2002 Altima

3.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Very Reliable Car

by Madonna33 from Iowa on June 24, 2010

I bought this car used in 2006, with 84,500 miles, now it has 298,500 miles, the car doesnt burn any oil, has never broken down, and from the research ive done, i have not had the oil motor cat issue. The key word is maintance and im very strict, this car is driven , I plan to drive it to the 500k mark and retire her. I can trust it going on long distances. pretty much all ive done while ive owned this car was change the oil and routine maintance. It doesnt handle any worse than any used car ive owned

Nice running comfortable car.

by bobss396 from Long Island, NY on June 26, 2008

I have the 2002 2.5S which I got with 70k miles on it. I wasn't sure of the 2.5 engine, but it has lots of power when I need it. The interior is laid out nice, instruments easy to read. The radio controls are on the steering wheel. The trip function also is handy and gives the latest MPG figures. The trunk is big, rear seats fold down to carry bigger things. Gas tank is 20 gallons which provides a 400 mile range easily. My MPG has been between 22.8 and 25.4 figuring it out the old fashioned way. The ride is a little rough on bumpy roads, other than that, I'd recommend it to anyone.

3.5L is a very good engine

by 3.5 L from Boston on April 20, 2010

The 3.5L is a very good engine. I have one with over 150K and runs like new with a lot of power and no problems what so ever. The 2.5L motor is JUNK but the 3.5 engine was the motor of the year for many years and there is a reason for it. I love this engine so much that I just purchased another car with the same motor Infiniti G35.

Fun Car, Unreliable Overall

by AndyBK9 from Washington, DC on September 2, 2011

I've owned this car for 3 years and since buying, have had to replace the rotors and pads about 4 times (brakes always squeak), the rear of the car makes a knocking noise (just the way the rear suspension is built; nothing actually "wrong" with it), have replaced bushings/tire rods, AC motor had to be replaced, and oil burns very quickly (it was very low at 3k miles). Overall, it's fast, very roomy, awesome sound system (Bose), and looks slick as far as the interior/exterior styling. It would be a great car if it weren't so unreliable.

Great Car

by Altima Girl from Snellville, GA on March 19, 2012

As long as the owner kept the car well maintained then this car is awesome. Absolutely love this car.

always been a good car

by critterferris from on October 29, 2013

I have had this cars for years now. I got it used from a snell dealer ship in Mankato i am shocked to see so many bad reviews on it. mine has a 2.5 in it with over 218 thousand on it and i have never had anything major happen to it i have just did my oil changes and did all the maintence on it and she has always ran strong. all cars break down some time. It just depends on the way you drive it and take care of your car. one thing i found weird was my crankshaft sensor went out on it and when i got it fixed it had a 3.5 engine crank sensor not a 2.5 sensor in fact the 2.5 sensor didnt even fit? any feed back on why thats why that is?

A bit touchy.

by Frustrated Owner from on August 24, 2016

This car is absolutely amazing when it's up and running! I bought one withat 125k on it and it's in excellent shape, the upgrades that come with the SL were worth it. The only draw back is the absolute monstrosity under the hood. I've caught wind of awful CVTs but I didn't know they were all made that way. I've already changed the crankshaft sensor and positioning sensor (the former being a notorious issue with the car, but an easy fix) not to mention the valve cover. Not very reliable but good for a cheap beater car to get you around or, as an okay first car.

Mr.

by Loyal Nissan Fan from Chicago on May 31, 2006

It is a solid and reliable ride. While it is a V4, it has a powerful punch and aggressively accelerates on the highway. The interior is comfortable and quite roomy. It has great gas mileage and an ideal city car. In the four years I have owned the vehicle, all I have had to do is change the oil every 6,000. I look forward to staying in the Nissan family for my future vehicles.

Some Issues

by JD from West Des Moines, Iowa on April 15, 2008

Bought this car used in 2006, from a private owner, Engine was replaced at 84,000 miles, at 95k miles all four fuel injectors were replaced, since they were dumping too much fuel. At 100k miles the new engine required the top of the motor to be rebuilt cost me $ since the 100k warranty expired. Im sort of iffy about buying another nissan, Might buy a honda Green car for my next car. Still got a good deal from a private owner, all service records aval from day one.

Very decent car

by Asianmatt from Rochester NY on February 11, 2017

I bought an 02 2.5 s for $1500 in June of 2014. It had about 120k miles and some dents and scratches, but it was priced so cheap because it had the 5 speed and nobody wanted it. I've heard all the horror stories about the bad cat converters and oil consumption, but I'll say that after putting 70k miles on the car I haven't had a speck of trouble. It did need sway bar bushings and rear brakes and spark plugs but other than that it runs like a dream. It loves the 3000-5000 rpm range. I am heavy on the throttle but it gets valvoline or mobil 1 full synthetic oil and a k&n filter every 3500 miles religiously, and I also use archoil fuel and oil additives. I believe these things contribute heavily to the continued performance and reliability. I also believe that premium lubrication is also why I have no problems with valvetrain and timing chain noise on a 200k mile engine. The seats are not very comfortable IMO, and wind/road noise is a little excessive. However, the stock non-bose stereo actually sounds pretty good, and I'm a sound engineer by trade. It even had a plug on the back of the radio I was able to use to wire in an aux input for my phone music player. Overall great car-if you take care of it. If you neglect it then it will probably leave you stranded. I can really only say I'd recommended it to someone who knows about cars because there are a few things you need to keep an eye on consistently-oil quality and quantity, condition of cat converter, and cooling system condition. This is not a car you can neglect.

1 2 3 4 5 6