2003 Tribute

2003 Mazda Tribute

2003 Mazda Tribute

4.2

Have You Driven the 2003 Mazda Tribute?

Own 2

by Tribute Guy from NJ on Wed Apr 07 2010

1st one is a 2001 manual 4...just keeps going and going...still haven't replaced timing belt at 120K + miles...want to keep it going - so will soon (as a precaution?) 2nd one is a 2003 V6 auto...just bought used - very quick and stable...so far, so good...gas mileage is suspect at 17 mpg overall with a combo of street and highway. Overall, Tributes do give you an SUV with a "car feel." They are SPECTACULAR in snow, but would not attempt off-roading. I live in NJ now (after Colorado), and find it to be a nice balance of vehicle after owning (in CO) a Chevy Blazer.

Owns up to the expectations!!

by Car Geek from Cleveland, MS on Sun Aug 14 2011

My Mazda Tribute LX was pruchased used with 30,000+ miles on it and has endured the test of time and numerous wreckless drivers, including myself, since 2003. Aside from the regular maintenance, the only problems I've had are the wiring in my dash board and my A/C. After 8yrs and 197,000 miles, it run smoothly, now that I am doing regular upkeep and inspections. Gas mileage is lacking but I cant complain since its still around 16mpg city and highway mileage is increasing!!

Love it!

by Zoom Zoom from Virginia on Mon Nov 14 2011

I bought my LX new when it came out in 2002. Has 125K miles on it now. I was also looking at the Escape but the Tribute was "cuter" & had a more stylish look both interior & exterior at the time. I haven't had any major issues with it all. This has been a great vehicle. This is the longest I've owned a vehicle, the most miles I've put on one and best experience I've had with one. It's a great vehicle for the size and price. It sits up high like a full size SUV, no blind spots & good room in the back seat & back for storage.

Best SUV ever

by AC from Washington Crossing, PA on Tue Aug 18 2009

I bought this car used. It had right around 100,000 miles on it. I love this car. The only problem I have with it is the trans. This is not the cars falt the person who had it before me towed a boat that was to heavy for the vehicle and damaged the trans. I put trans condtioner in it from lucus oil and had no more problems with the trans. That is a testimony to Ford and Mazda's toughness. Stil driving and loveing it. This vehicle blows away the comp for GM Honda and Toyota

Overall good vehicle

by SUVLDY from Plumas Lake on Sat Jul 23 2011

I was going to get an Escape, but the Mazda Tribute was a better price and had more features and a color I loved. Overall it's been a very good vehicle. Gas mileage not the best but much better than our Durango. Biggest beef with this vehicle is that it is noisy ride. You can hear the most of the road noise. Bought the Mazda extended warranty when we purchases the car which was refunded in full after 6 years since it was not used during the warranty period. Good value for the money.

Loved My Tribby

by mazda2003 from Lexington on Fri May 19 2017

I bought my 2003 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 used with 220,058 miles on it for $600 (needed spark plugs)and drove it until about 298,347 miles and traded it for a newer nicer one a 2005 Mazda Tribute S V6 4WD I will always own a Mazda Tribute of some kind I love them all

Mazda is a hidden treasure

by drmkachr from Calhoun, Kentucky on Thu Oct 14 2010

This SUV was a surprise to me as I now know is it the Ford Escape. Unlike many other small or mid-size SUVs, this one has a lower cost and resale value which I believe to be a good thing for the consumer. It rides good, has a roomy interior, multiple safety features and the exterior look "brand new". The only thing that made me feel somewhat negative about the entire experience was the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. All I can say is do not talk to them about anything including warranty information, price of the car, your trade in value... They will get you in the end. Arrange all your financing ahead of time, know what your car's value is and do your research. It will pay off. I am very happy with the Mazda and it meets my needs.

Love the Tribute!!

by KS_kid from Kansas on Fri Apr 30 2010

My wife and I bought the 2003 Mazda Tribute used and we love it. Plenty of room for the kids and the dogs! Drives and handles nice, good gas mpg. Many features for the price. Ours was very well taken care of and it still smelled new! Highly recommend the Tribute for any family.

I have a 2003 tribute with over 300,000 miles.

by Grannynancy from Burr Oak Michigan on Thu Aug 16 2018

My 2nd mazda. This one is a 2003 tribute with over 300,000 miles. Still on the road and trust worthy. I will probably cry when it dies. Many happy vacations with grand children and great grand. The only costly failure has been the coils. On our 5th set of tires. Everything still works. Send me a new one!!!!!.

Love this car!

by Jude from Tyler, Texas on Wed Mar 23 2011

I bought my Tribute new in '03 and it now has 111.000 miles. I have had no problems with this car and almost no maintenance at all. The only thing that I can say negative would be that it is somewhat noisy as in road noise. It rides well, handles great and I would buy another one when the time comes to trade up. This car is the perfect fit for me and gas mileage is good also.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2003 Mazda Tribute

As a kid, I remember arguing with friends about how it was possible that Superman could disguise himself by wearing glasses and a suit. How could people miss that Clark Kent looked an awful lot like the Man of Steel?

The same goes for the auto industry.

For years, automakers have been making the same car with subtle variations — making them into two different models from the same DNA.

Recently, I drove two newer models that have sprouted from other model's DNA. Here's a look at them.

Pontiac Vibe

Like the Superman villain Bizarro (who looked somewhat like Superman, but in fact was a bizarre opposite), some might consider Pontiac's Vibe, with its expressive styling, to be the Bizarro version of... Read More