Model Details

2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews

Average based on 18 reviews

best car i have ever owned

by from verona, ny on December 15, 2011

i got this car in spetember, it has been the best car i have ever owned, i have a stick shift. it is fun to drive, sips gas. just an all around great car. for me. i am a college student adn it fulfills all my needs, it can get a little crowded, being i am 6'4" and my friends are not exacly small, but for my use it works well!

Perfect Reliability and Great Handling

by from Worcester, MA on March 30, 2009

This car is perfect for anyone that enjoys taking corners quickly but is also looking for a car that is cheap, reliable, and socially acceptable. Engine noise does become noticeable above 60 MPH, which is also the point where your highway mileage will start dipping below a generous 32 mpg. The front disc brake calipers may become rusty and need replacement if the brakes are worked on sloppily (the piston seal may become damaged.) Rear passenger often comment on how quiet the car is (since they can't hear the engine noise.) I like this car much more than the two civics I have owned previously (1989 and 1995).

Very Happy and Satisfied

by from Tehachapi, Ca on January 29, 2010

Bought my 2002 Protoge sedan new, and have been very happy ever since. A simple, 4-door, roomy vehicle with all the power features (even a moon-roof, which I use almost everyday), and purchased for a lot less than a comparable Honda Civic. The car has get up and go when you need it (a 2.0 liter motor), and gets decent fuel economy when you get off the pedal (up to approx 30 mpg). Have just shy of 200,000 miles on it, and have had no problems at all with simple regular maintenance. Will buy Mazda again, maybe the "3". Hope this was helpful!

Great Value and Reliability

by from San Francisco, CA on May 24, 2010

The ES has so many great features! Have had mine for 6+ years and 90k with very few issues. Great gas mileage too (30+ mpg)!

Still going at 200,000 miles!

by from Arizona on February 6, 2011

Bought the car new and it has been very reliable. I have a long commute and it averages 31 mpg on highway. And for a 4 cylinder, it has a lot of pep to it! This car is one that could be handed down to other family members. Truly is a GLC (great little car).

Very dependable

by from cocoa,fl. on March 25, 2009

This car never breaks down 145.000 miles new fan belts and timing belt.but radios seem to stop working . I would buy another

Awesome car

by from Beverly Hills, 90210 on August 18, 2010

Bought new and love it. I will buy another Mazda. Fits all my friends. I love the stereo and sunroof.

Great little car.

by from Virginia on January 5, 2009

I bought a new LX (manual transmission) in 2002. Have had the car for the last 7 years and have put over 120,000 miles on it. Only non-routine work has been the timing belt, which I had replaced at 70,000. Some of the interior features weren't put together well and knobs fell of the radio. All minor interior issues, but for the price, I feel this is a great car.

Best bang for the buck

by from Nashville, Tennessee on October 9, 2008

You get the Japaneese reliability without the high cost. Over 90,000 miles on this car and running strong. No it's not the largest, most comfortable car, but that's not what you are buying it for. This is a small, efficient car that has some great zip. It has 5 seats, but the back seat is not suitable for more than one adult. My second Protege and third Mazda. At 26 years old, I plan to buy many more Mazda vehicles

Good zip, but nothing special

by from Chicago on May 18, 2006

I picked the Mazda Protege instead of the Civic and Corolla because I found the accelaration much better in the Protege. It has been a workhorse for me, easily handling the 82,000 miles I put on it in the 3+ years I've owned it. It's been a great highway ride, but its transmission is a little sticky when the engine is cold.