2002 MPV

2002 Mazda MPV

2002 Mazda MPV

4.1

Have You Driven the 2002 Mazda MPV?

I put 144000 miles in 4 years Never let me down

by Jim in Cincy from Cincinnati, OH on Fri Aug 18 2006

I ran this van just about every day hard. Mosty freeway driving. It has held up great. I liked the rear heat and air. It seemed to keep the temp. even though out the van. I towed a small trailer once from Ohio to Florida with out a problem. Mialage dropped a bit but that was expected. the interior heald up with all the use but does show the wear. I'm considering an MPV to replace this one.

150 K miles and still going strong

by Mazda Mom from Washington DC on Mon Mar 21 2011

I love, love, love my MPV. I bought it with 4K miles on it. We only had one minor ($500) repair at 50K miles, and since then, smooth sailing. My kids love that the middle seat windows go down, I love the rear air and heat (so no complaints from those in the rear) and we all love that it is incredibly reliable. It still has the zoom zoom. I have never had a car make it to 120K miles, much less 150K, but I believe my MPV will go to 200K miles easy. I wish they still made them, I would definitely buy another.

Solid Van

by carguy from on Sun Jul 26 2009

Great looking minivan that is very functional with some different options that others don't have. The windows in the second row go down. It is in the smaller class for a minivan so it is goes in the garage easily. Dual powered sliding doors are reliable after 7 years.

Fun to drive minivan

by Fast Driver from Raleigh, NC on Tue Sep 14 2010

I have enjoyed my minivan that doesn't drive like a minivan. Can pile in the kids but still fit in compact car places. I think this is about as small as a minivan gets. Recently bought a new small suv and now I miss my V6 MPV. Only drawback was that the check engine light was sensitive but maybe that is why it has lasted so long since I was forced to pay attention to repair needs that were usually minor. Sliding doors were sensitive but always worked. With some TLC this van runs forever.

versatile and reliable

by Maximom from Washington DC on Wed Jun 17 2009

I LOVE my MPV, so sorry they are no longer producing it. Bought it used with 5K miles and it now has 128,000 miles on it, and has given me very little trouble. Handles great, cold AC, acceleration is fine and you just can't beat the reliability factor. I can open the sliding doors or lock the car from REALLY far away, that always amazed me. I think it will go to 200K miles, no question.

Great for a family

by David from Nj on Fri Aug 18 2017

Very good comfortable at highway. Easy to take trips with this car. Low gas mileage consumption for a van.

Practical and reliable

by Mr. Practicality from Queens, NY on Tue Apr 10 2012

Bought this mini van(second hand) for its small size, yet its clever interior design can still fit 7 adults. Drives like a sedan and its very reliable. Over all great value for the money.

Good mini van but

by FormerMPVowner from Washington DC on Wed Sep 22 2010

The Mpv is good for it's just right size, versitility, ride and handling, but at 90,000 miles the coverters went bad. They are a dealer only item, and very expensive. I traded mine in, but I miss it.

VERY Disappointed.

by Minivan Mom from Cleveland, OH on Mon Apr 09 2012

I purchased my 2002 Mazda Mpv after researching for months. I was sold on the good consumer reviews, clean car fax and the safety and reliability it was supposed to have. I am uncertain if I purchased a "lemon" but my van has been nothing but a headache. I purchased it with 85.000 miles in 2011. Within one week my check engine light came on with 6 (yes 6) different alerts. 2 for 2 bad catalytic converters, 1 for a bad solenoid in the transmission, 2 for injector misfires and I honestly can't remember what the sixth was for. I took it to my mechanic to assess how much it would cost to fix the issues and found that my frame had already begun to rot. I would of paid more to fix the car than I paid for it originally. I will not purchase a Mazda again.

Does not recommend this car!!

Worst car I've ever owned? Heck,worst I'veheard of

by 'As You Know' Bob from Albany on Sun Jul 18 2010

My previous car was a 1990 Mazda Miata - which *continues* to be the best car I've ever owned. On the strength of the Miata's quality, when it was time to get a minivan, I bought a 2002 MPV. And it's been a non-stop nightmare to own. Leaking oil, leaking GAS, failed hatch struts, the "Check engine" light that comes back on only a week AFTER $2500 "repairs", bad suspension, bad coils, $600 to change the sparkplugs(!). Just a nightmare.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2002 Mazda MPV

Our two-week stint in the 2002 Mazda MPV minivan reminded us of one of the summer's blockbuster movies: Attack of the Clones.

This short-wheelbase people mover from Ford's Japanese affiliate is no mold-breaker. It borrows styling inspiration and steals bits and pieces of hardware from benchmark models -- for instance, the tumbling third-row seat from the Honda Odyssey and power sliding side doors from Chrysler minivans.

And yet Mazda proves it's good at aggregation with the latest MPV, which has been modestly restyled and given more power for 2002. Our test vehicle, a well-equipped ES edition, was priced at $28,637 -- for some buyers, a great value.

He: We're used to talking with parents of young... Read More