2006 Maxima

2006 Nissan Maxima

2006 Nissan Maxima

4.5

Have you driven the 2006 Nissan Maxima?

Stylish and Fun, but beware of ABS problems

by Brent from Appleton, WI on Sat Jan 10 2009

I bought the 2006 Maxima with all of the options two weeks ago and love the design and how it handles. I am really glad I made this purchase, but a week after I bought it, one of the sensors for the ABS started having problems. I'm currently in the process of getting it fixed and have learned that Nissan issued a technical service bulletin on this issue; however, they did not feel it was necessary to to recall them. Apparently, this is not a widespread problem, but it has happened to quite a few of the Maximas. Just beware that it could happen to you car and try to beware that it is covered under the warranty. I'm pretty sure mine will be covered, but it has been a hassle so far. It's a great car otherwise.

Great vehicle.

by Great car ! from Brooklyn, NY on Sun Oct 15 2006

I bought this car 5 month ago and put 4.5 K on it now. I have an SE model, but it comes with the sky view, tape/CD, climate control, traction control and 4-wheel ABS. Every other option would be extra. Great on the road, fast, quiet, super handling, just fun to drive. 3.5 engine is very powerful, but you can feel it having the average of 20 miles/gallon in New York area. Since i have 18" wheels and sport suspension, on the turn having the bad New York roads, the car may not hold the road really good. It's perfect if the road is excellent. If the road is bumpy and has lots of holes, then the car is not that stable. Highly recommend to everyone. Enjoy the great quality of Nissan !

One fault

by Former Nissan test driver from Hatford, CT on Thu Dec 28 2006

The one and only thing I have found wrong with this vehical is the instrument console's buttons are placed to close together for the driver to view while driving. also to many screens to go through for the radio and other readings. Nissan did fix these problems with the 07 models (redsign interior). But overall this the Maxima is a very stylish and sexy car that no one should pass up or it will pass by you !!!!!!

Very nice car

by COOL from on Tue Jun 08 2010

this car handles surprisingly well. great acceleration and braking, little bit of road noise but that was because of the continental tire, switch to michelin and this car is equivalent to BMW 3 series in term of handling

Funky cool SE

by Maximad from Harrisburg, PA on Wed Jan 07 2009

Just bought the car last week. First impressions were that it was not much faster than my slightly modded '93. Then I turned off the traction control. Wow, what a monster this thing became! The 245/45R18 tires are nice to look at, and really help the overall performance of the car. Even with the big 18s, however, TCS off equals tire-shredding, half-way-down-the-block rolling burnouts from anything close to a stop. I'm also coming to like the automatic transmission. I always had a stick, since autos usually seem so slow, but approaching 40, I value the rest and relaxation the automatic allows me. More gadgets than you can count, and cool features like a bluetooth phonebook with voice tags built into the car's bluetooth. My cell phone does not support voice tags, but that doesn't matter when paired to my Maxima's bluetooth. It's all very fun. Did not like the looks of the 6th gen maxima at first, but the looks grow on you like mold on bread. All in all a great car. Highly recommended.

Great Car - Great Price

by Tom Miller from Denver, CO on Tue Oct 10 2006

I purchased by 06' SL in June of 06' after shopping on the internet for months. Nissan stepped up the plate and sold me the car I wanted at the price I wanted with items such as my XM Radio, splash guards, spoiler and clear mask for free! No joke - fully loaded, with NAV, driver perferred package and pro pack: $24,277.23. This is a great car. Lots or room,speed, comfort and ability to ZOOM right past the pump. So far I have 3K on this car and I average 20.4 miles per gallon in the city - Denver

Most comfortable and fun to drive car

by Dawna DC from Gastonia Nc on Thu Apr 12 2018

This car is super comfortable and it's the best for a road trip. Extremely comfortable and fun to drive. It has wonderful pick-up and plenty of leg room for everyone.

I love my 265HP

by Engineering Blonde from Vidalia GA on Fri Nov 03 2006

I bought the maxima with the manual transmission, and it is the best car I have ever driven. It is sporty, dependable, affordable, and can still seat 5 adults comfortably.

Always a Maxima owner = Dependable !!

by Jofarri016 from Florence, AL on Sat Jul 21 2018

This car has taken me many places and has never caused me any mechanical issues even after I purchased it used in 2011, at the time it was 5 years old & 79k Miles. I have always loved Maximas. So when it was time to trade in I traded for another because they are dependable, durable, and well known for being able to outlast well over 100k+ Miles

Transmission

by DionS from Ft Lauderdale, FL on Thu Mar 15 2012

In May 2011, I had to buy a new car. I looked at several but always knew I wanted a Maxima. So went out and searched for several and found one I absolutely loved. Paid $13K for used 2006 with 70K miles - worked fine until 2 weeks after driving off the lot, then I had to fix the radiator, $300, new rear brakes etc...$250, then, are you ready.....the engine mounts - $1100....then back in Dec 11, started having problems where the engine was slipping - yes, transmission problems at just 80K....cost to repair $3000. Have I fixed it yet? Absolutely not. Spent too much money on this used car and still making car payments. Hoping to sell it off in a month; don't care if I have to pay more for a new car, at least I will be in a new car - car still drives fine most days because I only live and work 3 miles apart and I don't drive like a maniac. I'm very disappointed with Nissan.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2006 Nissan Maxima

We hit the highway for this review with extreme prejudice. No, that's not spy lingo for the elimination of a foe. Just an admission that I climbed into the 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE knowing that it is powered by what I consider to be the best V-6 engine on the planet. It's superbly smooth and plenty powerful at 265 horsepower, and ready toannounce its presence through quad-tipped dual exhausts. Somehow, the Maxima, the flagship of Nissan's fleet, has rumbled beneath the radar of most consumers. When we think American muscle in a foreign skin, we often envision BMW, Mercedes-Benz, or Audi. And yes, Nissan's upscale Infiniti brands that bear the 35 and 45 badges have been given their muscle-car recognition... Read More