2003 Maxima

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great Used Car

by Nissan Searching from Nc on March 24, 2011

My wife and I went looking for a Nissan Maxima in used condition as a back up car. We had a 1996 model earlier that we put almost 300,000 miles on so this was our pick. Research indicated 2002-2003 to be the best years for Nissan Maxima so we searched for these years. We found a used 2003 but went a used 2002 that had an emasculate inside and the exterior was in much better shape. So far the car has performed well with 118,000 miles on it and we've had it about two months. The handling is very sporty and fast. The inside is roomy enough for our two sons. These cars hold value very well, especially the 02-03 models, so we should be able to sell it later and get back a lot of what we have in it.

2003 Maxima

by VJReed from Connecticut on November 11, 2009

I am currently in College and have owned the 2003 Maxima SE for about 6 years. The car is very well designed and has been on road trips throughout the East Coast. I have never been stuck anywhere and the car responds to anything that I have thrown at it. It was great cargo space and can withstand the challenge of holding skis or a bicycle. the car isn't great in the snow however with some added weight and knowing how to drive in the low gear it gets that job done. I would encourage anyone looking for a used car at this point to give it a look if you are looking for something sporty, reliable and fun. Everything works well on the car and it promises to be a blast to drive in beautiful weather.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

A Great Car

by 03Max from Phoenix, AZ on July 22, 2006

I upgraded from a '97 Maxima - what a difference. Test drove Accord v6, Camry v6, Taurus, Impala and for the heck of it a 330i (just to see the difference)before buying the Maxima. Maxima was fastest of the group, even faster than the 330i. The only feature that bested the nissan was the handling of the 330i. Honda, Toyota, Ford & Chevy don't have anything even close to this car as far as performace goes - you Accord v6 ownwers that have tried to keep up with me know what I am speaking of (yes, even a manual Accord v6 can't keep up). Mileage is at 23.3 (mix of hwy & city), have 62K on it and have only had oil changes & break pads (1 time). A great car for $21K. I will always be amazed that this car with an automatic tranny, 3.5 liter 255hp engine can routinely beat 90% of all v8 cars out there - manual or auto- as well as gets better mileage. Someday the US makers will catch the clue: performace, quality, cost, mileaqge, featues and finally styling are - in this order - the keys to making a great vehicle.

Heavenly

by Danno Denver from Denver CO on June 28, 2010

Just bought this car with 144k and I am amazed. The leather is perfect, transmission still shifts smoothly all electronics work great. Amazing price compared to what anything else offered.

great car

by cars4life from Florida,FL on October 1, 2011

I own a 2003 nissan maxima se model.It is so beautiful inside and out.Mines was loaded with heated seats,heated steering wheel,leather seats.automatic climate control and much more.I am the second owner and it looks like it just came out of the dealers lot.The paint is still shiny and still has its gloss.the reliability is great never had a problem with it.I highly recomend this car to anyone!

One of the more reliable cars I've owned

by ICEMAN76 from Goldsboro, NC on May 11, 2011

'03 Nissan Maxima 6 sp Titanium Edition/Meridian edition. 255hp/237tq at the crank. Decent sounding Bose stereo with six speakers and an 8 inch subwoofer in rear deck. Heated seats are definitely a plus. Heated steering wheel is to die for in winter months. LSD worked like it was supposed to. Trunk was a nice size also. Only thing I didn't like was that it was FWD. But for a family sedan, at the time you couldn't beat it. Fun factor is through the roof. Strong engine; torque for days it seems like. Very comfortable seats: front and back. Would definitely buy another.

Best Performance for the money

by Maxima03! from on October 23, 2009

i have a 2003 se and it is the best preforming car i have ever had. the suspension is super good around corners and the acceleration is great to. i cant wait to get another one

they should make it again

by NIGHTMARE from Chicago on December 30, 2009

bought it used with 49K miles, was totaled @88K after 3.5 years of use and abuse by a school bus. In that time span only repairs were regular maintenance and front struts, one wheel bearing(hit a curb) and outer tie rods. This car is a blast to drive, has lots of space, very good for long trips or throwing it around corners, but change the oem rubber. in the end i'm buying the same identical car. If Nissan makes it again i will buy it, and i mean exactly the same outside.

Quality that is no longer available today!

by JZMAX from New Jersey on April 24, 2012

I'll tell ya, I have been in the market for quite some time now searching for a new car. My maxima (se fully loaded) has spoiled me. The only reason I would like to trade it is because it is getting up in age and I don't want to have to start worrying about costly repairs. I refuse to buy a new maxima because I despise the CVT. The build quality is awesome. In fact, all of the Japanese cars in this era were incredilbe in this respect. Performance is pretty good as well except for the really wide turning radius and the torque steer. The Bose audio system is really quirky too, however, when it works it's really great. I am waiting for more 2013 models to be released; hopefully by then something will come out that will not have me questioning at all! Until then, my max is it baby!

Everything I ever wanted in one car.

by Just glue me to the steering wheel from Salisbury NC on September 29, 2008

I love to drive and wanted a sports car but I found most of them lacking in space, both for me and my stuff as i love to travel. I tried to find a four-door or a wagon with a manual transmission and those that had one were, for the most part, underpowered and boring. When I test drove the Maxima SE with the 6-speed manual transmission, I quit looking. The car looked good, was roomy and comfortable, had plenty of options, a great sound system and had all the feel of a much sportier vehicle. A blast to drive on winding mountain roads and plenty of power for the straightaway. I think Nissan has made a serious mistake by not offering manuals in the Maxima any more. There's a manual shift mode, but anyone who really loves to drive a stick will understand why this is just a pointless toy. I can only hope that this car lasts forever because I don't know what could replace it adequately.

1 2 3 4