2018 Leaf

2018 Nissan Leaf

2018 Nissan Leaf

Have you driven the 2018 Nissan Leaf?

First all electric car I?ve owned

by Fanblade from Minneapolis, MN on May 2, 2018

I use my 2018 LEAF SL primarily to commute to work, which is less than 10 minutes from my home. It?s the perfect vehicle for this. My previous car was an Altima 3.5 SL, and driving to the gas station doubled my commute time. No more! The LEAF drives like a dream. Buttery smooth acceleration instantly responds to the press of the accelerator. It blows away most gas engines from 0-20 mph. The motor is super quiet and the Bose sound system is superb. The self-driving features work as well or better than a Tesla. My favorite thing is controlling my car from my smartphone. I can program my car to activate climate control in the morning while it waits for me in my closed garage before I depart for work. That?s a huge deal during a Minnesota winter! I also feel like I got a great deal on the car. $3,000 instant rebate from Xcel Energy (offer expires end of June, 2018), plus $7,500 federal rebate. It?s hard to go wrong with that.

nissan leaf

by Rachel from Chicago on May 23, 2018

ProPilot works very smooth. I wish I had more miles on a full charge (150 miles), but I hope Leaf will have extra range in future developments. It has plenty of acceleration, and the ePedal allows me to use just the accelerator pedal to accelerate and decelerate. Easy to park with handy autoparking feature. Sometimes, unnecessary braking happens. The seats are comfortable. Very satisfied so far.

Great pick up for electric vehicle

by gnak from MERRIMACK on June 25, 2018

The performance of the Leaf is better than what I expected (no complaints with acceleration or merging into traffic). The driving range (so far) has been closer to 160 miles (if using ePedal and Eco modes), which has been fine for how I use the car. It does take a bit of getting used to using ePedal but it is worth the effort. The PilotAssist is one of the main reasons I purchased the car. The intelligent cruise control with "lane following" makes driving much easier (especially if you have peripheral neuropathy affecting one's foot like I do). I don't have to keep my foot on the brake when I stop and stop-and-go traffic is much easier. The SL also has the 360 degree camera view which has really come in handy when parking in tight spaces. Two things I don't like is not having an option to purchase a spare and the placement of the Bose subwoofer in the cargo area (which takes up valuable space). Purchasing the SL doesn't give you the option NOT to have Bose speakers put in. Also if you get the Leaf SL, you can't (at the moment, at least) buy the cargo organizer due to the subwoofer placement. An updated version is planned but still not available. The other key motivator was that our electric company (Eversource) provided an additional $3K "credit" in addition to the $7.5K federal tax credit. With a $2K discount and $5K for our 9 year old Honda Fit, we rode out of the dealer for $29K (which after fed tax credit become $21.5K for a fully loaded Leaf SL with all options).

2015 vs 2018

by Greg from Pollock PinesPoll, CA on June 27, 2018

I put 55k miles on my '15 before I turned it in at lease end. We were always fighting the limited range. We bought the '18 on 2/28 and we have over 10k miles on it. From dead to fully charged takes 6 1/2 hours on a 30amp charger. We love the longer range and we hardly think about the range now. We rarely go over the 120 mile realistic range. I'm sure its possible to go 150 miles on a charge but you would have to turn off the heat/A.C., the radio, and anything else electric as well as drive ultraconservative over level ground. We rarely go much over a 100 miles in a day so we're good. We also got the $1000 rebate from El Dorado County.

I will never drive a gas car again

by katfact from evanston, Illinois on June 13, 2018

When I saw gas prices rising, I decided to make the plunge. Never so happy in my life. This car is a dream - plenty of charging stations and quiet as can be. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner, but it is the future and I will never go back.

Love my LEAF

by zhaines28 from Simi Valley on July 24, 2018

Where to start...I love this car. Before I was driving a honda accord which was a great car, don't get me wrong, but even with its fuel efficiency I was spending $120-$160 a month in gas. I now am not spending anything in gas and with the state and federal incentives, I got the car for a very affordable price. I am paying less than what I was with my honda (all in) and plus my work has chargers! The car handles smoothly and has quick acceleration. The cabin is simple but very nice with Apple car play. The 150 mile range is perfect as this is a commuter car for me. My work is 32 miles round trip to my house so it gets the job done. I also really like the look of the 18 model, its a lot more sleek. Overall great car!

2018 Nissan Leaf Owner

by Doug K from Colorado Springs, CO on February 14, 2018

I researched EVs for 8 months. I decided on the 2018 Leaf and bought it 4 days ago. I have 100 of my miles on it now. It has run flawlessly so far, up and down the hills in Colorado Springs each day. I drove it on I-25, using the ProPilot, staying in the lane and maintaining 1, 2, and 3 car-lengths behind the car in front. Very smooth. I've sent voice text messages on the NissanConnect system. I plug it in over night to my 110-V house current and get 40% additional battery charge (from 30% to 70% last night) in 12 hours. To save wear and tear on the battery, I understand I shouldn't charge it more than 80%, except as needed. I wish I had more miles on a full charge (150 miles), but I'm looking at the 2019 Leaf now for that extra range. It has plenty of acceleration, and the ePedal allows me to use just the accelerator pedal to accelerate and decelerate (push it to accelerate and relax the push to decelerate to a quick full stop). The seats are comfortable. The heater, heated seats, and heated steering wheel keep the environment very comfortable. Driving safety seems very thorough, with air bags and sensors all around the occupants. The top-level SL version has a premium sound system, complete with a powerful woofer...music is phenomenal. I'm still learning how to use all the conveniences, but I've called Nissan twice and got great support both times. Very satisfied so far.

Newest Nissan Leaf--Awesome!!

by GaryO from Wildwood, Missouri on June 5, 2018

The increased range over the first gen. Leaf is remarkable. I am getting 150-160 all electric miles on a full charge. I highly recommend it. Looks great too. Super nice, smoothly running, quiet, quick car. Go test drive an all-electric car and you will wonder why you haven't bought one yet.

Best transitioning car from ICE to EV

by Mahmoud Hassan from Woodridge, IL on March 9, 2018

Good quality. Attention to details you expect only from more expensive European brands. Unified buying process that doesn't leave much room for the dealerships to play games with you. This is the best entry level EV you CAN buy at the moment.

2018 Leaf with Technology Package

by Mohammad from Brentwood, CA on August 6, 2018

I bought this car on 6/23/18 with $6K off of MSRP, 0 down and 0% APR. This is my commuter car and now it has little over 2K miles on it. My round trip from work is 120 miles which I do twice a week. I am very pleased with numbers. On a full charge, this car gives 120 miles with A/C on, on slowest speed, with 10% - 15% charge remaining at the end. Since I don?t drive local as much, I am very positive that this car would give more than 150 miles. Also, first 1,200 miles I drove for $7.75. Thanks to Nissan 2 years of free charge. This is pretty good compared to my gas guzzler that would cost me $450. I highly recommend this car. Still waiting on my $4,500 state rebate. :)

1 2

Our Take on the 2018 Nissan Leaf

The verdict:

With more conventional styling and a longer range, the redesigned 2018 Nissan Leaf all-electric hatchback is more mainstream and practical than ever, but Nissan missed an opportunity to fix some of its glaring shortcomings.

Versus the competition:

With its more traditional design, the 2018 Leaf follows the lead of the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Hyundai Ioniq Electric and keeps the focus on value and affordability — with a lower starting price and longer range than its predecessor. But shoppers who want a driving range of more than 200 miles still need to look elsewhere for now (a more powerful — and more expensive — longer-range version of the Leaf is slated to arrive as a 2019 model).

When it debuted as a 2011 model, the Nissan Leaf brought the possibility of all-electric driving to the masses — including us: Cars.com purchased a 2011 Leaf along with a 2011 Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car for our inaugural long-term test fleet. We learned a lot in our time with the Leaf, which proved to be a reliable, easy-to-drive commuter car for the year and a half we owned it.

The redesigned 2018 new Leaf starts at $30,875 ($885 destination charge included). That's $690 less than the outgoing Leaf, but its EPA-estimated driving range has increased from 107 to 151 miles on a full charge. For this test, we drove the top SL trim with a $38,260 as-tested price. Our test car had... Read More