4.3
Average based on 13 reviews

My dream car!

by from Baltimore, MD on February 22, 2013

I've always loved the old british mini's and when the Countryman came out, I thought it was too good to be true! Since we had a baby, I didn't thing a standard cooper would be big enough, but the Countryman is perfect and SEXY! First of all, people who buy automatic transmission cars should not buy a mini. They are meant to be performance vehicles and they are definitely WAY more fun to drive with a manual transmission! I am a woman and even I know its a travesty to opt for a transmission when buying a motor like this! My only two negatives are relatively minor things: the cup holders are in a bad spot where you often can't comfortably fit a drink (especially when driving manual) and the visors are two small to really be helpful in blocking the sun if its coming from the side. Other than that - this car is the best!! And you would not believe how many strangers come up to me and ask about it all the time! If you want average, go get a camry. If you want something you will LOVE driving, get a MINI!

Nice Car but Unreliable

by from Florida on July 24, 2013

Car was great during 1rst year of ownership and the styling is quite attractive. Once my teenage daughter got a hold of it and racked on miles, frequent visits to the dealer started to happen. I bought the Countryman S in Feb of 2011. So far this year 2013, it has been in the shop 3 times for warranty work, and once for service. Considering the dealer is about 50 minute drive from my home or business, I am considering to unload this vehicle due to reliability issues. I own 4 other vehicles and none give me problems like this Mini has. I was suspicious of the French engine that is installed in these Minis, made by Peugot & BMW. The Peugot engines are not known for building quality product. If you like frequent visits to the dealer and wasting your time, then this is the car for you.

Functional and Fun

by from Colorado on February 1, 2012

I recently acquired a previously owned 2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S. I was looking for a fun, moderately priced, well outfitted vehicle that would perform well in the mountains and in inclement weather. I own a couple of BMWs and was ready to "branch out" to a MINI Cooper. I wanted an all wheel drive vehicle that I could get in and out of without being a contortionist. The Countryman S fit the bill. Interestingly during the course of my search, there were only 3 vehicles in the state of Colorado within the classification I was looking for. Using Cars.com to locate suitable examples made my search much easier and negotiating a price faster. I am entirely satisfied with the vehicle I purcased, the purchase price and the acquisition process.

MINI 4ever

by from Md on January 2, 2012

The best AWD around, not too small not too big its just right. You will not stop smiling. I hoe they make this car for a long time to come!

a fun car

by from Charlotte, NC on September 26, 2013

A SUV with sports car performance. Can take 2 golf bags, 2 bowling ball bags, lot of clothes and still have room. Excellent acceleration when overtaking. Easily take 2 kayaks on the roof. We enjoy the drive each time to Savannah.

Blast to drive

by from Miami, Fl on October 21, 2013

Went from an AUDI A4 2.8 and find more punch out of the turbo 1.6 liter engine. It is also more responsive than most european cars. Love driving it.

Great car with many options

by from Denver, CO on June 24, 2011

1) If you are going to buy the car make sure to try the standard and upgraded seats. I think people with the standard seats are the ones saying it's uncomfortable to sit in, I have cloth/leather seats and they are great. 2) The AWD works really well, even though it's not full time. 3) I find the car way easier to get in and out of than the standard MINI. 4) MINI Connected with the backup sensor option gives you a really cool backing up display showing where things are behind you, great if you have small kids. Basically, I am really enjoying this car and think it's the perfect mid ground of size between larger SUV's and compacts. If you are thinking to buy do some research beforehand as there are a LOT of possible options for any MINI!

Countryman is the best Mini I have owned

by from Scottsdale, AZ on January 4, 2011

I have had a Cooper, Cooper S Conv. and now the Countryman. The ride is luxurious, it is fun to drive and fits the whole family. Way to go Mini!!!

Car rides like a Jeep

by from Texas on August 1, 2011

-Stationary Cup Holder location (front)-too small for all but exact fitting cups. Spring loaded holders tear styrofoam cups. -Removable cup holders-too wide externally to fit in front rail. Emergency Brake cant fully engage. -Cell phone holder not real world pratical. Opt for different options- don’t get the cup holder package-money wasted, aftermarket cheaper, better. -Sun visors are too small and don't cover enough of side window. Are not adjustable to slide, like in a Volkswagon or Kia. -AC vents sit back in hole and when turned down to cool body, only hits upper chest and not the body. -Window controls are awkward and have to take eye off road to see which ones control which window. -Rear view mirror hangs lower than expected and not adjustable (move back up against glass) and blocks traffic light view- have to move my head to look around rearview. Plastic housing is too wide. I removed to increase view-helps some. -Glove box is square box and everything falls out when open unless its contents are completely flat. Dealer options include shelves, but takes up lots of space. AC in glove box serves no real purpose. -Difficult viewing out rear window with rear head rest. Dealer option is rear sensor-no camera, add another $1,000k -Rear seats do not fold flat and have to adjust front seats forward. Awkward method to engage. Have to reach into vehicle and pull strap from inside -Poor interior night time lighting in trunk. -RIDE: Very Choppy. Dont be fooled by salesman about performance. My Kia Rio had a smoother ride. Lots of pings, loudly, over small potholes and rough road. Lots and lots of road noise heard under the vehicle in the back seats while I was driving. Sounds like a tin can. -TRANSMISSION (Automatic) : There is a about a 1.5 second delay from complete stop to start if you try to jack-rabbit the gas pedal when, for example, pulling out into traffic or trying to make a quick turn from oncoming traffic. MUST have a rolling start in this situation. Tester Vehicle from lot has been broken in 10k miles. Mine new and still problem with delay at 3k(2 months). Test drive in stop and go traffic NOT just on the highway!!! I drive with the DSC (traction control) off, per salesmans’ suggestion, to increase responsiveness of transmission. Helps some but now a safety concern. -Next the car transitions between gears very rough when driving in downtown traffic that makes it feel like you’re in a stick shift. Don't be surprised if you think you’re getting motion sickness because until you get used to the vehicle, thats what happens. -Backing up, there is also a delay, almost like the vehicle is thinking before the transmission is engaged. -Side mirrors are position too low on the doors. They need to move up about an inch in next model. -City/Highway driving after 3000 miles is about 22 MPG. Highway driving is about 27 MPG. Far below what the sticker says. -Insurance rate will most like go up because parts are VERY expensive, per State Farm. -Not made for towing anything at all or worth the $600 bike rack option on the rear. Bike Roof rack decreases mileage significantly -Radio features are not touch screen but have to use a mouse-like dial. Takes some getting used to and still not all that great. -Sun roof has no panel to close off light from coming in just the screen. In hot sun car gets hot because it never covers completely. Don’t park in sun with moon roof or prepare to bake. Takes long time to cool down car. -Shifter panels on steering wheel are awkward. -Not enough compartment space in front or rear to hold stuff. -Rear brake lights lowly dimmed during the day. Hard to see brake lights if sun light is hitting them until you are up close. -No lock on glove box. -No beep on security door lock with remote, just flashing parking lights. -Opening door from inside, you have to pull twice. -Plastic on bumper really soft plastic. you can push your fingernail into plastic and make a mark. Overall-Definitely over priced. Try leasing, not buying. Opt for the 48 month lease if you can for lower payments if must have. 1st generation model has room for lots of refinement.

ALL4

by from Maryland on June 29, 2011

Fun car, great for in the city. Averaging over 26 miles per gallon in heavy traffice in a AWD, takes some getting us to but this is only because its not of the norm. Very good Stereo Harmon Kardon, good Climate control, very peppy engine and feels bigger than it is. Has lot of hidden clever features! The availablity is limited so if you find one you better buy it because it will be gone when you go back.