2001 Mazda Protege

A very good economical family car

by from Tucson AZ on January 5, 2007

A very nice car for a family or for good transportation. Comfortable, good gas mileage, fun to drive, good all around car, easy on tires the original ones lasted 36,000 miles.

Love this Car

by from Indianapolis, In on July 20, 2012

I've had my MP3 for 4.5 years have put almost 140K miles on it. Now w/ 220K still runs like a champ.

2001 Protege LX 2.0 was average car

by from Washington on May 28, 2013

This car was a great value, although I found the build quality to be only average. The car developed many rattles and squeaks, and the hardware was prone to breaking, falling off, etc. This car was properly maintained, but began to exhibit problems with the engine/and or sensors around 90,000K miles. Even with the upgraded 2.0 liter engine, this car is very under powered, and it requires premium fuel on top of being slow. I would not recommend this model unless you want mediocre performance and reliability.

I love this car!

by from Cocoa Beach, Florida on November 7, 2007

I bought a black Mazda Protege LX a few weeks ago and i love it! It has around 70000 miles on it and still runs like a new car. I would definately recommend it to a friend.

My Baby

by from Garland,Texas on March 21, 2015

I got baby in 2006 with 63,000 mls. Really good condition out and in. Have had to replace all motor mounts (nbd), but nothing other than preventive maintenance. This is the best car I've ever owned. For a four banger she's really quick. Gas mileadge has been tricky in that plugs have to be replaced on regular intervals, use good gas. I love my "Baby".

I love it!

by from surprise,AZ on May 21, 2010

I had a 2001 mazda protege lx 5 speed and totalled it and walked out without even a scratch i then got a 2003 mazda 6 liked it but missed my protege. I now own a 2001 mazda mp3 and i love it! I would recomend this car to anyone. Not only do i love the performance but I feel very good about driving my kids around in this car.I love Mazda and will always own a Mazda.

Most reliable car I've owned

by from Spokane, WA on June 21, 2017

I've had this car for 6 months now. Nothing too bad, just the normal upkeep required for the car of its age.

Loved it!

by from on May 24, 2017

I had a 2000 Protege ES with a 5 speed. Drove this car like i was mad at it everyday and it never once left me stranded. 5th hear isn't really an overdrive and at 80mph the engine is spinning at 4000rpms. That's was the only downside for me. More then enough room in the car for four people as long as they are not linebackers, front seats were very comfortable. Wish I still had the car today, it had 198K on it when I finally sold it.

Our Expert Review: 2001 Mazda Protege