2002 Mercury Cougar Consumer Reviews

4.0
Average based on 14 reviews

Worth More than a Honda

by from Toppenish on June 3, 2010

I'veowned this car now for 2 years. Ive had little to no problems with it. Mind you it is a C2 model with a 5 speed manual transmission. I had the choice of this either this or an SRT4. I made the best choice and have not regretted this decision. And the Hondas of this year would love to grow and be this car. Has excellent pick up speed, great handling, and i love the sportyness as compared to other cars i tested before i bought this one. And believe me i test drove many different cars. Hondas, Chryslers, Mistubishies, and Nissans. in my opinion cant hold a torch to this vehicle.

Nice Sports Car

by from New Jersey on June 30, 2008

I have had no problem with the car at all and it is very reliable. i would highly recommend this to anybody and its really fast.

Litter of Kittys

by from Richmond, In on November 28, 2012

This is our 4th Cougar with the latest body style, 1999-2002. 3 stick 4 cylinders. and one automatic V-6 XR7. The 4 cyl. get great gas mileage, 40 hwy and 32 combined. 6 cylinder not as good but that is not what I bought her for. Nothing to do but minor work and maintaince on all. Love my Kittys.

2002 Mercury Cougar

by from DALLAS, TX. on July 1, 2006

THIS CAR MAKES AN EXCELLANT SPORTS CAR. ITS QUICK ACCELERATION AND HANDLES GREAT AROUND TIGHT CURVE. I NOTICED THAT THE TIRES ON THIS CAR HAVE BEEN UPGRADED FROM HR RATED TO VR AND YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. IT IS ALSO A GREAT CAR FOR JUST CRUISING DOWN THE THE HIGHWAY. IT OFFERS A COMFORTABLE SMOOTH RIDE DOWN THE HIGHWAY. ITS NOT MUCH FOR A PASENGER VEHICLE THERE IS NO ROOM BEHIND THE SET FOR A PASENGER TO SET WHEN I OCCUPY THE DRIVERS SEAT.

I have a 2002 Cougar XR and love it!

by from Cincinnati, Ohio on August 4, 2006

Great car no problems as I keep up on routine maint. Very comfortable all leather electric seats. Great initial power althought I have opted to upgrade to SVT Upper Intake Manifold and Throttle Body (from 2000 SVT Contour) which made a big difference in cars performance and improved gas mileage. Great design although built on the Ford Contour and (UK) Mondeo Chasis car is very different from any other. The interior is exceptional by being user freindly and estetically pleasing. The XR includes such features as 17" Rims, Roush rear spoiler, and Roush front hood scoup which complimates the car very well. With every option that is aviliable on this car it price is very reasonable.

great Car Especially On Gas!!!

by from DALLAS, TX on June 11, 2008

The cougar is a wonderful car to own. Everybody should own one, and they are the most well rounded vehicle a person can own. Plus the ladies love a sportscar!!!

Fun and Reliable

by from on March 11, 2010

I love my cougar. It is fast and the backseat area for a 2 door is impressive. Even the truck has a ton of space. A good sporty car for the price.

Dont get the automatic

by from Omaha, NE on May 29, 2009

My only 2 complaints on this vehicle are the transmission and blind spots. The automatic transmission is complete garbage. The first trannys reverse went out at 40000. The second one blew a front seal on a 4 hour drive at 15000 on the replacement. It has never shifted right either. I bet 75 HP is lost in the tranny. Cant due much about the blind spots they are due to the spaceship looking exterior. If you want visibility by a sedan. If we got the 5 speed I dont think I would ever get rid of this car. Actually now that I have a kid, the seat in the rear is not one that falls into the ease of use category.

Very Quick CAR! Manuel is great and gets 30 MPG!!!

by from Cincinnati, OH on December 5, 2008

I was handed down this car and I absolutely enjoy it. Your initial impression is that this car would be great for a female sports car. But let me tell you its fast, reliable, great cargo storage and fantastic MPG. I'm not sure there are to many "FUN" cars that get 30 mpg.

"The Best!"

by from Florida on August 27, 2008

I owned a 2002 cougar for about five years. Unfortunately, it was recently totaled. I absolutely loved that car. I had no major problems with it. It drove well, the metalic paint always made it gleam, it also had a lot of nice features that are difficult to find in newer models. The trunk was huge and I loved the rear wiper. I am truly sad that mine could not be fixed. Although I have a new sports car, I would be tempted to buy another cougar if I could afford two cars. I would leave the new one sitting in the yard.