Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2006 MazdaSpeed6

2006 Mazda MazdaSpeed6

2006 Mazda MazdaSpeed6

4.4

Have You Driven the 2006 Mazda MazdaSpeed6?

Bang for your (zoom zoom) buck

by Fastlane from Seattle, WA on Tue Nov 16 2010

I have a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 grand touring edition (try saying that 3 times fast). It's got 33000 miles on it and runs like a top. I only bought it three weeks ago so I can't attest to the reliability but I've owned mazdas in the past and they've always been great. My criteria for buying a car was: fast, four door, AWD, good looking. Initially I wanted an A4 but with Volkwagen/Audi having constant mechanical issues, I test drove one with no intention of buying it, then the WRX (overpriced), then I test drove the mazdaspeed 6. With about 70 more HP than either of the aforementioned cars, it blows them out of the water. Coming with bose sound, a 6 disc changer, heated seats (power drivers), leather, nav system, etc., this one was the one. I've been happy with it since I bought it, I'm constantly volunteering to go to the store or pick up the kids just because I love driving it. My wife likes that aspect of the car. If you don't love your mazdaspeed 6 I'd like to know why.

Best car ive ever owned

by BlkCherry6 from Queens, NY on Fri Jun 22 2012

In the 2.5 yrs ive had it, the Mazdaspeed 6 has proven to be a very versatile vehicle. If you have to carry 5 ppl, it can hold them with a reasonable level of comfort, it has a big trunk for the groceries, it has a great sound system(Bose), it only comes manual(so nobody asks to borrow your car), and o yea... chances are youll be showing that guy next to you taillights. 274 hp turbo 4cyl... parts to upgrade(ive got an exhaust an intake and a few other bolt ons on mine)... she can be as gentle as a lamb for cruising, or she can run like a cheetah with a rocket strapped to its back (awd gives you a bit of an edge out of the gate when u use it correctly)... doesnt get stuck in snow(at all, ive literally driven around stuck suvs and i have all season tires).. overall its an amazing car and i love mine dearly

The car I have the most fun driving!

by Speed6 owner from Arkansas on Tue Apr 03 2012

I have three cars, and this one is the most fun to drive. I don't get too upset when I have to play chauffeur to the kids, or it's raining and I dont want to ride my motorcycle. A good set of tires and the grip is limitless. Even in the rain, you can accelerate, corner, and brake with confidence. However in the dry, you can get a four tires spinning under you if you try aggressively. The car is simply a blast. Only released in limited numbers and for such a short production period ensures you will have one of the rarest cars on the road. Do a search for how many are for sale, then search something you think is pretty rare, you'll see. Mazda did something I wish all companies would do. That is all Mazdaspeed6's only come with a manual gearbox. It is a sportscar disguised as a "family car". This has worked to my advantage with the local police before as they don't profile this car. I do not see myself selling my car anytime in the future. My only complaint and my 4 star area was the interior design. With all the bells and whistles, you still don't have an auxiliary input. I don't like to change out the head unit, but I believe I will have to since I listen to my iPod or pandora over the radio. I would recommend this car to someone who, is interested in a great handling car, wants to feel "connected" to his vehicle, enjoys exclusivity. I will agree, it does sound dumb to say Mazda Mazdaspeed6.

Bang for the buck

by Made In Alaska from Anchorage, AK on Sun Oct 10 2010

This car is extremely agile, very quick, and best of all...it looks like a grocery getter so no police or competing car owners try to size you up...just to lose, in most circumstances. AWD system is very responsive. Comfortable seats, plenty of room. Great buy for the money.

I adore this car

by Phill from Queens, NY on Fri Mar 19 2010

Ive had this car for over 2 months now and I must say that its the best auto purchase decision ive ever made. It has locomotive like thrust and it handles as precisely as a surgeons scalpel. Ive shown many bigger, more expensive cars my taillights many times. My father drives a BMW 550I and is constantly asking me for my keys.. thats saying something

Do Not do the Recall

by Eric from Dallas,Texas on Wed Dec 13 2006

I fully agree with everyone stating that the zoom- zoom is gone after the recall, even my wife asked me what happened with the car and she didn't know about the recall....!!!! After reading other reviews I tried to stay away from doing the recall but since the car needed aligment and 2 new tires under warranty I had no choice but to take it to Mazda and evendo I was promised by the service department that they would not do the recall ,they still did it. Now it is a different car and I don't think I would have bought it if the performance been like this when I test drove the car.

Best care I've ever owned

by clinger from Washington DC on Fri Feb 21 2014

This is more of a long term drive review. I am the original owner of a 2006 model. I bought this car for the value,the stealth aspect and the fact that it was assembled in Japan. The clutch takes some getting used to and you should never let the guys at the care wash steer this baby into the track. That said, it is my daily driver in suburban DC for the past 87,000 miles. The styling is tasteful, but change your wheels. This thing goes through everything including significant snow. It holds your line very well and remains stable horizontally. It does go through tires because-guess what--it is fun to drive. It runs like a scalded cat once off the line. It loves to cruise at 90 and make you feel like you are at 60. It is easy to get carried away, The brakes are fabulous but expensive to replace. The insurance is affordable. There is almost no turbo lag. Most of all, this car is reliable with a capital R. No problems at all in 7 years. Did not "take advantage" of the recall. Have never once regretted my investment and hope to go a long time further.

LOVE IT!

by MAZDA FTW! from Washington, DC on Thu Mar 11 2010

I bought this car used a year and a half ago and love it! I drive it everyday to work and every time I drive it feels like the first time! this car is impossible to not like, it has the style, comfort, reliability, and speed. The AWD is amazing and great for bad weather!

what's not to love?

by weekendVette from Raleigh, NC on Tue Aug 22 2006

This car is hands-down the most value for the money in its class. Dyno tests have shown this car to roughly be putting out the same horsepower as the WRX STi... oh yeah - it's ~$10,000 cheaper than the WRX STi. I got mine for 22,900. Also, the power comes in EARLY... as in 2,500 RPMs. If I wanted to buzz around revving to 5,000 RPMs every time I wanted some power - or if I wanted a gaudy park bench for a spoiler - or if I wanted a sky high insurance rate because every 15 year old in a tilted hat and pink polo shirt with popped collar was buying it - I would have opted for the Sti or Evo. This car has the hint of some class - no wonder it's so unpopular with the teenagers. I cannot speak to the reliability as this is the first year the car has been made. I have had no issues so far.

Hot, hot, hot!

by Mazdaspeed666 from Dallas, TX on Sun Jul 16 2006

I traded in my Mazdaspeed Protege for the Speed 6 about two weeks ago. The Speed Protege was basically a race car in street clothing, only lacking more horse power. It was nimble, edgy and rode rough. The Speed 6 has it beat on every count but nimbleness and it isn't far behind considering it weighs 800 pounds more. When I test drove the Speed 6, I had it up to 100 MPH almost before I realized it. This car has a serious kick in the back when you put your foot down. At the same time, it's much more user friendly for those of us who drive in stop and go traffic regularly. The cabin is quieter, the clutch is more gentle and the ride, while not mushy by any stretch, is more gentle. This car is well suited for long trips as well as big city commuting for those of you who like to zoom-zoom at times. It's also very attractive (I got the the Black Cherry Mica which makes it look more classy), and it gets people's attention. Even so, the attention isn't because of the super big spoiler or other such unnecessary stuff which the Speed Protege had. The Speed 6 has a very reserved lip spoiler and the look qualifies it for Stealth status. Overall, I'd have to say this is about as much bang for your buck as you can get at the moment. The Subaru Legacy GT Spec B is supposed to be faster but its price tag is about $5K richer for the minimal improvement. A 325i couldn't touch it performance wise and is also $5K more. One more interesting note: Despite being a turbo 4 cylinder, the car feels like it running a V-8. Not just in the absolute power output but in the way the engine feels at low rpm when you're lugging it a little. Not sure how they did that but it feels good to know your four can put it out like a V-8. My only complaint with Mazda would be having to buy the GT model to get the sunroof as an option. That adds up to paying about $3000 for a sunroof. This is not good business smarts and Mazda shoud know it. Other than that complaint though, it's a lot of fun to drive and very practical as well since it has plenty of space. If you're in the market for a car in this category, I strongly recommend that you test drive it (warning: you'll be hooked).

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2006 Mazda MazdaSpeed6

I live in a typical suburban neighborhood - lots of houses, three-car garages, neatly trimmed yards, swing sets, and kids riding bikes in the cul-de-sac. Most of the cars that line the driveways and garages are very practical. I guess my neighbors are looking for some excitement in their lives because they all came out to ogle at the 2006 Mazda Speed6 when I pull into my driveway. It is one hot little number with its speedy purpose clear in its design.

Just a hunch, but I don't think that the Mazda engineers had me in mind when they designed the Mazda Speed6. Let's see, mom of three, living in suburbia, a stoplight every other intersection - I barely have a chance to drive at highway speeds, let... Read More