.5 mpg. Our overall mileage for five months ownership, city and suburban driving mostly, is 23 mpg and slowly improving.

City Minivan Alternative

by The Family Guy from Washington, DC on Thu Jul 22 2010

An extremely flexible layout, that works for our 4 children between 11.5 and 3.5 years old. Easy in, and easy out. Very good handling, and decent enough acceleration to make it both safe and fun, especially in the city. Needs the roof container for long trips. Only average fuel economy in the city (read 20.0 mpg), but we get 31 on the highway. I'd buy it again.

Great Car, not great for a large family

by mom of three from Pennsylvania on Wed Aug 03 2011

We bought the Mazda5 before we had our third child. We were looking for something with a third row of seats, but not quite as big as a minivan, and we loved the sporty look of the Mazda5. We love this car. It is small enough that you still feel like you're driving a car, but large enough to fit two adults and three small children. The only problem is that when we want to take vacations, it is not large enough to hold all of our suitcases, baby items, etc. In this case, we wish we would've gotten a car with more cargo room. We can only fit our large stroller in the back, with one of the third row seats folded down. If we didn't need the third row seating, this car would be perfect for us. I think this would be better for a family who only needed the third row as occasional seating.

Perfect car for people who don't want a minivan

by Family Man from Manteca, CA on Mon Apr 16 2012

The Mazda5 is an almost perfect compromise for people who want something a little bit more roomy and functional than a wagon, but don't want something wallowy and overly-heavy like a minivan. It offers three rows of seating, for a total of 6 passengers, and all of the back seats fold flat to make a very large, very usable cargo area. The 50/50 split of the third row is something I use all the time when we pick up Grandma from the airport and need to put her bags in the back, but still have room for her and the kids. I have a total of 2 gripes about this car, one of which is specific to the 2006 model year, and the other of which applies to the entire first generation. The 2006 model comes with an in-dash 6-CD changer, but no AUX input for my iPhone. Later model years include this standard, so that makes this a pretty annoying (though small) omission from the 2006. The entire first generation (2006-2011) has a pretty mushy automatic transmission. It often seems like it is searching for the right gear, and usually settles on the one that is just too high. It's a 4-speed auto, and I find myself wanting to switch it into manual-selection mode just to force it into 3rd or 2nd gear a LOT sooner than it will do it on its own. Luckily, though, you can also find these with manual transmissions. They are rare, but would probably make my only real gripe about the performance of this car null and void.

Great Crossover

by Japanese car enthusiast from Dallas, TX on Sat Oct 29 2011

I've owned vans before, and I've owned sedans before, but this is the best of both worlds. Mazda created a true crossover vehicle with the Mazda 5. It drives like a sports sedan, but is able to transport 6-7 people, or carry a van full of cargo. Granted it doesn't have the capacity of a full-size van, but it doesn't drive like a boat either. It's a fun vehicle to drive, and it gets 25-28 MPG. Test drive one, and you'll see.

Excellent value, microvan that drives like a car.

by Mazda5 owner from Philadelphia, PA on Tue Jul 17 2007

Expert that reviewed Mazda 5 was not too pleased with it, since it was smaller than most minivans on the market today and was not as powerful. I would say he totally missed the point of this car. For about $18K you get a vehicle that can transport 6 people, inside is similar in size to other ?minivans?, gets 23 mpg in the city and drives and feels like a car. Also it is the only minivan in US with a manual transmission. Size of Mazda 5 is its positive not negative side. As far as the performance, you just need to get manual rather than auto transmission. (By the way, I can?t understand why would you buy this car with auto transmission. If that is what you require look towards Toyota or Honda, with bigger engines they are more appropriate for auto). I am glad that Mazda brought this car to US, it fits exact spot it was designed to fill. If you like manual transmission and need a micro-van that fills like a car buy it.

Good Car

by #%$#% from Rochester, NY on Mon Oct 24 2011

This car has performance tires and sits pretty low so it's a pleasure to drive, but bumpy. Seats aren't all that comfortable either, but there are six bucket seats so everyone gets their own seat. Back seats fold down for nice roomy trunk. Mileage is 28.3mpg consistently. No major problems so far; We bought it used 4 months ago. Annoying: no armrest for front passenger. Can't turn off A/C on auto set.

Rust! Rust

by Fan from Montreal, QC on Sun Sep 28 2014

It is a good car overall. It is a very practical family mini-van. The only thing I hate about this car is the rust. My rear-left wheel well is almost gone. There are a lot of rust at the bottom. The resale value is not good as other Japanese makes.

Does not recommend this car!!

Function and Style!

by "Not a Soccer Mom" from Renton, WA on Mon Mar 17 2008

I just bought a Mazda 5 used. My old minivan blew up and I needed a replacement. I really wanted another minivan, but did not have the budget available for a late model traditional m-v. Enter the Mazda 5! With 2 young kids, an active lifestyle for all and a 20 mile congested commute this car is an all-in-wonder machine. The ride is comfortable for four, and although occasional passengers 5 & 6 don't get the same cushy seating, the rear seats are still a bit roomier than the average 2 door compact car. Since I'm a guy I really appreciate having a more "car-like" vehicle that still works for my family and carries cargo. The low-profile driver's seat, excellent snappy handling and smaller vehicle size make driving a little more sporting than a minivan or wagon.

Jealous of my wife's micro-van (Mazda5)

by Dad-with-Mazda5-Envy from Marlton, NJ on Mon Feb 26 2007

Weekends are special for me. Yes, I get to enjoy my family time, but it is the time when I get to drive my wife's 2006 Mazda5. If you haven't seen the Mazda5, imagine a mini-van, but about 25% smaller. This car is fabulous. I have two young children and this versatile car does well with all of the stuff and car seats. And, with the third row, it is perfect for the occasional friend, cousin or grandparent. The gas mileage has been great and the car has been perfect since the first day. My wife has always been ambivalent toward cars until I bought her the Mazda5. This car is tons of fun to drive. The handling is very tight and predictable. Even with a full load of people in the car, the accelleration is very good. The automatic transmission is smooth and you can use the manual override for even better perfomance. While there is nothing wrong with my average 4-door sedan, the Mazda is so much fun to drive in spite of the fact that it screams out "Soccer Mom!" For anyone that loves to drive but has young children in their lives, I highly recommend that you drive the Mazda5.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2006 Mazda Mazda5

The Mazda5 minivan is fun to drive. That's right: A minivan that's fun to drive. How can this be? The answer's beneath the sheet metal, as the six-person Mazda5 rides on a compact car platform, specifically the one used by the nimble Mazda3, and it's smaller than traditional minivans.

The benefits of this approach — sporty handling, minimal body roll and manageable dimensions — are readily apparent after only a short time behind the wheel. There are also, however, some significant drawbacks.

Exterior & Styling
If it weren't for its sliding rear doors, the Mazda 5 model would undoubtedly be considered a hatchback rather than a minivan. Mazda says sliding rear doors offer easier... Read More