Read or write a review.

4.4
Average based on 21 reviews

Pretty good

by from monroe,la on May 18, 2010

I had the xterra for two years it was horrible on gas i mean horrible, I had constant problems with the engine, It shook constantly stopping at red light were horrible. But towards the end I got hit by a 2005 F250 3/4 ton truck and my xterra sure did hold up. It was totaled but i think any other car or truck that got hit as hard as I did wouldnt have made it. This is a very sturdy and safe car. I would definitely recommend this.

Most reliable truck I've ever Owned

by from Illinois on March 5, 2011

This truck is a good first truck for you son to start out with. It is not big enough for him to tow a huge boat. It is very reliable, It will get you were you need to go.

Reliable and quality throughout, but....

by from Syracuse, NY -- Seattle, WA on August 20, 2006

I do enjoy this vehicle. It has never left me stranded or without room to transport friends or items. The same cannot be said for the 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix that it replaced. The seats have proven to be very comfortable even when it became the home for my 6 foot frame on a drive across the country. No failures or gremlins have plagued this car either. It certainly did deserve its Motor Trend award at the time of its creation. However, in this time of gas crunching and environmental responsibility, I cannot help but feel a little guilty driving the Xterra even when cargo needs warrant it. This vehicle has been a trustworthy companion for 6 years, it is with heavy heart that I part with it, but times have changed as have my needs.

Xterra at 200k and strong

by from Central Michigan on August 5, 2011

My 2000 X-Terra XE just turned 200K miles and it is still tight and strong. Repairs so far; recommended services per Mfr. Maint Schedule, all. Cut the rattling heat shields off the stainless exhaust. Aluminum shield welded to a stainless exhaust. Bad idea, good news is the ORIGINAL exhaust is fine at 200k! New rear leaf springs at about 60K, I wrestled with the factory Nerf bars and paint not sticking to them for the first 6 months I owned it then the dealer got tired of repainting them and asked if they could have them Rhino-coated, I agreed and they look and perform great. This was a first model year vehicle that despite the caution of a lot of friends turned out better than I could have ever imagined. I'm so happy I just had it painted and some surface rust repaired and plan to drive it till it melts down. It is the only vehicle that at over a couple of years old everything still works, e-locker, windows locks etc. One complaint, the key fobs both broke at around 50K and were a poor design. All things considered I can live with it (unless there is a Nissan exec reading in which case fix them for me, this was a great review!) also the engine could have used a few more horses (New model has 230, 2000 had 170) and the seats are in need of some padding they are like the racing seats in a cafe car, and with the stiff 4x4 suspension it wears your but out after about 3 hours in the truck. I have since owned a Titan (sucked), and am back at long last to a Jeep. My wife drives the X-terra now and when I mentioned selling it she gave me the wife look. If you have one, keep it, If you are considering one, consider that the price has only gone up less than 2k in 11 years. Buy it.

stylish but terrible gas mileage

by from Lagos on August 6, 2007

handles fairly well. could use more power especially since it consumes so much gas. overall a decent suv for the money.

Great Car

by from New York NY on March 28, 2011

I love it! Its great for off roading and just having a good old time! You realy end up getting your moneys worth!

Good vehicle for 11 years

by from Tallahassee, FL on December 12, 2011

Xterra was what it was sold to be: a rugged SUV that could do most anything. It had good ground clearance and sufficient power to do what needed to be done. Repair record was worse than expected and eventually lead to my getting rid of the vehicle though 11 years of service is pretty good. Utility was better than expected with good towing capabilities and other cargo storage. Gas efficiency was underwhelming.

Xterra, simpley amazing

by from Grand Haven, MI on March 3, 2011

100% sure, best car/truck i have ever owned very fun for offroading, and the fact that it is a stick shift makes it amazing.

Uses car for Off-roading

The last real suv

by from fort worth,tx on September 16, 2012

i have had my xterra for about 6 months now,i must say its not for those who want a luxury car ride. It is for those who want a rugged, no frills suv that can take them to work, and take them on a weekend adventure in the same package. This truck has been nothing but reliable in the half year i have owned it, only 1 thing has broke, and it was a $130 fix an an hour of my time, not bad. the only other expense is gas, and routine maintenance, great suv for those who are tired of the car based ones and want a real capable true to its roots suv, I recommend it to everyone in the 4x4 market

rugged,fun,relaible

by from fort worth,tx on June 25, 2012

bought my xterra with 145000 miles on er and she runs strong exterior is great if you find one that the plastic bumpers have faded put tire shine gel on it let it dry just like new those bumpers are my only complaint on body, the tires are an odd size 265/70 15 so not many choices but there are good ones and not that expensive interior the cruise control main button could be in a better spot but not bad love it all round great suv real bumpy ride but its built on a truck frame and built to go off road so bumpy means its fun

Our Expert Review: 2000 Nissan Xterra