2002 Xterra

2002 Nissan Xterra

2002 Nissan Xterra

4.4

Have You Driven the 2002 Nissan Xterra?

My first truck

by Sjoerde from Ayden, NC on Mon Sep 28 2009

I bought my 2002 Xterra SE used with 123,000 miles and one year later with 140,000 miles I havent had any problems. If I could I would keep this car forever! I checked the gas milage when I first got it and it was getting 22mpgs on the highway with a stock V6. About three months later I put a programmer in it and it seems to do a little better on gas on the high way but I havent checked it yet. I would recommed this truck to anybody looking to buy an SUV and planning to actually use their truck.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

I LOVE my Xterra! Only minor complaints.

by Lady Sexterra from Arizona on Thu Jul 08 2010

I'll start with my minor complaints b/c after that it'll just be a schmooze-fest. Floor heat option actually burns one foot CD storage console- cant put CDs in or take out while vehicle is in park. Emergency brake is easily bumped into place Lever to lift the hood is sometimes hard to find Back seats when folded in down position are angled so if you tend to truck camp it can be rather uncomfortable. Scary driving in high wind condidtions. But---I LOVE this vehicle. It has had very few problems and considering I typically only do my regular tire checks, oil changes and filter changes that says a lot. I've driven this car up and down the west coast several times, through mountains, deserts, sandy conditions, camping, near water, in monsoons and in bumpy terrain. It's got 108k miles as of now (mid 2010) and I purchased it new in 2002 with only 13 miles on it. I hope it lasts me a long long time b/c I genuinely love this truck. I've only loved one other car in my life as a driver, my Honda CRX-Si back in the day. But once that was ready to be done, cars that came after didnt satisfy the way my Xterra does. It's a great vehicle for towing utility trailers, hauling weight, driving to and from errands, camping, water sports, and it's rugged w/out looking hillbilly. It'd be great if it got better city mileage with gas.

FUN to drive!!!!

by Xterra lover from Ms on Tue Jan 02 2007

Love it, love it, love it!! It is the smartest purchase I have ever made. I have not regreted buying for one second. I love this truck so much I plan to buy another one when the time comes to replace it. Mine has almost 100,000 miles on it and it still drives great and have never had any problems at all. It is so much fun to drive. It has plenty room for hauling things and pulls well (we pull a ski boat). We travel frequently and it is very comfortable for that as well. If you are thinking about buying one do so.

A vehicle I am PROUD to say that I own

by Average High School Kid from Franklin, North Carolina on Sat Nov 22 2008

I'm 16 years old and I absolutely LOVE my 2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4X4. I was trying to find an SUV that was reliable, sporty, and good looking with the capabilities of off roading. The Nissan Xterra gave me all of that plus more. I would recommend this to any younger person who wants a nice SUV that they can have fun in. Nissan has also proved to be one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, so you won't have to worry about it breaking all the time. I get compliments on my Xterra ALL the time from people of all ages. Money WELL spent :)

Very Good SUV.

by Dixiedog from Florida on Mon Jun 01 2009

I just did my 100,000 maintaince on it. If you love her and take care of her, she will do the same. I had only one problem when the AC compressor went out for $600 but in Florida, you use it 24/7. The ext. plastic grill will fade but you can paint or replace it. I am keeping mine for at least another four years. It is a great SUV for running over things. I have accidentally driven over a bush, a cement median divider, big deep pot holes, parking lot dividers, and the alignment never went out. My SUV has the 16" SE option. If I ever get another SUV, it will be a Nissan. I might need a Pathfinder now, for extra room. Owning a car requires maintaince, some people complain about doing it as a repair in reviews.

No surprises (a good thing)

by datsun/nissan from Milwaukee, WI on Wed Jul 02 2014

Essentially a re-bodied 1st gen Pathfinder (pre '95). Same engine (3.0L->3.3L), transmission, frame, axles, etc. Rides the same, same performance - which may not be a good thing as it's a slug compared to more modern vehicles but anyone whose owned or ridden in any 3-ish liter VG powered Nissan truck won't be in for any surprises. I like the tried and trued platform, it'll last forever assuming it's taken care of properly of course.

The only car I've wanted to keep forever!

by firecracker flight nurse from Philadelphia, PA on Wed Jan 03 2007

I bought my 2002 XTerra new in 7/02. I have 75K on it and have never had a problem. It is super-charged and fun to drive. Looks great, too. I have had many cars and always itched for something different, but not this time. After 4 years, I still can't find anything I like better. I would stay away from the super charger because it takes premium and gas mileage is approx 15-20MPG. Save yourself the cash, otherwise a fabulous car and great buy.

Decent SUV that Still Looks Cool

by xTerra_me_Please from Santa Barbara, CA on Fri Feb 27 2015

We have owned our 5-speed manual 2002 Nissan XTerra XE since 2004 and have mostly good things to say about it. The engine is bullet-proof and will not die, though the interior could use some upgrading, as it shows lots of hard plastics. . Regular maintenance has kept our Xterra up to speed, but it is starting to show its age. Overall, a good vehicle, and would recommend to a friend.

Work Machine!

by Jazz from Long Island, NY on Tue Jul 03 2007

May not be the quickest or have the best handling but you can not kill it. It has the heart of a champion and continues to work as hard as it did from day one. Great 4x4 system, high grade seat material wont stain or rip, good torque. Lots of fun to drive!

Solid

by Hooked on Xterra from Washington, DC on Mon May 15 2006

I love this SUV! Perfect for someone who wants more than a Jeep Wrangler, but is turned off by most SUVs that are all about comfort and amenities. I have a 5-speed, and it takes a little getting used to at first, but I prefer the manual to the automatic.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2002 Nissan Xterra

Like an aging TV personality, the Nissan Xterra was sent out for a makeover; it came back, as they often do, looking different, anyway, but not a great deal smarter.

Now in its third season, Nissan's compact SUV is supposed to capture the hearts of first-time and otherwise impecunious, outdoors-oriented buyers, as a back-to-basics alternative which leaves off, in price and amenities, where the Pathfinder takes up.

Problem is, when outfitted with all the goodies it can bear, its price overlaps that of its more sophisticated big brother. And at the low end, it faces daunting competition from gaggle of midsize SUVs which run the gamut from the light-duty, wagon-like Honda CR-V and the cute Toyota... Read More