2012 Cooper S

2012 MINI Cooper S

2012 MINI Cooper S

5 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2012 MINI Cooper S?

Like a Streetable go-Kart

by Mini Lover from Los Angeles, CA on Tue Sep 11 2012

This car makes me smile just sitting in it! As you press the accelerator the smiles increase almost more than the miles per gallon! It handles the curves, the stero rocks and it is jusrt plain fun! Next best thing is Speedzone!

2012 Mini Cooper S 6 Speed Manual

by Qazulight from Fargo ND on Mon Jun 16 2014

I bought a Red Mini Cooper S. I live in Fargo North Dakota, I flew down to Dallas to pick it up, and I drove it back. This is about a 1200 mile trip. I stand almost 6 foot and weigh 225 pounds. (I KNOW, I Know, I am already on diet. ) By the time I got back to Fargo I was ready to get out of the car, so ready that I could have spent another day on the road, but chose not too. However, I did not buy the car for road trips, I bought it for zipping around town. It does that well. The car is fun to drive, dangerously fast and comfortable for even a one hour road trip. I would have no problem taking it on even a two hour trip occasionally. Even with a bike rack on the top of the car, the wind noise is not high, and even with the aggressive tires the road noise is not that high. I found my 2009 Vibe GT to be as or maybe more noisy than the Mini. I will note, that the S model with the 6 speed manual is a powerful car, and working the gears can be a little bit of a chore on the left leg as the clutch is a little stiff; this is as it would need to be to handle the power. The car had 19,000 miles on it when I bought it. It has on warranty issue that needs to be addressed, the little flip up mirrors in the sun visors are broken. Other than that everything is working properly. I averaged about 32 miles per gallon on the road trip with speeds up around 75 miles per hour. In town, I am getting close to 30 miles per gallon, maybe better, I have not been watching it closely. I suspect the highway mileage would be better without the bike rack, but this is of no concern to me so I will leave it in place. I found that programming the radio was not as intuitive as some others, but it is coming along. Did I mention that the car is scary fast? If I let it rev, without hitting the sport button, and drop into second and let it run, the traction control kicks in to keep the tires from spinning and before I can get off the gas the car is doing 50. This is quick, real quick. In sixth gear, just mashing and holding the cruise accelerate button will zip the car from 70 to 85 before you realize it. Personally I could have gotten a Scion XB for the same money, and would probably gotten a car that would be more trouble free, and more comfortable, but who wants to make payments on an XB?

Lovin My Mini

by Ms Lady from Elgin, IL on Mon Apr 16 2012

I did a lot of investigation and read tons of reviews about the Mini Cooper. So when I went to test drive it..I thought I knew what to expect..Was I wrong..This car exceeded ALL of my expectations. I purchased a 2012 Mini Cooper S Avenue (Soda Package), not only is this car unique in style, color, but it performs like nothing I've driven before. I was very impressed with how comfortable this car is, I'm 5'5" and have more room to spare. This car handles the road remarkably. Just the overall driving experience was shocking..I LOVE IT! I own a BMW X5, so this was my second car..so for me it was a way to get my fun, gas saving car, while NOT losing style and performance. If you are considering a Mini Cooper S, my recommendation get out there and test drive one..Trust me..You will be NOT be dissappointment..oh..and please don't forget about the Safety Ratings of this car. My opinion about car purchases are..You get what you pay for..and I definitely feel like I got my money's worth and more. ALSO..I read about the rubber molding on some Coopers fading..Please..please try WOW Black..this stuff WORKS..I've been using it on my 09 BMW X5 and plan to use it on my Cooper if needed. It keeps it looking new..and try Bayes Waterless Detailing Solution on your BMW and Cooper..looks amazing..Good Mini Cooper hunting!!

The World's Best Small Sports Car

by Happy from Durham NC on Thu Mar 19 2015

I just bought this car. It is my second MINI. The difference between the 2006, which I love, and 2012 is startling, from the increased power to all the engineering touches on the interior. You'll be flying down the road and look down at the speedometer, which says 90, and you won't believe it. But believe it. This thing flies. You really have to be careful. The seats are a little more comfortable and adjustable than in prior years, and the interior noise is better. If you're like me, you compared against the Fiat 500. Check all the side by side comparisons. MINI wins most every review.

Heads will turn

by car fox from Miami, Florida on Thu Feb 14 2013

I have the 2012 roadster S (2-seater convertible). It is truly a head-turner. My husband has had Mercs, Jags, Porche's and Audi's and yet THIS is the car that everyone stops to compliment. It is very comfortable to sit in and has a surprising amount of room, considering the size. It is amazingly peppy and one touch of the gas pedal proves that this little baby has both looks and some bite. As for handling, you will feel almost every bump in the road, although this is common in most sports cars. For straight-line driving, it t hugs the roads. However, you do have to be a little more careful with turns as it tends to pull in the opposite direction if you take the turn too quickly. I don't have the technology package, so I cannot comment on the nav system. The "disco lights" feature, which I believe is standard, is an interesting concept although the lights are not bright enough to really make much of an impact. However, your friends will think it is cool and that's pretty much all that matters. Only complaints are: 1) It definitely needs to have a backup mirror or sensor as a standard feature, as visibility is almost zero in the back and 2) while adorably quirky, the interior materials - especially on the doors - could be a bit more refined and less "plastic" looking and Overall, great little car. Even the most die-hard car enthusiast will probably fall in love with it. Just don't go breaking a lot of traffic laws because everyone will be able to easily identify you on the road if you're driving one of these.

mini Cooper WOW....X Marine Panama Jack.

by Panama Jack from Florida on Tue Dec 30 2014

I own the 2012 Mini Cooper S convertable,I also own the 2012 Mini Cooper S hard top with sunroof of course.I truly have a hard time trying to figure out which one to drive,both are stick sift cars..What ever you do do not own a automatic,no fun,unless your a women..They are so fast and nimble.You can peel out in the first three gears.Wow what a blast to drive.You push the sport button and away you go.If you buy one do what I did.Buy the sport package,my convertable is the sport package,everything is updated,sterio,so on.My hard top is the perimium package,pretty much the same as sport package.You will not go wrong.....

Super Fun!

by BellaStrega from South Carolina on Fri Mar 22 2013

Short and sweet.....I have the Mini S Coupe and it is a blast to drive. So fast. I call it my cartoon car..like being in a cartoon, so tiny! But tons of room inside. People are amazed at the leg room. Love my Mini!

2012 MINI Cooper S Small Car, Big Attitude

by JoeyLiv from on Wed Apr 26 2017

The 2012 Mini Cooper S is one of those cars that does so many things well it can be hard to categorize. Is the Cooper hatchback an affordable economy car that slowly sips fuel or is it a sports car that places performance and agility above all else? The short answer is yes to both. It's the Cooper S that strikes the best balance between comfort and performance. It has a more powerful turbocharged engine than the base model, has tighter suspension, sport seats and fog lights. It all adds up to a little car that's a blast to drive hard but comfortable enough for everyday use. One thing that makes the Cooper S feel so responsive is the light, quick steering. The steering effort and feedback make the Cooper S easy to guide through twists and turns on your favorite back road. Also, the manual transmission is joy to shift, as the gates are well defined and precise. The shifter communicates a level of precision that makes the car feel more expensive than it really is and helps the driver feel more connected to the car. Also, the pedals are well-placed, the brakes are especially responsive and the way the clutch engages on manual transmission cars is perfect ? there's just enough travel and the take up point is works well for spirited driving. There's even a bit of an exhaust note too, something that adds a little extra edge to the overall Cooper S experience.

Cutiest car I've ever owned

by Sassy Lola from Pittsburgh, PA on Sat Sep 01 2012

I just love this little car. She thinks she is a sports car (Yes it's a girl!). Lots of pep and speed. Just fun to drive.

Convertible

by RM from boston on Tue Dec 20 2011

Fun car to drive with great performance and handling. Mileage in the city is mid 30's and in the highway I am getting in the upper 30's. The back seat leg room is very small.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2012 MINI Cooper S

The 2012 Mini Cooper S coupe is a fun grown-up toy for people with sizable piggy banks and a notable lack of claustrophobia.

The coupe is smooth and easy to drive — once you get past the initial anxiety of placing yourself inside what feels like an aquanaut dive helmet at a cheap Cancun resort.

Before the debut of this model and the Mini Cooper Roadster, both of which are new for 2012, all Minis have had backseats, some of which are even usable. The little coupe and Roadster do, in fact, have only two seats, so they're best saved for singletons or families looking for a fun car for when the little ones are in school or home with a sitter.

The coupe and Roadster are offshoots of the regular Mini... Read More