1997 Tracer

3.8 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

It is what it is. And that's pretty good

by Greg from Spokane WA. on January 14, 2009

Remember that im talking about a 4cdr/2.0ltr motor in this review. Ive owned this car for 11/mo and got it with 150k miles. The interior is very basic and not much for personal convienience (ie. cup holders/center console) but for functional convienience all the buttons, knobs and dials are in good spots and easy to learn. I am 6'5" and 250+ lbs and other than having to duck quite a bit to get in I have PLENTY of room for my head, legs and body. The back seat is snug for me but for average size people it is ok for short trips. It has quite a stiff suspention so it rides a litle rough but thats a minor trade off for the added handling and hauling capasity. From a stop it has a surpising amount of get up go and accelerates up to 70mph easily on the flat. There is not much passing power at 70+ mph, oh well. The car will still accel up a grade but not nearly as fast. I am getting 23/city 29/highway with only a 12.4/gal tank so you still have to fill up more than most econ. cars. I have only done rutine maint. since ive had it and no major repairs. It runs like a champ On a whole its been a great car for the price (under $2000)and would highly recomend it for a kids first or a family run around car.

Great car, until the head gasket blew again.

by JS from Indiana on June 17, 2010

I would have given 5 stars for reliability if not for the head gasket having given out twice. I got my car in 2003 with 64k on it. It has been good to me. I replaced the front suspension and the head gasket three years ago. Sadly now at 155k the head gasket need to be replaced again and the main cylinder is cracked... so it is about time for me to let her go. It was a great car that got me through the fuel crisis with its excellent fuel economy, never once left me on the roadside due to break down, and always was ready to take me wherever I wanted or needed to go.

Great car and I miss it.

by brokenleg from Illinois on September 26, 2009

I had the wagon, and it was not running when I got it, I fixed it, and it ran very well. I liked the car very much, and it got 30MPG.... only two things I replaced on it was the radiator, and the fuel pump. I drove it for exactly one year. I had a bad accident, and the car was totalled. it had 248,000 miles on it. I would like to buy another one, but they are hard to find.

Can't get a better car for the price

by 97TracerMD on June 4, 2018

I got this car dirt cheap, did a few minor maintenance tasks, and it has been a fantastic vehicle. I can top 40 mpg if I leave the A/C off on a highway trip, and I effortlessly get 35 mpg routinely. I'm just really impressed by this little car.

Our Expert Review: 1997 Mercury Tracer