1998 Altima

1998 Nissan Altima

$21 - $3,669  MSRP Range
1998 Nissan Altima

3.9

Have you driven the 1998 Nissan Altima?

the best car i ever had

by mick from Richmond, VA on Tue Mar 18 2008

i bought this car with 20 miles on it and now i have 243000 and this car has costed me nothing. the only money in put in this car was for regular matinence. This car is still runnig very good.

Great Car for the Money

by Student Commuter from San Francisco Bay Area, CA on Sat Jul 24 2010

Perfect car for a commuter who does need anything fancy. There is plenty of space - I regularly transported my bike by lowering the back seat. The exterior is not the sexiest but the car worked without a hassle for me.

Best money I ever spend in a car

by Searey from Atalanta , GA. on Mon Oct 28 2013

I bought my 1998 Altima as a second car for my family when it was new , the car still running strong with over 190K miles!!! Everyone in my family from my Dad to my Daughter have driven this car for periods of times over the years and nothing mayor have ever happen to it , even the air conditioning works like new !!! If you are looking for a reliable car with low maintenance this's the car!!

Very Reliable

by Altauon from Palmdale, CA on Wed Jun 06 2012

I brought this car used in 2000 from a Nissan certified Dealer with 60000. No problems till I hit the 200000 mileage mark the the engine which needed to be replaced. It now has a 1999 low mileage engine in it and again is running like a new car. Note replacement parts are really low price for this vehicle gotta love it!

Still runs smoothly, quietly, looks awesome...

by I heart my Altima from Murfreesboro, TN on Sun Nov 04 2012

I bought my '01 Altima in '06 with 63,000 miles on it. It now has 170k miles and runs *beautifully*. I've had standard maintenance done to it - other than that I've had to replace the battery and radiator - no other mechanical failures! I cannot believe that my 11-year-old-car still delivers the way this one does. WAY TO GO Nissan - you hit it out of the park when you designed the 98-01 year model Altimas.

Excellent Dependable Economy Car

by Nick from Cranston, RI on Sat Jul 21 2012

I bought my '98 GXE in 2004 with 50k miles, and it has been great every single mile. I now have 160k miles. The car drives great in the rain and snow. The car is comfortable, economical, and simple to repair. I've had only minor repairs done on the car. Over the 8 years, so far I've had to have the following work done: -Replaced the radiator, which had a crack at the plastic portion. $175, done at a local shop. -Resealed the power steering pump, which had a small leak. $5. done myself. -Replaced the windshield wiper motor. $40, done myself. -Replaced the blower motor resistor because the heater/AC only worked on HI or OFF. $37, done myself. -Replaced both front lower control arms after getting a knocking when braking/accelerating. $300 each, done at a local shop. -Replaced a CV half shaft, $200, done at local shop. Other than the above repairs, the rest has been oil changes, coolant changes, transmission fluid changes, filters, brakes, and tires. I haven't even had to replace the battery yet... It's the original Nissan battery that came with the car when I bought it. The bad control arms are probably due more to the pothole-laden roads here in the Northeast than poor workmanship. The engine (valve train) is a bit noisy when I first start it up on cold winter mornings, but after about 5 seconds of running, the lifters quiet right down. The car has good pickup for a 4-cylinder with an automatic, rides well on our harsh roads, and the interior is simple and well-designed. The white paint is excellent, and the body and undercarriage has absolutely no rust. I hope to keep the car until I get to at least 200,000 miles.

nice car when it runs

by nealsetter from merrimack NH on Mon Jun 28 2010

Ran into issues had to replace alternator and battery. Now back in shop runs hard. had 95000 miles .Bought in the end of FEB 2010

Poor Customer Service

by Advertised car from UK on Mon Mar 05 2012

I rang from the UK to ask about the advertised. The dealer told me he couldn't help because Iam not in the US and he cut off the phone. I rang again to explain to the dealer that that shouldn't be a problem because I ve relatives who could come and pay for the car. The dealer insult me badly on phone and he said he doesn't care that the car is just $1500 and not Fifteen thousand Dolars. I cautioned him that he shouldn't talk to a customer like that way. He said, Iam stupid and he said "I should kiss his a"se".

Does not recommend this car!!

My First Car

by Jonathan J. from on Fri Mar 17 2017

This car is simply one of the most reliable cars of its time. I had this car for 19 years before I had gotten into in accident and it got totaled. I was driving back from the car wash and I am the kind of person who likes to drive so I went the long way and someone didn't wait for me to go through the intersection and turned in front of me and I had T-Boned them. Otherwise this car was very reliable, cheap parts, and easy to take care of. The transmission had lasted me the whole length of the cars life, as well as the engine. The car is not the most comfortable or the fastest but, it will get from Point A to B. I love and miss this car very much.

Safe & Reliable

by Jklap09hpe from West Chester, PA on Sat Jun 17 2017

Great beginner car for high school and college students. Safe, reliable and easy to get parts for repairs.

1 2

Our Take on the 1998 Nissan Altima

Nissan's 1998 pitch of "Enjoy The Ride" comes to the forefront with its redesigned 1998 Altima.

As a second generation sedan, Nissan has applied all the knowledge and science learned in the last five years to produce an automobile that achieves goals of quality, performance, comfort and convenience.

The first generation Altima entered the highly competitive mid-sized sedan category in 1993, and Nissan has been building on the car's acceptance ever since.

The '98 four-door has been an evolutionary development of the original concept rather than a revolutionary one. Built in Smyrna, Tenn., on a refined version of the original platform, the same wheelbase has been maintained but its size... Read More