1999 MX-5 Miata

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata

1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata

4.5

Have You Driven the 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata?

One fine car

by GK from Denver, CO on Wed Jan 28 2009

I have had this car for 8 years and put over 100K miles on it. I bought for myself as a 50th birthday present. Similar to everyone else's experience, it's the most durable car I have ever owned. The only non-scheduled repair was to replace a clutch slave cylinder (a $40.00 part) that I easily replaced myself. I'm on the original clutch as well and most of my mileage is from in city commuting! This is not a garage queen and gets driven because its so fun to drive and drive hard. I bought the car for its handling. If you have never driven a Miata it's really hard to compare it to anything else. I have had the opportunity to drive many fine sports cars costing considerably more but none really matched this car from a fun to drive standpoint. The Miata will run circles around my 82 RX7 (the car it replaced) and that's saying a lot because the 7 was a pretty good handling car as well. The only downside is that road trips can be somewhat on the uncomfortable side if you have long legs.The seatbacks don't provide much lumbar support and leg room is just a tad short (I'm 5'11"). One more click on the seat adjuster would have been perfect for me. I drove from Denver to Clearwater Florida (4400 miles round trip). I found it hard to get comfortable especially cruising on the interstates. I didn't have cruise control at the time which contributed to the problem. I fixed that with an after market control unit that I easily installed myself as well. Bottom line is interstates are not were this car belongs. The car is in its element on two lane rural roads (the more twists and turns the better). The top down and 60 to 65mph is a joy. From a gas mileage standpoint the car easily gets 25 mpg in city traffic, 30 to 31 mpg at freeway speeds, and I have seen as high as 34 mpg on those back roads I mentioned. If you have a need to feel young again, like wind in your hair, appreciate an extraordinary handling car and are allergic to repair shops a Miata (any Miata) would more than satisfy you. Zoom Zoom!

186,000 Miles and runs like new

by Ivan from Nokomis, FLA on Thu Oct 26 2006

Put aside everything else like unmistakeable styling, simplicity, and handling second to none. Lets talk DURIBILITY, I bought my Miata Brand new and it now has 186,000 miles on it. Still is the origional top, and the origional clutch. Other than routine oil changes and scheduled service -"I have not stuck A DIME into it." NO KIDDING! Enough said. Ivan Nokomis,FLA.

Fun and practical

by fRed from Portland, OR on Tue Apr 01 2008

Have had it for 2 years. I knew it'd handle well and be fun to drive, and both expectations are met. At 5'11" I find it comfortable, even on trips of up to 400 miles. I've been additionally pleased with its practicality. 25 MPG around town and 30 on the hwy. Useful trunk. Windshield/roll bar combination enables me to carry lumber! At 70k I've had no repairs, and maintenance is limited to strictly routine items. Long life for brakes and tires, even with reasonably spirited driving. I just love the thing. Do yourself a big favor and buy one.

great for twisty roads

by miataadam from coquitlam, BC on Wed Nov 08 2006

sweet handling, good looking, fun to drive, not fast enough...recommend it for people under 5' 11" , it's a bit small for others. The 10 year anniversary edition is the way to go. Great stereo, comfy seats. reliable, these things are vertually bullet proof! Not great in the snow. I can get 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk- with a little effort.

A fun car that can also be a reliable daily driver

by Zoom-zoomer from Winona, MN on Wed Feb 06 2013

This is my 2nd Miata. The 1st was a first generation 1996 base model with the 1800cc engine. This I believe is still the most popular Miata. I've always thought the (NB) 2nd generation model was the best looking, but I wanted to wait until spring 2013 to start looking for a nice one. I found one however in the middle of January at a dealership. I didn't realize until my initial viewing of the 1999 that it had the Hard-S competition handling package. What a nice surprize! I bought it on the spot. Through the years Mazda has featured different handling and trim editions of the MX-5 Miata, all geared to appeal to enthusiasts of a drivers car. To the general public the Miata is this cute little convertible, but in reality it's a very reliable, safe, great handling car. To the enthusiast like myself it's the best handling lightweight roadster available at any price. With 50/50 weight distribution it can be driven hard into a corner and remain neutral. It has adequate power but not enough to upset the car with the average at the wheel. You can shift through the gears and have fun without breaking the speed limit. I would suggest checking out some on-line forums to learn more about, and better appreciate thje Miata. If you like go-cart handling, an engine that likes to rev, a nice exhaust note, and super reliibility, get a Miata MX-5. It will quite literally put a smile on your face!

One of the all-time great convertibles

by mr.excitement from Nashville, Tn on Wed May 09 2012

An easy to live with sports car. Always makes you smile when you drive it, bullet-proof reliability, great gas mileage, and a top you can raise and lower at a stop light without leaving the drivers seat. No wonder the Miata has been widely considered one of the best cars available every since it came out. Hard to beat; impossible to beat for the money!

Fun, fun, fun...

by Miata Driver from Chicago, IL on Fri May 12 2006

This is the perfect summer car...small, fun, handles great. The engine is really peppy (we call our car Zippy) and the stick is a lot of fun. The car is not too noisy for a convertible. Obviously you're going to get blown around a bit when it's windy, but other than that, the car really hugs the road. The visibility is not great when the top is up. You really have to double check before changing lanes because there's a big blind spot over your right shoulder. The car needs lots of TLC. My fiance is the primary driver and he's a little heavy handed (better suited to a Jeep Wrangler). The car has definitely shown some wear and tear under his care. The passenger side inside door handle casing ripped out and the leather seats have cracked under heavy sun and perspiration. Overall, I'd definitely recommend the car. It just needs a little TLC.

1999 mx 5 160k miles

by MxTopDown from Georgia on Fri Mar 06 2015

Bought mine at 142k miles, black on black 5spd manual. Now it is at 160k miles. The ride is low and firm. Don't feel any body roll. I look under the chassis, all kind of metal bars and bolts underneath. Steering wheel feels firm under 80 mph. The car hugs the road, glides on curvy bridge and roads at 70mph on 45 mph limit. Most enjoying when driving top down. Can't get my eyes off staring at the car parked top down in driveway. Great body styling. I drove 5k miles on road trip. Very comfortable seat, even without cruise control. Not tired or having backache at all. Love the sound of the engine. Small car, but feel powerful pull and heavy when rolling behind wheel. Very reliable car. Easy to do self maintenance, oil and filter change. The car has its own forum for any issues at Miata.net. Very happy with the purchase.

perfect british roadster

by GEEZER from Murfreesboro, TN on Sat Sep 01 2012

Car had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it. Runs great, very reliable. It took Mazda to perfect the British roadster. Doesn't leak oil, rainwater, or voltage (aka. Prince of Darkenss British electrical systems). Just filled it up today and got 29 MPG. I'd recommend these beasties to a friend anytime.

Forever a Miata Fan

by Hayes from Atlanta, GA on Tue Feb 04 2014

This is the second Miata I have owned, my first being a 1996 model with a few issues. Initially I didn't like the size and parted ways quickly. I found myself in a full-size sedan and missed the fun of zipping around, top-down, that only the Miata delivers. I got my current 1999 over three years ago and have had no major issues. Just basic maintenance, a new top after a break-in and some TLC, and this car has been nothing but a delight. I have put well over 50,000 miles and it's my daily driver. I have taken trips across the state and state lines. While not the most comfortable I am also 5'8" and fit the car perfectly. My Miata has the sport suspension package and body kit, as well as all power options and leather. Basically a fully loaded, four speed automatic. I would enjoy one or two more gears that would really give the car an MPG boost but when I can fill up under $40 I don't have much to complain about. I am looking for a practical secondary car but refuse to give this little green gem up.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata

A SPECIAL EDITION OF A SPECIAL CAR -- THE FUN-LOVING MAZDA MIATA

The tenets of most religions include at least two shared and powerful notions: rebirth and revelation.

Welcome to the House of the Two-Seat Sports Coupe, whose flock declined through the 1960s, '70s and '80s, but for whom rebirth and revelation came in 1989 at the Chicago Auto Show. For that is when Mazda introduced the Miata, and affordable, two-passenger ragtops became all the rage.

Today, 10 years later, more than 500,000 Miatas have been produced (half of them for the US market), and auto manufacturers in Europe, America, and Japan continue to play catch-up in this nifty little niche market.

That is because, down the... Read More