2008 Mariner

2008 Mercury Mariner

2008 Mercury Mariner

4.5

Have You Driven the 2008 Mercury Mariner?

nice american car

by joe from chicago illinois on Thu Apr 17 2008

rides fairly smooth for a short wheelbase suv, could use a less aggressive tire, but its pretty standard with all suv's. very roomy in back seats.....plenty cargo area. nice touch, getting rid of parking brake lever on console and putting it back on lower foot pedal, makes interior console much nicer. good gas mileage with six cylinder, regular gas. i wanted to buy an american named vehicle, and mercury came through just fine.

Love it

by Happy first time Mercury owner from Olathe,KS on Wed Mar 26 2008

I traded in my Expedition (which I bought new in 2000 and loved) I needed better gas mileage and I found it. It's hard to get used to the smaller size but it's fun to drive and I am much happier now that I am paying less than half of what i use to in gas!I Love my little car!

I LOVE my Mariner!!!

by JD from Wichita, KS on Mon Feb 16 2009

I had read that the Mariner/Escape have been rated very reliable for small SUV's and so far that had been right. I love the features on my '08 Mariner Premier, including the backup sensors, 6 disc CD changer, leather/suede seats, dual climate control, etc. I wish Mercury would put a different type of tire on this vehicle, because it does seem like there is a lot of tire noise at highway speeds. I learned to get used to it. There is lots of room in the backseats and its great to put my 2 giant dogs in the back because the seats fold flat, making a large cargo space. Gas mileage is very good for a V6 SUV. I drove a few hundred miles of highway and was getting almost 26 mpg. Around town I tend to drive pretty hard and I average about 20mpg.

Wonderful Car! Get One!

by MarinerLover from Cumberland, MD on Mon Nov 07 2016

Premier V6 4x4. Got this vehicle used in May 2013 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 104,000 and no problems with it at all! The V6 engine offers great power in the city and good enough on the highway, and the 4WD system works well. Has a great list of features and all of the optional features have stood the test of time. The exterior paint quality is iffy, and the brakes are a little mushy. The seats are also showing their ages. Other than these minor flaws, the power train and electrical system are extremely reliable. I recommend this car to my friends who are looking for one. Great mix of everything! (Gets 21 mpg with V6)

Love it!!

by Mother of 2 from Ohio on Thu Apr 03 2008

I was a little concerned about buying this vehichle based on another review I read about the vehicle being very noisy on the highway. I test drove it again, on the interstate and noticed no noise problems. I even drove with the moonroof open and actually thought it was a lot quieter than other vehicles I have had. It is a great family vehicle. With a 2 1/2 year old and one on the way we needed the extra space. We were debating between the Ford Escape and the Mercury Mariner and decided on the Mariner because we liked the look better and the price for the features. Definitely worth looking into, I have no regrets!

Love Mary (Our Mariner)

by R&T from Central KS on Thu Mar 05 2015

Live in the country on dirt (not gravel) roads. Our AWD Mariner with the V6 has excellent handling and traction in all weather. Gets acceptable gas mileage. Interior quiet and roomy. The sunroof has low wind noise and doesn't leak. The seats are comfortable and the ride is smooth. Love the way the back seats fold down to make a big cargo bay. Would prefer it had Sync, that the gas tank would be expanded to a 500 mile cruising range, and that there was less chrome trim on the dash which can reflect sunlight into your eyes. All in all, very satisfied with this vehicle.

Overlooked by many, but try one first

by Mongo from Tacoma, WA on Mon Aug 27 2007

My 2008 Mariner Premier has style, quality, features, quiet ride. I tried to find a good reason to buy an import, but Merc had an overall solid feel, a better ride and more features. Not perfect but a really fine choice in compact SUV category. Worth trying out. JD Power rates Mercury higher initial quality than most other makes.

Wonderful Car! Get One!

by MarinerLover from Cumberland, MD on Mon Nov 07 2016

Love it...

by jo from Vernal. Utah on Wed Sep 04 2013

First new car I've ever bought. I love it, I get so many compliments on it. Nice looking, comfort, and sporty.

Pretty nice vehicle

by Sarab from Milan, MI on Thu Apr 19 2018

This car has met all of my needs. Nice exterior, reliable, and drives pretty well. I only wish that there were cup holders in the rear.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2008 Mercury Mariner

The restyled Mercury Mariner is like a typical suburban subdivision home: It looks OK on the outside, and the price tag for a well-equipped model makes its spotty interior go down a bit easier. It doesn't stand out among its peers, but neither does it have any deal-breaking drawbacks. I can't find any compelling reason not to give the Mariner an endorsement, but I can't bring myself to do so enthusiastically. Simply put, if you're looking for an inexpensive SUV, the Mariner gets the job done — but that's it.

The five-seat Mariner comes in base and Premier trim levels (see a side-by-side comparison with the 2007 model). Base models have a four-cylinder or a V-6, while Premier versions employ only... Read More