Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 Tribute

2001 Mazda Tribute

$557 - $6,065  MSRP Range
2001 Mazda Tribute

Have You Driven the 2001 Mazda Tribute?

Unstoppable, Mazda really hit the nail on the head

by Tribute owner from on Thu Jul 08 2010

I drive a 94 Honda Civic and my family owns a 2001 Tribute. They both have 170,000 miles now and the tribute has been more reliable than my Honda! We are in West Virginia and it has been on road trips to Texas, New Orleans, and multiple trips to Florida. It takes multiple trips to the mountains for skiing every year and has gotten me out of some sticky situations on steep, slick roads and in deep snow. It is really tough for a small SUV that is designed to look sporty. At 170,000 miles, it has had literally zero problems beyond regular maintainence. If you invest in one with around 100,000, you are really getting a good deal and it has a lot left in it. This is one American-made vehicle that rivals the Japanese reputation for reliability in my opinion. Just a well-built little 4WD.

Best all around vehicle

by Bob from Hollidaysburg PA on Fri May 04 2007

I owned a 1993 Mazda 626LX Touring Sedan which I sold to a friend, it had 150,000 mies on it so that I could buy my 2001 Tribute. The Tribute, like my 626 is very reliable, never had any problems since purchased, with just routine and scheduled maintenance performed. Have use this as a daily driver, long trips, and even used it as a truck to haul a lot of stuff. This Tribute fills my requirements for a all around vehicle.

BEST SUV EVER!

by Shopaholic from Hampton on Mon Aug 13 2007

I love this truck. It is good on gas. The driving is smooth. Excellent on trips. The handling is excellent. I have had no problems. Totally pleased with my purchase. Overall....for the price and the features you couldn't ask for anything better. I looked and looked and finally decided on the Tribute and I am so so glad I purchased this truck...would highly recommend this truck to everyone.

so far the most reliable

by small suv friend from dallas, texas on Thu Jan 03 2008

i have not had any problems with the car. advice be careful where you get the oil changed because the hole where the screw goes to plug the oil in is easily striped.

Extremely Happy

by Zoom-Zoom from Millsboro, De on Thu May 13 2010

Bought this truck a year ago with 70k mi. It now has 86k and runs great. No problems with it so far, very reliable. I wish gas mileage was a little better, but otherwise a good vehicle. The 4WD definitely came in handy this winter. Bit of advice, make sure to keep transmission properly serviced.

Best car for my first purchase

by Utility driver from Indiana on Sun Sep 21 2014

I wouldn't change a thing about my purchase. She(my tribute) is amazing. I bought a 2001 mazda tribute lx v4 AWD 4x4 with 109k miles. It is amazing off roading, great in the snow, great for hauling stuff around with the Awesome space. It took me a while to realize the head rests need to come off to get all the space utilized. The only problem I have with her is because She's old. A small oil leak from numerous oil changes. And cosmetic issues like the door handles and the fabric lining on the doors. I would push everyone to get the tribute it is a close to perfect car! I recommend of you have this vehicle be gentle with the sun roof. As it gets older it needs to be oiled a lot more and it comes off track sometimes. Otherwise I am a very happy customer!!

Uses car for Off-roading

Satisfied w/ Performance

by ESTributeguy from Kansas City on Sun Jan 18 2009

Bought 4x4 ES V-6 model in 10/04 with 61,000 miles. Now has 154k on it. Had a 99 Ford Taurus and immediately enjoyed the 200Hp! Handles well and interior comfort quite good, but rear seat does not fold all the way down for cargo hauling. Now with high mileage has some issues---oil leaking into valves causing mis-fire but overall quite pleased with it. Electronic control buttons do not respond even when constantly poked---only work intermittently. No lighted radio/stereo/clock----can't see at night.

good vehicle

by nicky from panama city beach florida on Thu Nov 06 2014

I bought a 2002 used Mazda Tribute DX 5 speed manual transmission in 2004 with app. 35, 000 miles. I still own and drive it in 2014. It has been a great vehicle, but as it , as it ages, has had much needed repairs. It now has about 200,000 miles and still going. I just now experienced the driver side window will not go up so the motor is out, and my stereo system volume does not function accordingly when you want the volume to go up or down; it is hit or miss, LOL. I try to leave it as is. I have a child that is disabled and in a wheelchair. I am able to put his chair in the car without putting backseats down, but do have to disassemble somethings and if I have the back seats down I can actually put his chair in and my bicycle and/or his sand chair. I really enjoy this car and has been very good to me and my family. I LOVE manual transmission!! It keeps me more focused on the road and not trying to multi-task while driving. I have traveled in this car from all over Florida to IL many times over The only thing I would say bad about the car is taking down the back seats is difficult for one person. Other than that it is a great car!

Mazda Tribute

by schnooky bear from Castro Valley CA on Mon Jul 01 2013

Bouth this car for my Dad, so far the cars has been outstanding. He will definitely enjoy it. Car was a good buy

Loved My Car

by IsabellaMB from Cedar Rapids, Ia on Fri Oct 20 2017

I had my Mazda Tribute for the past 3 years (bought it with 166,000 miles on it) and the only reason why I don’t have it anymore is because of an accident I was in. Never had a problem with it other than with smaller things, and an Evap valve a local dealership broke after I had a recall done, so it wasn’t my cars fault. I’m still mournful over the loss of my Mazda Tribute and I was completely okay after my bad accident so safety is great too! Only bruises were left on me. I highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable SUV.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Mazda Tribute

It's easy to overlook the Mazda Tribute, a compact sport-utility vehicle that's a close cousin to the Ford Escape. In fact, one Mazda vice-president admitted, "No one was waiting for an SUV (to be) introduced by Mazda."

So why did we give our $25,475 test vehicle three stars? As we discovered, it's a pretty decent alternative to those little "cute utes" from Toyota and Honda.

She: Give me a shopping cart and a charge card and I can test any vehicle.

He: Or pantsuit, shoes, cosmetics or purse. Geez, the possibilities are endless.

She: You interrupted. I was beginning to say I took the Tribute over to Bed Bath & Beyond and decided to test its cargo capacity. It was an emergency run because No... Read More