2001 Alero

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero?

Got more than my money's worth

by Tony from Ftn Hills, Az on Sun Dec 14 2014

I bought my Alero brand new in 2000. Currently have a little over 236,000 miles on it. Had some repairs made to the engine for an internal coolant leak and multiple brake and rotor replacements. It is a very comfortable driving position and I remember the ads at the time said it was very ergonomic. Also, to this day I can take my hands off the wheel and she rides straight and true. Only on my 4th set of tires. Overall, a good car and I certainly got more than my money's worth.

2001 Review

by Sano from Mesa, AZ on Wed Jul 19 2006

I'm very happy with my 2001 Alero. The model is a GS, 4 dr sedan w/4 cylinders. I've traveled everywhere in this car. I'm at 130,000 miles and never had any problems with the performance. It still has great gas mileage and handles very well. The only problems that I've had are with the automatic windows. In the 5 yrs that I've own the car, I've had to replace the window regulators 3 times and now my back windows are both not functioning and I've been reluctant to replace them. Overall, a great car that's still going strong and no other problems to mention.

Alero Review

by city driver from Chicago, IL on Tue May 30 2006

I currently own a blue 1991 olds alero - 4 door, 6 cyl. I love it. It was a great value for the money and is a perfect city car. Sleek and I love the blue color. It is spacious, big enough to fit 5 adults, and I have plenty of room in the front too considering I am tall. I also love the pick up on the car and it gets pretty good gas mileage as well. only gripes--the heat/ac knob only works on the 3rd setting and up so sometimes it is either too much or not enough air-flow. I have had a few issues with the internal check engine lights going on when nothing was wrong with the car...but other then that it has been a great buy and best value for the money.

Good engine, bad windows

by thelevings........ from Ohio on Sat May 16 2009

I bought this car brand new in 2001 and the engine and transimission have been excellent, but little things keep going wrong, and with the car being just a 2nd car for our 5 person family, I don't plan on fixing these small items. Knob on heater broke once, and I had it replaced, is broken again, it only works on full blast or off. All the power windows are broken, but since the heater & a/c still work, I won't get them fixed, especially since this seems to be a GM thing, most of them go bad. (Ours went bad 5000 miles after the warranty was up... NICE :oP) But definitely the engine has given us no trouble at all, as well as the transmission. Overall, reliable car but all the nickel and dime stuff gets old.

Best sedan ever.

by Fastfirebird1969 from columbus ohio on Mon Jan 26 2009

I am a collage student and I drive a 2001 olds Aero that has 109,986 miles on it at present. It has a 2.4 L 4 cylinder that delivers great fuel economy and puts ample power to the ground when needed. I purchased this car from my parents whom replaced it with a 05 Malibu another great car. My father purchased the Aero brand new and drove it to work daily for 4 years and now it is my daily driver to and form school. The car gets about 31mpg on long freeway trips. It is a very reliable car the only money I have put in to it is for regular oil changes, I recommend you use mobile 1 synthetic. I would pit it against any Camry or Accord of the same year and I grantee the Alero would come out on top.

Very good car. Daily user

by Kitty from Wa on Sun Sep 03 2017

This car is a good car for a student or someone looks for a first car. It has a lot of miles. But it does its job 100%

Will take care of you. Very dependable and reliabl

by Doris from Houston,Texas on Sat Aug 11 2018

Time saver. Gas saver. Good paint and interior. Good vehicle to start off with. Needs a little work but will survive any challenges. Some new parts. All four tires.

I loved that Cute Little Car

by Olds Gal from White Bear Lake,MN on Mon Aug 07 2017

This car was my perfect car. Bought 2001 white 2-door 4-cyl with a spoiler in 2003. I loved that car. It was cute, reliable, fun to drive. It was stolen in 2011 so I replaced it with a 1999 6-cyl. Liked that one, too. Also reliable. Traded it for newer larger SUV in 2017 because back issues made getting out of the Alero difficult. The first one cost me one battery, 1 pair front struts, 3 sets of tires. Second one was 1 set of tires and a set of new rims when the old ones corroded.

Extremely reliable and fuel efficient.

by danielb from Walla Walla on Thu Mar 30 2017

Th car has great style and comfort for a small car. Excellent performance in city and highway driving.

Good Body

by Johnnie Ols from Willow Springs on Fri Oct 06 2017

It has Mags, along with high profile tires. Rebuilt Alternator, new serpentine belt, new shocks, new front brake pads. High profile tires, and rims. Needs head gasket. 400.00 or B/O. Great looking body, no scratches, no rust. Needs to be towed.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero

Back in December, General Motors announced that Oldsmobile, the second-oldest nameplate in the automotive business, would be phased out over the next few years because of sagging sales and lack of profitability. There is no final time frame for the discontinuation of the brand.

Until the brand goes away, however, Oldsmobile continues with one of its strongest product lineups. From the new Bravada and Aurora to Intrigue and Alero, Oldsmobile offers a range of vehicles that appeals to almost every customer segment.

Take the Alero, for example. This entry-level Olds shares its basic body structure, chassis platform and mechanical components with the Pontiac Grand Am, but it has unique styling... Read More