1997 Maxima

1997 Nissan Maxima

1997 Nissan Maxima

Have you driven the 1997 Nissan Maxima?

Best car on the road

by Max from texas on Sat May 29 2010

I got this 97 nissan maxima last year from my uncle who is the original oner of it for the past 12 years. When I got the car in March of 2007, it had 88k miles. Now a year later it's comming up on 103k miles. In that time the only thing i've replaced is the battery. overall the car is very well desinged inside and out. Beleve it or not for a car that's 13 years old there are very few squeaks and rattles. The only issue im having is with the transmission, case in point when it's running cold the shift from 1st to 2nd is hard, but the other gears shift smoothly. And it only does this untill the transmission gets warm, after that you barly notice it's shifting. performance-wise, this is the fastest car i've ever had. i dont know what it tops out at, but i can assure you it will do at least 122mph. it'll keep up with most cars costing 40-50k. fuel-wise i can get aroud 18-20 intown and 25-28 on the hwy. and with an 18.5 gal. tank, i can go around 500 miles on a fill-up (havent tryed it yet). I plan on keeping this car untill my daughter is old enough to drive, whitch won't be untill 2024. so thats at least 14 more years. overall if your looking for a very good desinged and reliable car this is the car to have

Love it!! Love it!! Love it!!

by RoadKing from Los Angeles, CA on Sat Jan 10 2009

I bought my 1997 Maxima SE in 2002 with 87K miles. Seven years later -with an odometer reading of 249,055- I'm still amazed at all the wonderful trips and trouble-free fun-filled miles in this vehicle. He's practically a member of the family... Why do I love it? (where do I begin?) (1) Spacious interior: plenty of room for 5. (2) AMAZING power: I drive a stick-shift model, and can easily blow pass everyone even on a steep road. I can't do nothing but to look at the other cars in the rearview mirror, and to smile while they shrink and eventually disappear. That says something about a 12-year-old car with 250K miles on it!! (3) Excellent gas mileage: sips like a 4-cylinder, but roars like an 8-cylinder. I get about 22/27 mpg. (4) Reliable. Even when there was a period of 2 years without an oil change...and I didn't even look under the hood (I was bad, really bad!). (5) Bang for the Buck: I paid $8K for it in 2002. Looking back at how much fun I've had, I would have gladly paid 3X the money. If a car is a "depreciating asset" my Maxima is NOT a car. After all the neglect, abuse and wear-tear, my clutch had to be replaced once and now the air conditioner does not cool as it should...But who cares?! I've given it so little and gotten so much more. There's no such thing as a perfect car, but my sweet Maxima is probably as close as it gets. I have friends driving fancy BMW's and Mercedes. They complain about reliability and costs, yet they can't comprehend why I'm "clinging" to my old car. I just don't want to break their hearts about the money they paid for the car that they got... My car could probably outlast me, but I'm shooting for 300K miles and perhaps pass it on to a family member... Don't know what my next car would be, but if you are considering a Maxima I would recommend it hands down. And perhaps years later, you can write a review like mine. Good luck.

Best Car I've Ever Had

by In Love With My Maxima! from Stroudsburg, PA on Mon May 18 2009

I am proud to say that my 97 Maxima now has 302,003 miles on it and is still running strong. Only on it's second clutch and in 3 years I've never had to put any money into this car. I will never get rid of this vehicle! Best car ever made!

Most reliable car i've owned

by Thinking from fredericksburg on Sat Apr 22 2017

This vehicle is awsome. I has gone all over the United States. Allways reliable. The air conditioner is cold even at 20 years old.

Old Faithful~

by FLFishinGal from Tampa, FL on Wed Feb 20 2013

I purchased my Maxima LE back in '04 and now have 198K miles on it. It's been my commuter for the past 9yrs traveling 25+ miles one way each day. I've replaced the starter twice and the alternator a couple times and replaced the CV joints. Those are my only larger than "oil change" maintenaces I've done. I've just noticed that the AC is not blowing as hard as it should, but considering it's daily trek in the Florida heat and sitting out in the sun, not garaged- it's been very forgiving and reliable. I have a little rust that was there previously when I purchased it and it's still in good shape considering. I get 30mpg easy w/ 75% of my miles being highway miles. It has great power for its class w/o being a gas guzzler. I would have complete peace of mind passing this vehicle down to a teenage driver for their first car. Great value for the money!

Great Used Car

by maxdude11 from Peoria, IL on Sun Dec 26 2010

Got my 97 Max used in Chitown last fall. It has nearly 200k and still runs great and has no leaks and burns no oil.... The only issue I have is I need to replace an A/C pulley because is started making a roaring/whining noise, but in the part's defense it does sit at the bottom of the engine and is exposed to a ton of road salt every winter. Other repairs have just been routine maitenance... The body does have some rust, but that may be due to the previous owner not washing, waxing, etc.... as he should have.....

BEST CAR EVER

by Manbone from Bradenton, FL on Sat Mar 06 2010

I bought this car new in 97 for $23,000 best car buy I ever made. I have had vary few problems. The car has 180K and still has same power and comfort. I now have three kids so I need a bigger ride. I hate to sell it, but it looks like it has held it's value. I should get about 3500 for it. I would recommend this car for someone who needs a reliable fun car with great gas milage. Also the paint job looks factory new. Just change the oil, wash, and wax. Happy driving.

Love my Max!!

by BevMaxima from McDonough, Ga. on Sun Dec 06 2009

Bought her used in 98; now has 154,500 miles, have replaced 2 starters, and in 2009 the MacPherson struts, otherwise it's just oil changes, brakes and tires. 23 mpg around town, 32 on cruise control/Interstate. Fun car, fast, still looks good even though it sits outside all the time. Just keep her waxed, the tires black, and I hope she lasts me another 10+ years.

The Best Car I've Ever Had!!!!!

by A car expert in so many brands from New York City, New York on Thu Oct 26 2006

I've owned many cars, from Acuras to Zs. I've even owned Mercedes and BMWs before, but no car has ever pleased me the way this one did. I grew attached to this one. Since the day I got it I knew it was for me. It has plenty of room to fit 5 people comfortably and the heat and A/C work really well. I absolutely love to drive this car and i wouldn't trade it for the world. I live in New York City and Have a vacation home on Florida. Sure, I could take my new Mercedes GL, but I never do. Even with 331,000 miles on this baby it still gets me there with no problem. The only thing I ever had to get repaired on the car was its timing belt, but that's to be expected after 331,000 miles. I still own it and love it to death. Even with my Porsche 911. This one is my absolute favorite. My wife ends up driving the Porsche most of the time and my so called Mercedes has only 970 miles on it. I've had it for about a good 7 months now. I would recommend this car to someone in a heartbeat. If you're looking for a used car look no further than a Nissan Maxima.

Best four door I've ever owned

by Family guy who really enjoys cars from Salt Lake, UT on Fri Oct 17 2008

My maxima has plenty of room for a car of it's size and I get great mpg for a V6 (22 in 95% city driving). The engine is amazing. It has lots of power for a car that's over 10 years old. Being able to roll the windows down with the key fob is a wonderful feature on a hot day. Handing is better then average for a front wheel driver, though you can definitely tell it's weight is up front if you are hot in a corner. The leather is still doing incredibly well. It's a great car and it loves to driven.

1 2

Our Take on the 1997 Nissan Maxima

The engine's the thing in the Nissan Maxima - what turns a nice sedan into a sports sedan, what makes the Nissan flagship a strong contender against automobiles costing thousands more.

Displacing just three liters, the V-6 purrs smoothly at highway speeds or under normal acceleration. Or it will emit a satisfying snarl when pushed to release all 190 horses, feeling more like an exotic Italian automobile than a practical Japanese machine.

I found myself pushing it often to redline, enjoying the silky rush of power, without harshness or excessive noise. It was all too easy to merge aggressively into freeway traffic in third gear, shifting up into fourth and fifth after the Maxima is up to speed... Read More