1999 Protege

4.3

Have You Driven the 1999 Mazda Protege?

1999 protege dx

by lemansfan01 from orlando,fl on Thu Aug 10 2006

excellent car for the money....i own a 1999 protege dx,with 105000 miles on it,and never had a problem with it...i just had to remplace the belt ,the plugs and the left axle,and a new battery,and just replaced the timing belt at 104000 miles.perfect in gas mileage..one of the best small cars to own! i still get around 33 miles a gallon.acceleration is good for a small engine (1.6l),and you can zip thru traffic very easy. the car is comfortable enough to drive 10 hours without back pain.

It works for me

by It's my car from Bellingham, WA on Wed Apr 26 2017

I love this car for getting around in... Not looking forward to any long road trips tho. Good first car for high school or Freshman college age.

My '99 Protege

by Retired EducatorTh from Falls Village, CT on Sat Jun 24 2006

This has been my third in a series of Mazda Proteges. I love the responsive handling and the reliability. This car comes with a sun roof, tape deck, CD player, and two snow tires. I drove an earlier version 15,200 miles around the country visiting schools -- without a single problem.

In 2 wrecks, and STILL runs great!!!

by Sam-jam 06 from Waco, Texas on Thu Apr 26 2007

I was in 2 wrecks (one that smashed up the whole passenger side), and the other wreck was from the other side and hit the tire. I could drive the car after both wreck with no problems at all!!! I only had 1 problem with my car (other than it being a manual transmission-which took me a while to learn how to drive), but all that was wrong was the back left window somehow got off track (which isn't much to fix). I loved my car, but I'm not able to drive it anymore because unfortunately the insurance company won't put insurance on a car that's beat up :o(. I loved my car so much. It was reliable! I got almost 40 miles/gallon on the highway, and close to 35 in town. I would definitely recommend this car to anybody wanting to buy one. It was a great car, and if I could, I'd still be driving it today!

1999 Mazda ES

by Chris76 from Chicago, IL on Sun Feb 26 2012

I bought this car in December of 1998 with only 7 miles on it. I owned it for 13 years until I was rear ended in a car accident the other day and was planning on keeping it for at least a few more years. I had originally planned on getting an Evo2 body kit for it to make it a little more sporty looking for my tastes but never got to. This car handles great and the fuel mileage is amazing! The interior is comfortable and roomy and overall well laid out. Overall this is a excellent little car. If you're looking for an extremely fast car.. this isn't for you, but if you're looking for a reliable car with great handling and great gas mileage (especially in these times) then this is a good one to consider. I'm seriously considering getting another to replace the one that was just wrecked.

Great little car

by Practical Car Buyer from Chicago, IL on Wed May 10 2006

I've had this car for 7 years and it's still running like new. The gas mileage is a huge plus with today's prices.

by Dual Protege owner from Central Illinois on Thu Jun 01 2006

This car is a workhorse and has reliably put up with weather abuse well over time. The car is not quiet and smooth but gets you where you are going and does so reliably. It has nice lines and reasonably comfortable seating. Having had two of them I can attest to their body integrity and overall car value. I would recommend the car highly as it has outlasted several other cars in our family that were purchased later.

Awesome Car

by Jhargs from Omaha on Thu Sep 21 2017

Great car for a low budget!!! Could not ask for anything better!!! If you are looking for a great car a 1999 Mazda Protege may be for you!

Dont get DX if you like to beat Red lights. =)

by Jeshee01 from No Town, NV on Mon Aug 14 2006

" I owned the Dx version. Let me tell you, my friends 86 Honda Accord LXi hatch was faster. I got Caught for trying to beat the Red light by the Police. The AC totally Overwhelms the power of the car. even w/o AC on it was still slow. but i love the car in terms of handling. it was fun to drive even tho it was slow. i loved how spacy it was. And for the money, totally worth it: if your only going to school or short trips. The interior was far more roomy then my other friends compact cars. But For a DX, this is as base at it gets. i do love my car. but i rather get the better version. thank you for your time.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best inexpensive car I have ever owned

by Jhargs from Omaha on Tue Sep 12 2017

This is an awesome vehicle. I bought it 2 years ago and have loved every minute of owning it. Can not imagine life with anything else!

Our Take on the 1999 Mazda Protege

I love cars like the new Mazda Protege ES. You look at it and see what appears to be just another small, mild-mannered imported sedan aimed at budget-minded families.

But Protege ES is more than that.

Our test car was a little road rocket, packing much more muscle and a sportier suspension system than you might expect.

Mazda may have pruned many of the sporty, unprofitable cars from its lineup in recent years -- the RX-7, the MX-3 and MX-6 -- but the spirit of those cars is alive and well in the Protege.

Performance, handling... Read More