2013 Mazda Mazda 5

Great for small families - Not enough storage

by from Long Beach, CA on September 28, 2012

Second row captains chairs are great for getting kids in/out. Third row bench seat is very small, but usable when needed and can fold down for good amount of 'trunk' space. The one BIG down side is the lack of storage space for the driver. The doors don't have pockets, there is no center console (except for a tiny open box), there is a shelf above the glove compartment that is too small to hold anything - though the glove compartment is large.. Overall, I like the car and am happy with it.

Putting the "Mini" back in Minivan

by from Bronx, NY on September 9, 2013

I have a growing family (soon to be 4 in all), and did not want a large car to drive in the city. This car Drives live a Civic and gives me the extra space I need when Moving with the family and a friend or 2.

great value, fun to drive.

by from on August 29, 2013

This is a great car/van. Really fun to drive. The hidden storage is great. I am 6'4" and I fit in all the seats.

If you run on a low budget

by from Fort Lauderdale, FL on October 3, 2013

Useful, best you can get for the money if you have just 2 children. Drives like a sedan. Feels better than a Camry.

I like my compact mini-van

by from on June 24, 2015

I've had my Mazda 5 for two years, bought it new. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. I am happy I bought it simply because I prefer driving small cars, but I needed something with a little more room for my two kids. It's great for getting the kids in and out, especially with the sliding rear doors. We rarely use the seats in the third row, but they're nice to have when we have an extra passenger. It's really easy to park since it's small and has a good turning radius. Here's my list of dislikes: My husband complains about not enough leg room. He is 6'2". He seems very uncomfortable on long trips. Not enough storage space. Too much road noise. We have car seats on both of the seats in the second row, which makes it a big pain to try to get into the third row. Have to remove one of the car seats when getting in and out. I wish there was an option for a V6. When I first bought the car, I felt like the acceleration was too slow, but now it doesn't bother me. The radio display kind of bugs me. It doesn't display the song information on regular (terrestrial) radio stations. For Sirius/XM, it shows the song info, but you have to press the Scroll button to see the whole name of the song. Even with my dislikes, I would still recommend buying. Make sure you purchase a roof rack because there is not enough room for luggage for a whole family when you're on a roadtrip. You should also know that the manufacturer recommends using synthetic oil, which isn't cheap, although you don't have to change your oil as frequently.

Not really worth it

by from Allentown, pa on April 11, 2015

I bought one and traded it in a year for my Scion XB. Much better value for the money, better price too.

Poor paint adhesion, bad warranty

by from Colorado on October 14, 2014

We have a 2013 Mazda5 Sport with 22,000 miles and the paint is coming off the car to bare metal around the wheel wells. It is also flaking off both rocker panels and about 18 inches up the doors on both sides. Mazda North America says this is not covered. We own two Mazdas, this plus a 2013 CX9. We will never buy another one because Mazda does not stand behind their warranty.

The power wagon!

by from San Francisco, Ca on November 6, 2013

The Mazda 5.. Wow, what a surprise! Spent nearly 3 weeks researching and shopping for a vehicle to replace our 2003 Honda Pilot EX. While our Pilot is still running flawlessly, we figured with 220k miles it was time to reduce its duties. We are a family of 6 with my kids ages at 15, 11, 4 and 2. Here are my quick thoughts.. Exterior - Looks more wagon than mini van, Dual sliding doors, simple flowing lines. Interior - Very clean and simple. We opted for the Grand Touring model. Leather seats, Heated seats, Sunroof, Vanity mirror, Bluetooth. Love the seat configuration, the captain chairs in the center give my older kids there own seat location. Two car seats in rear and the little one's still have plenty of room. Engine/Suspension - Surprisingly has good power for a 4cyl. Does not have skyactive engine but we are still getting 23-27mpg. With the family fully loaded it is a bit sluggish from a start but once it gets rolling it's moves comfortably. Suspension feels good, yet there is alot of road noise compared to my Honda Pilot. Drawbacks - Not much cargo space with all the seats up, a bit more road noise in cabin, lack of stock navigation of available. Overall - Hands down for the pricing and the amenities that the 2013 Mazda5 Grand touring has nothing really comes close. So far it's been a pleasure to own, can't really give thoughts on reliability but perhaps a few years from now I will revisit and update this blog.

Our Expert Review: 2013 Mazda Mazda 5

Similar Models

Select up to three models to compare with the 2013 mazda mazda5

2013 Scion xB
Starting MSRP $16,800

You have selected maximum of 3 cars

Remove one of these cars to add others or compare the below cars now.