2001 Xterra

2001 Nissan Xterra

2001 Nissan Xterra

4.3

Have You Driven the 2001 Nissan Xterra?

I loved the X-Terra! The only down-side- MPG

by JustSimplyMeM from Staten Island, NY on Sun Aug 14 2011

I absolutely loved my X-Terra, I bought it used and owned it for 5 1/2 years. It was an EXCELLENT vehicle - absolutely no complaints. I commuted to work, 1 1/2 hrs each way, 80 miles per day. This vehicle was a perfect match - comfort level is perfect; my son was over 6' tall and fit comfortably in the rear seat; even with the extensive mileage (140,000), the only maintenance that was required was the normal scheduled maintenance; the tires were replaced at 109K, yes, 109K. The only issue that I experienced was with the automatic windows; which was a voluntary campaign so, the dealership repaired them at no cost. I lost my E-Terra in December after a major car wreck; my X-Terra was T-Boned and shoved 30-40 foot; we got out of the vehicle with barely a bump on the head. Major plus: Comfort, Safety, Reliability, Dependability and cost ownership/maintenance. The only reason that I did not buy another X-Terra was that due to the commuting, I needed a vehicle that got better gas mileage; with the X-Terra, I got between 20-24 MPG, the majority of my mileage was highway. I absolutely loved this truck and I miss it; I had been planning on handing it down to my son; shame.

Great SUV, but a gas hog

by NorCal Explorer from Weaverville, CA on Sat Dec 20 2014

I bought this 2001 SE Xterra in 2008 with 103,000 miles on it and it now has 245,000 miles. It is mainly driven on hwy 299 in Northern California which is a narrow mountain road subject to closer in the winter to snow, rock slides, and truck accidents. My Xterra has taken the worse 299 could throw at it and kept on going more or less. The comfort is better than a truck, but not as nice as a care, but I am use to it. The SE has a 6 cd changer in it along with a sun roof. The roof rack is sturdy and I have carried plywood and 2x4s' on it with no problems. Routine mantinance has kept going along with the eventual timing belt, water pump, and belts replacement which is to be expected with this amount of high mileage. The engine is still strong and runs great. The cons on this suv is the gas mileage and the power. I know older vehicles go down in gas mileage, but I get on the average just under 16 mpg which for a mid size suv is really poor. Surburbans get better mileage. It could also use a little bigger motor it help it up the hills which nissan finally has down with the newer xterras which get do get better mpg with the help of a more gears for the transmission and a slightly larger motor. Over all it is a good suv to have here in the mountains of Northern California.

225k miles and still strong

by Flikey from Boston,MA on Tue Nov 01 2016

I expect the xterra to make at least 500k miles. Built like a tank, and with regular maintenance it's indestructible .l

GREAT SUV!!!

by Kimmers from Puyallup, WA on Tue Nov 25 2008

I love my Xterra. I bought mine brand new in 2001 and have been driving it ever since. I keep up with the regular maintenance he now has 97,000 miles on him and he still runs like a champ! I do have to agree that I wish he had the capacity to tow a camper with ease but have been told that he would require some minor modifications in order for the transmission to last. The gas mileage is 17 to 20 depending on the type of gas you purchase but it is mileage you would expect for an SUV.

1st SUV

by Ms. outdoors from San Antonio, TX on Sun Jan 24 2010

Invested in SE 2001 in Aug. 2000. I like to cycle, kayak, etc. I leave bike and gear in SUV (truck). Easy to load and unload. Lots of clamps in truck which make it easy to secure,and plug in sockets run w/o draining battery.Highlight is the high ground clearance!. Can get off road no prob. SUV rides like a truck. Reliable, 85,000, no incidents. I keep up maintence regulary. Love my XTERRA

This car has lasted forever

by 10 Years Later... from Omaha, NE on Thu May 17 2012

I bought this car in '03 and haven't had any issues with it. With semi-regular maintenance, it's still running without problems, even after tacking on 120,000 miles onto it. Even though my family went with yellow, which I hate, it's still dragging along now, and probably for a long time

#4 Xterra and Counting...

by Gixerman from Greater Chicago on Sun Apr 27 2014

What can we say? Four Xterras later and we're still die hard fans Reliable, solid vehicles, easy to repair, and with a longevity to rival the best brands. A recent crash left us with a totaled front end on our 2000, right after putting $4K in new suspension - ouch! A couple days of research found us not one but several to choose from so that we could salvage as much of the parts as possible (that leaves a window of 2000 - 2004 fyi). Our "new" 2001 is yet ANOTHER one-owner vehicle, with an exterior and interior in even better shape than ours was, and with the salvaged parts, we're good to go, and go, and GO! You will NEVER regret investing in an Xterra! Even 13 years later, our 2001 fits right in along side some of today's most competitive SUVs!

Built like a tank

by SolarX from Oklahoma City, OK on Tue May 01 2018

This car exceeded so many expectations for a reliable vehicle that will run up to 200k miles and beyond. After 17 years of driving, the interior still looks good, very small tear in driver side upholstery after using it for a daily driver, is incredible. Had some problems with the A/C unit and electrical glitch, my garage tech had to track it down and solve it after a few tries. This car works hard and has held up over the years. Based on this experience, my next vehicle will also be a Nissan.

The most reliable truck I owned

by Will313 from Redford on Sun Jun 10 2018

Great running vehicle I would advise everyone to get a Nissan they run forever never breaks down get you anywhere you got to go with no problems strongly V6 I ever had

Got more than I expected

by muddytruck from Panama City Beach, FL on Wed Jul 21 2010

The Xterra I bought handles well off road, my friend got stuck in the mud in his 4x4 Bronco, and I was able to get him out even though I only had 2-wheel drinve and a much lighter truck. I previously drove a corolla and thought the gas mileage would drain my wallet, but it is suprisingly economical compared to similar trucks. The roof rack is very versitile and the basket is removable, I have plenty of room in the back for a couple of friends and my two very large dogs.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Nissan Xterra

Any kid who ever was obsessed with dinosaurs can surely relate to the Nissan Xterra. The compact sport-utility vehicle, with its distinctive stepped roof, tubular roof rack and running boards, has a fierce "exoskeleton," according to Nissan. Funny, we found the scariest part of this Japanese SUV to be its too-high price tag.

We first evaluated the Xterra 18 months ago. We decided to revisit and rethink our review because of the red-hot competition in this segment. Xterra now goes up against such formidable contenders as the new Ford Escape and the Hyundai Santa Fe.

He: At $26,698, the Xterra SE 4x4 that we tested is about the same as a fully loaded Escape and even more expensive than a Santa... Read More