NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2018 Leaf

2018 Nissan Leaf

2018 Nissan Leaf

Have You Driven the 2018 Nissan Leaf?

First all electric car I’ve owned

by Fanblade from Minneapolis, MN on Wed May 02 2018

I use my 2018 LEAF SL primarily to commute to work, which is less than 10 minutes from my home. It’s the perfect vehicle for this. My previous car was an Altima 3.5 SL, and driving to the gas station doubled my commute time. No more! The LEAF drives like a dream. Buttery smooth acceleration instantly responds to the press of the accelerator. It blows away most gas engines from 0-20 mph. The motor is super quiet and the Bose sound system is superb. The self-driving features work as well or better than a Tesla. My favorite thing is controlling my car from my smartphone. I can program my car to activate climate control in the morning while it waits for me in my closed garage before I depart for work. That’s a huge deal during a Minnesota winter! I also feel like I got a great deal on the car. $3,000 instant rebate from Xcel Energy (offer expires end of June, 2018), plus $7,500 federal rebate. It’s hard to go wrong with that.

nissan leaf

by Rachel from Chicago on Wed May 23 2018

ProPilot works very smooth. I wish I had more miles on a full charge (150 miles), but I hope Leaf will have extra range in future developments. It has plenty of acceleration, and the ePedal allows me to use just the accelerator pedal to accelerate and decelerate. Easy to park with handy autoparking feature. Sometimes, unnecessary braking happens. The seats are comfortable. Very satisfied so far.

Great pick up for electric vehicle

by gnak from MERRIMACK on Mon Jun 25 2018

The performance of the Leaf is better than what I expected (no complaints with acceleration or merging into traffic). The driving range (so far) has been closer to 160 miles (if using ePedal and Eco modes), which has been fine for how I use the car. It does take a bit of getting used to using ePedal but it is worth the effort. The PilotAssist is one of the main reasons I purchased the car. The intelligent cruise control with "lane following" makes driving much easier (especially if you have peripheral neuropathy affecting one's foot like I do). I don't have to keep my foot on the brake when I stop and stop-and-go traffic is much easier. The SL also has the 360 degree camera view which has really come in handy when parking in tight spaces. Two things I don't like is not having an option to purchase a spare and the placement of the Bose subwoofer in the cargo area (which takes up valuable space). Purchasing the SL doesn't give you the option NOT to have Bose speakers put in. Also if you get the Leaf SL, you can't (at the moment, at least) buy the cargo organizer due to the subwoofer placement. An updated version is planned but still not available. The other key motivator was that our electric company (Eversource) provided an additional $3K "credit" in addition to the $7.5K federal tax credit. With a $2K discount and $5K for our 9 year old Honda Fit, we rode out of the dealer for $29K (which after fed tax credit become $21.5K for a fully loaded Leaf SL with all options).

Love my LEAF

by zhaines28 from Simi Valley on Tue Jul 24 2018

Where to start...I love this car. Before I was driving a honda accord which was a great car, don't get me wrong, but even with its fuel efficiency I was spending $120-$160 a month in gas. I now am not spending anything in gas and with the state and federal incentives, I got the car for a very affordable price. I am paying less than what I was with my honda (all in) and plus my work has chargers! The car handles smoothly and has quick acceleration. The cabin is simple but very nice with Apple car play. The 150 mile range is perfect as this is a commuter car for me. My work is 32 miles round trip to my house so it gets the job done. I also really like the look of the 18 model, its a lot more sleek. Overall great car!

Great All Electric Car

by Pickel from Pittsburgh, PA on Thu Oct 25 2018

This is a great buy (with state and federal rebates) for around the town transportation. Great features and a pleasure to drive. Only need to charge every third day!

I will never drive a gas car again

by katfact from evanston, Illinois on Wed Jun 13 2018

When I saw gas prices rising, I decided to make the plunge. Never so happy in my life. This car is a dream - plenty of charging stations and quiet as can be. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner, but it is the future and I will never go back.

Very good daily car.

by Vadym from Boiling Springs on Thu Sep 13 2018

This is New 2018 Nissan leaf is perfect for daily use like from home to work or some shopping locally. Need more capacity battery for long distance. The price is slightly overestimated. And otherwise ideal for everyday driving. Great car!

Love this car

by Kellie from Littleton on Tue Oct 16 2018

This car is very comfortable and has a lot of extras added in to make it nice such as heated steering wheels and seats. I can go about 150 miles on a single charge and with Nissan's No Charge to Charge program I get free charging for 2 years. The new models are much better looking than their predecessors. It has a ton of get up and go. I drive 100% of the time in ECO mode and have no problems getting up to speed. If you are looking to get off the line faster turn off ECO mode and you will leave most people in the dust. My only complaint is the center console by your legs is a bit wide and bumps my legs and the cup holders in the door aren't quite tall enough for my water bottle. Other than that I love it.

An adventure into the future

by Adventurous Old Lady from Orlando, FL on Thu Oct 18 2018

I am a 68-year-old retiree. At this stage of life, the electric Leaf is the right choice for me. I have a fixed income and love the fact I no longer have to stop at sometime scary gas stations. I have an all-solar home. Plugging in my car to an outlet in garage is a piece of cake. I would not recommend this car for long distance driving as I have problems finding public charging stations. I chose to lease this car. Perhaps after three years when the lease is up there will be an upgraded Leaf with extended battery life before having to recharge.

Smooth, Responsive, and Quiet

by A MacNeill from Lititz, PA on Mon Oct 08 2018

The 2018 Leaf is meticulously engineered, possibly even to a fault. While the high-tech safety features are impressive, the best thing about it really is just how well it handles and accelerates. The e-Pedal is the ultimate in smoothness and efficiency.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2018 Nissan Leaf

The verdict:

With more conventional styling and a longer range, the redesigned 2018 Nissan Leaf all-electric hatchback is more mainstream and practical than ever, but Nissan missed an opportunity to fix some of its glaring shortcomings.

Versus the competition:

With its more traditional design, the 2018 Leaf follows the lead of the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Hyundai Ioniq Electric and keeps the focus on value and affordability — with a lower starting price and longer range than its predecessor. But shoppers who want a driving range of more than 200 miles still need to look elsewhere for now (a more powerful — and more expensive — longer-range version of the Leaf is slated to arrive as a 2019 model).

When it debuted as a 2011 model, the Nissan Leaf brought the possibility of all-electric driving to the masses — including us: Cars.com purchased a 2011 Leaf along with a 2011 Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car for our inaugural long-term test fleet. We learned a lot in our time with the Leaf, which proved to be a reliable, easy-to-drive commuter car for the year and a half we owned it.

The redesigned 2018 new Leaf starts at $30,875 ($885 destination charge included). That's $690 less than the outgoing Leaf, but its EPA-estimated driving range has increased from 107 to 151 miles on a full charge. For this test, we drove the top SL trim with a $38,260 as-tested price. Our test car had... Read More