2006 Mazda Mpv

Initial quality questionable; good price for value

by from San Jose, CA on September 30, 2006

Damaged fuel cap caused "check engine" light to go on within 24 hours of this MPV LX-SV delivery. I guess the sales damaged it while fueling. Mazda should use a stronger plastic for its fuel cap. The 3 Litter engine with 200 horse power is decent for this MPV. Acceleration is not as linear as I would like though. Fuel ecnonmy is poor. I get slightly less than 17 for my non-highway commute. It is fun to drive this vehicle.

Very reliable, useful and pleasing style

by from Winter park, FL on April 22, 2013

This is our second MPV. The first one was a 2003 ES(leather seats). We liked our first one so much that when it was totalled by a friend who borrowed it, we looked for and found a used 2006 with only 17,000 miles and a year old. This one has been even more reliable than the first one! Performs like a sports car and carries 7 passengers and a lot of cargo. The styling is very pleasing as opposed to the majority of vehicles made these days which copy the same futuristic style.

Good Used Car Value

by from Dayton, OH on August 8, 2013

I had a specific reason for choosing the Mazda MPV: I was looking for the car with the largest interior space I could get that would still fit in my 1926-built garage. Minivans like the Odyssey and the Sienna won't fit, they are too long and wide. I want the space and usefulness of a minivan, but I also want to put the car in the garage so I don't have to burn up or scrape off snow and ice. The MPV meets the bill on usefulness although it doesn't have as much space as my old Toyota Previa. But then, none of the newer minivans are that spacious in that small a package anymore, new design standards seem to have eliminated size-for-space. The MPV is a fairly utilitarian car, which I appreciate, as I have no compunction about dumping dogs and storage boxes in it. The dogs like the car, as the sliding seat in the middle makes a bench for the aging collie and allows easy access to the back area for the others. A few sheets thrown over the seats help to preserve the cloth seats, which are firm and comfortable. I like having bucket seats/captain's chairs in the middle row. The back row is a bench that folds into the floor, and gives you a nice-sized cargo area, my most desired feature. Engines and power are not my thing, I just need the car to go and be reliable. Haven't had any complaints in that department. The only mechanical thing I've noticed is that the car is slow to respond when you accelerate, so you have to learn to work with that when getting on a short highway ramp. I like the dashboard layout and the storage bins and their locations. I especially appreciate having space on the floor for bags next to the driver's seat, being not at all fond of the design trend that fills up the space between driver and front passenger with bins, none of them big enough to put a purse in. The MPV doesn't feel as spacious as my old Previa, but it feels more spacious than many other models I considered, like the first-round Highlander and the Hyundai Santa Fe. All in all, I think this will be a car I will keep and enjoy for a while.

Great family or work vehicle

by from Hollywood, FL on April 21, 2017

I got this last year from my parents who bought it New and they never had any problems and neither have I. My mom used to deliver medicine all over central Florida and put 200k miles doing that and it never failed her. The cargo option was excellent for that line of work. Maintenance was always done on time so that was important in making sure it ran right. It's been good to my family all these years and still runs strong and the a/c still works very well, which is very important in South Florida! This is a great vehicle to take the family out on the weekends or for road trips as well as to transport anything from an upright piano to a large grill, both of which I carried in it. And if you put a hitch on it you can haul even more and it will take it. The engine is more than enough for it. Great van!

don't buy this car ever

by from New York on February 28, 2014

the transmission will fail for sure, it starts with slipping gears and then fail completely. cost around $3000. very poor mpg the engine is not bad Avoid this car

Best minivan iv owned

by from Oregon on September 8, 2007

By far is easier to drive and is alot more comfortable than others i have owned. My business uses minivans for transportation and i want to buy more Mazdas after buying one for my wife. The roll down windows in the back are awesome!

Probable reliability problems!

by from Milwaukee,WI on October 6, 2006

This car is well known for it's "shift shock" (5 speed automatic) transmission problems which mazda/ford seems unwilling to fix. This is very likely the last year for this mini van as Mazda plans to make a cross over vehicle for 2007. There was also an annoying rattle comming from the steering wheel on the example I drove.

audi a3

by from topeka kansas on October 27, 2006

I have had the Mpv for 6 years, and it sucks. It broke down and the manafold cracked, which would have cost$750 to replace. My opinion:get a Chrysler Pacifica.

3rd mazda i have own, first mazda van

by from oak creek,WI on October 5, 2017

Have had the van for 1 week and so far I love it. My last van was a toyota which I loved the mazda is just as awesome with comfort and room.!

Uses car for Transportingfamily