Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2016 Lancer

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer

4.4

Have You Driven the 2016 Mitsubishi Lancer?

Excellent Car in Need of a Redesign

by Corey from Chicago, IL on Wed Apr 19 2017

Let me start by saying that this car is actually a very good one. I got mine for around $20,000 (after tax), and I got the bare bones model, yet it came standard with some things that are unheard of as coming standard, like LED DRL's, foglights, Bluetooth, voice controls, alloy wheels, a digital full-color information screen, heated mirrors, and automatic climate control. The only thing I missed out on is a standard touch screen, which was made standard the following model year, but at least I got a 2016 and not a 2015, because the people who bought that model year new should be pretty upset, because most, or possibly all, of the features that came standard with my car were implemented starting with the 2016 model year, which also included a mild yet surprisingly attractive facelift. I'm not unaware of the fact that the reason my car came with so many standard features is to compete with other new compact cars, none of which are as architecturally old as the Lancer, but that doesn't change the fact that it was an undeniable value. One of the things I hate about buying the cheapest version of a compact is steel wheels. I find them unacceptable, so the fact that I was able to find a brand new compact car that came standard with alloy wheels in addition to very sporty looks was great. The things I dislike start with, of course, the fact that it's a 2016 and most people can't tell because the design has remained essentially unchanged since it was released way back for the 2008 model year. I also don't like the lack of a telescoping steering wheel (a feature most likely missing due to the age of the car's underpinnings). Other than that, I would have liked to have a touch screen, but the lack of one is not totally unheard of yet in the segment. Also, because the standard radio faceplate is the exact same size as the touchscreen faceplate, I just bought one online, and I'm waiting to have it installed, so it's an easy fix. Only costed $150 for the unit, practically new. The things I most admire about this car are the inexplicably comfortable seats, surprisingly smooth ride, and the fact that it feels very quick, despite only having 148 horsepower. Another thing that was updated for the 2016 model year was the CVT. This is? the first car I've owned with a CVT, but after recently riding in my friend's mom's car, a 2013 Nissan Murano, which also has a CVT, and hearing how it drones like crazy, I can admire how much more refined my CVT is than probably most of them out there. The only real issue I've had after a year and about 25,000 miles is a tail light going out, and I see a lot of Lancers with tail lights out, so I'm guessing it's a common issue, but no big deal. Only costed about $30 for parts and labor at the dealership, and I know many people can do it themselves. Just as a side note?, model year 2017 will be the last for the Lancer, most likely due to the crossover and SUV boom.

Great vehicle

by ZMAN from Maryland on Wed Apr 27 2016

This is my 3rd Lancer..usually get the ES model but went for the GT this time, The CVT transmission is alot better in this model and rides great. Has alot of features already included...so I am only tinting the windows and adding HID low beam lights...just my preference. My other Lancers had no issues at all. Just routine maintenance..I always used the full synthetic oil ...only brake pads and tires..along with the routine mainteance....Always loved the look...really love the product...lower cost than "bigger" name companies but love it. The GT comes standard with alot..leather, spoiler, fog lights, color screen, bluetooth, rain sensing wipers..climate control.....on and on...check it out..always say no..but wont be disappointed :-)

Beautiful car

by MelissaC from Hellertown, PA on Mon Jul 24 2017

This was such an amazing car to drive. It was smooth and easy to handle. Beautiful inside and out. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

A Bad Decision

by Sporty Car Guy 131 from Bethlehem, PA on Thu Aug 11 2016

I was excited to purchase the Lancer because it offered a sporty styling with AWC at a reasonable price. After owning a 2016 Lancer SEL for a little over a week, I hate the car. Driver ergonomics are deplorable: - Leather seats that are uncomfortable (I feel like I've been sitting on a metal folding chair after a 20-30 minute drive. Seating side support is almost non-existent. - A dead pedal foot rest gives no room to stretch out my left leg. The only way to extend my left leg is to put my foot under the brake pedal - not a safe thing to do - or keep my leg bent in a very unnatural position. The alternative is to move the seat back which then leads to over extending to reach the steering wheel. - Move the seat forward, and the center console arm rest no longer exists. - Without a telescoping steering wheel, arms must be almost straight to reach the wheel. (Note: I am an average size, 5'9" male driver) - The clock is so tiny and so far away from the driver, it can barely be seen. Put on polarized sunglasses and the display screen for the clock, back-up camera, and entertainment system become almost impossible to see in daylight. - Move the tilt steering wheel down, and it covers a good part of the speedometer. - A tiny collection of icons between the tach and speedometer is busy and difficult to decipher at a quick glance. The fact that the outside temperature is part of this tiny display clutters the display and is not convenient for any passengers to view. - The self-dimming mirror is a joke. Street lights "trick" the sensors into thinking it's daylight and the result is blinding glare from the rear view mirror. - The sunvisors are extremely flimsy. They seem to be nothing more that plastic covered card board. And there is no extender on the visors for when the sun hits at just that annoying "over the shoulder" angle through the side window. - Significant lack of storage space and small cup holders are major inconveniences. - Leather seats and steering wheel are made of a rough texture leather - not supple or smooth. - At highway speeds, road noise is quite loud. - Headlights also seem dim compared to my previous two cars. Added to these horrible ergonomics, my car features a "thump" in the trunk when going over some bumps. The car was "delivered" with 17 miles on the odometer - dirty on the inside and outside, including pine sap blobs that ate through the clear coat. The dealer's fix was to have the finish "wet sanded". I am so sorry that I purchased this vehicle.

Does not recommend this car!!

2016 Mitsubishi Lancer ES

by Schienbein21 from Regina, SK on Wed Aug 02 2017

This car was purchased at an outstanding value. The car is comfortable and fuel efficient. The car is practical, but does not sacrifice style.

Mitsu awd killing the mpg

by rural driver from Chicagoland on Wed Jul 19 2017

I love my mitsu! After 9 months this car has proven itself. Snow, ice, water covered roadways, no problem. I hit water accross the road and "Red" stays on track! I purchased new with a B2B wrap 7/100000 mi warranty for 17.5k. How can you beat that? It won't win any drag races but is smoooth and nimble at 100+mph (don't tell my wife).

Try real reliable car.

by Lancer fan from Ga on Mon Apr 30 2018

I think the best option of quality to price. Modern style, all you need to have city car for competetive price comparing with big cars.

Not happy.

by Fmcwilliams from Denver, Co on Sat Sep 03 2016

I have had 3 Mitsubishi Brand vehicles all 3 have had different problems, that were either caused by the Dealerships service depart or not fixed at all. This being my third Mitsubishi- second Lancer- I was forced into this one. Long story short. The Transmission sucks, the drive is nice- after you replace the Yokohoma tires- and the back up camera shake/ has distortions. I can't even use my camera if the interior of the car gets above 90 degrees. Took it to two different dealerships to be told nothing is wrong. I have a brand new car I can't even use the camera in. If you have one I would suggest contacting Mitsubishi if you see your camera shaking. They probably wont do anything about it until enough people complain. I honestly think its an connector, a simple fix.

Does not recommend this car!!

Sporty and reliable

by Nuggets from Calgary Alberta on Wed May 31 2017

This car is very sporty and has everything you want in an affordable great looking car. Interior is very good and the car has amazing handling. Parking is a breeze and you can get in and out of parking lots with ease. The Lancer is great on gas and has very good acceleration. Very Smooth on the highway and in the city. The car has everything you need for looking sporty to sounding awesome and to very comfortable. You will defiantly get a few looks from people driving this car. The truck space is good you can also good the back seats down to have a bit more truck space. Overall a great car.

Great car for the money.

by NYDaley from Fishkill, NY on Mon May 22 2017

Great overall vehicle, especially for the money. Took advantage of valuable rebates from the manufacturer. Aside from a needed interior update, gas mileage isn't that great for a 4 cylinder car. However, it handles well, has a good look and has a great selectable all-wheel-drive system.

1 2

Our Take on the 2016 Mitsubishi Lancer

The Verdict: The 2016 Mitsubishi Lancer offers a comfortable ride and optional all-wheel drive, but its sedate driving experience and class-trailing technology drag it down.

Versus the competition: Compact cars were once a barebones offering that provided a way for people to buy a new car rather than a used one. Today, compact cars offer a wider variety of amenities — even a luxury experience — that can belie their small size. The Mitsubishi Lancer is a throwback to earlier compact cars; it lacks the variety and sophistication of features found in the rest of the class — notably in the multimedia department. Rather than being barebones alternatives to used cars, most of... Read More