1999 Nissan Pathfinder

The Eternal Nissan

by from Durango, CO on April 23, 2014

I bought my Pathfinder used a few years back. I have driven it 100 miles a day to work, up icy and snowy winding roads, and on roads that really aren't roads at all. Right now I am at 413,000 miles - yes, that is real, not a typo - and I have only had to replace a front axel. I love this car, it is the perfect, reliable mountaineer/commuter/road trip/mom-mobile.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned

by from Auburn, AL on November 27, 2012

I purchased a 99 Pathfinder used with 77,000 miles on it. I was originally concerned with the mileage being so high but I needed a vehicle and I loved the layout, handling, and obscenely smooth ride. I traded in my Pathfinder 5 years later with an odo reading of 199,896 miles and not so much as a flat tire the entire time I had it. Trading that car in was a huge mistake and am currently looking for another one. Amazing vehicle, engine is bullet proof (as long as you keep up with maintenance).

My buddy

by from Menlo Park, CA on March 19, 2010

I have purchased this SUV in 1999 from a Nissan dealer after looking into the car for a few years. The Nissan is definitely an excellent SUV. Often I drive it for my outdoor activities (skiing, camping, backpacking, etc). It has been providing a comfortable ride and handling in those occasions. What I really love is the design. It looks good inside out. Sure. Also, the functionality is well thought out. It has most things I need. They are really useful. But it does not have things I do not really need. It is not a minimalist, though. I love the Bose stereo system :-) It sounds wonderful. I have compared it with Toyota 4Runner and Subaru Outback (the same year models). The Nissan provided better ride and handling than the Toyota. The Subaru consumes less fuel. However, it has much less cargo capacity. Probably the Toyota and Nissan gets pretty close in their reliability. The Subaru had somewhat questionable reliability records. My Nissan has a stellar reliability record with over 165K miles. I do the recommended regular maintenance at a repair shop I trust. The original battery was defects so that my dealer replaced it free in the first year. Obviously I had to replace consumables (lubrications, tires, shocks, brakes). Finally I had to replace a muffler last year. Still that is it. A weakness is the engine in my mind. I wish it had a bit more torque when pushed. Also, the fuel consumption is a bit behind its competitors. Usually I get 18 mpg (HWY) and 16 mpg (City). Anyway, over all I could not have been happier. It is a rugged, dependable, and comforting buddy that goes with me anywhere I go carrying a bunch of cargo. It has never let me down. I wish Nissan had kept the same line of SUV in the lineup.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

love my Nissan

by from Omaha, NE on October 21, 2011

I bought my 99 pathfinder in 2004 with 68,000 miles. It now has 170,000. I have had one major repair (fuel injector system in 2008). This vehicle handles well, has a great Bose stereo system, and is an overall great value for the money. I've had no trouble with this vehicle before or since the injectors. I love my pathfinder and I will keep it until it's no longer drivable. The only downside is that I live in Nebraska where salt is frequently applied to the roads during winter months and my metal side step boards have rusted. They have since been removed and I've had no more problems with rust.

i love the pathfinder

by from on March 6, 2014

I have put 200000 miles on mine! And it doesnt burn a drop of oil! I love this truck! I will drive it till it dies!

1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder Limited 4x4

by from New Jersey USA on September 2, 2006

I personally found that Nissan Pathfinder is a great SUV and nothing compare to comfort to a coupe.. I had mine just a few days now and I am Loving it as days passed by.

Not the same Nissan I came to love

by from Dayton, OH on December 28, 2007

I had a 1991 Pathfinder that I literally drove until it died with 280,000 miles on it. So I was very entheusiastic to get a used 1999 Pathfinder at a good price. The 1999 was not nearly as comfortable as my 1991, nor did I like the styling as much. The car felt very unstable if it was necessary to swerve at highway speeds. It slides / spins out on even the pavement that is even slightly wet and spins out on wet pavement when starting out from a dead stop. I was hoping that this car would have the same reliability as my 1991 Pathfiinder but the '99 died at 180,000 miles - a full 100,000 miles short of my expectations from my 1991. Recently I traded in the 1998 and pruchased a used 2002 LE. This vehicle is much more like the 1991 regarding styling, comfort, and handling. Much more the vehicle I had come to love and expect from Nissan. I think the 1998/1999 years were off years for Nissan. It is good to know the quality is back

Rugged, Reliable, Refined

by from Missoula, Montana on July 21, 2008

It goes anywhere in any conditions, handles exceptionally well for a truck-based vehicle, offers reasonable comfort, has a refreshingly simple design and layout, and is ruggedly reliable. Too bad about the gas mileage.

Awesome!

by from Boston on July 13, 2007

Reliable and fun to drive. Great little SUV with a big feel yet a car like ride. Easy on gas and fun around town yet comfortable on the long rides.

My 1st Nissan

by from PA on October 20, 2009

ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT! Bose stereo, Moonroof, backseats that fold down. Great vehicle. VERY little maint.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Nissan Pathfinder