2002 Alero

3.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Still Kickin

by Alero Fan from Minneapolis, MN on July 6, 2009

I bought my 2002 Alero in 2003 with about 27,000 miles on it, and got a great deal as it was a rental return. I have about 162,000 miles on it now, and it still runs great. The fuel pump went out at about about 158,000, but that's no biggie. It gets around great in the Minnesota winters, and is comfortable for long trips. I drove to Denver from Minneapolis without having to stop much except for food and fuel. I have loved this car, and hope to drive it for at least another 50,000.

2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL Coupe

by Ms.Joe1 from Richmond, VA on August 15, 2016

I bought this car new fresh out of college in 2002. So far as of yesterday I have 377421 miles on the Silver Bullet as I call him. On the highway I usually do 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit (never driving Ms. Daisy) and I always do the exact speed driving in town or the city. Just to let you know my driving habits. During my experience owning this car, I have run in to a few minor problems. The first being the SECURITY light flashing on the dash board that completely disables the car from starting. It happened at about 140K. To solve the problem: Take it to a GM or CHEVY dealer and have them re-program the security module: Cost me $70+ diagnostic fee of $65= $135 total repair. Second thing was the signal turns stopped working, there is a black box under the dash that controls the signal and hazard lights, cost about $200 for repair. I have only replaced my window motors once and that was at about 200K miles. Alternator replaced at 250K cost about $150. You must as with any car keep the regular maintenance. After my warranty expired (36K miles) I immediately dumped the oil that the dealer was using (Havoline) and started using Mobile One Fully synethetic oil (5w-30) costs about $30 for the 5 quart jug but it is worth the life of your vehicle trust me and FRAM brand oil filters. Still use to this day and you cannot hear the engine run. As a rule of thumb, I also start my car in the morning before leaving home and before leaving work and let it, I guess warm up and allow the oil to circulate for about 5 minutes max before pulling off. In the winter it is a little longer, just until the engine isles down below 1 on the tachometer. Also I change the air filters (FRAM brand) every time I get the oil changed. Transmission fluid, I have only had it topped off once. I have never had it flushed as the manual says to do. Regular Tune ups as scheduled, AC/Delco plugs and wires. Just this year, May/2016 I had the radiator flushed, new thermostat, new radiator hoses, and new reservoir for coolant as the old one started leaking all cost me: $500 So far, the car has actually paid for itself and it keeps on ticking. The key thing is to get the maintenance done and when something breaks get it fixed immediately or it will lead to more problems down the line. I hope this helps.

Sharp lookin' car

by Olds from on November 29, 2008

I love the way the car looks in the sun! The gas mileage is much better than expected! havn't had any problems with the car.

Oldsmobile Alero review

by JessieJ45 from on August 28, 2014

The vehicle its self is very comfortable and reliable I enjoy driving it and it is excellent on gas! The only problem i have had is with the signal lights but that might be just my car. I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a good first car or a car that is good on gas. Definitely a good choice of purchase.:)

Awesome Car!

by Ryanz from Dorchester,NH on August 12, 2008

I have had this car for 2 years. The only major problem was the front brakes. They were wearing very fast. So I replaced the calipers,brake lines,pads and rotors and that fixed the problem. I bought the expensive pads and rotors. Love this car!

VERY RELIABLE

by BEEBEE from Las Vegas, NV on October 2, 2006

Great car, low price. Same standard features as some of the more expensive brands such as Camry. Purchase the vehicle used. It has 25k miles. I have owned it for two years, no problems; had to replace the battery once. I don't do much driving. I have only put 2k miles on the vehicle since I have owned it. But it gets great gas mileage and it's a smooth ride. I really can't complain. It was a bargain.

One of My FAvorite Cars I've Owned

by Long Time Car Lover from lafayette, IN on November 5, 2007

This care was good for long trips. Also was good fot just getting around town. If you are a single person just getting from work or to school and every once in a while traveling this is a great car.All around good car for a single person.

Dependable car

by Love my Olds from CT on March 5, 2014

I bought my 02 Olds 2 1/2 yrs. ago with 93,000. I had to give it up due to the engine dying w/ 114,000 on the highway. So sad, I wish GM kept Olds and Pontiac. Since these cars are quickly phasing out, I couldn't find a used engine with less then what I had on mine. Great first car for a new driver, wish I still had mine.

most reliable car i have owned

by sunnycool377 from columbia city in on November 6, 2017

this car was affordable and fit my life very well it had air bags a v6 and was very reliable i would reccomend it to anyone and its too bad they dont make them anymore

Great Car!

by BrookieLyn97 from Flowood, MS on January 24, 2018

This is my first car. I got it in 2014. I had to replace the fuel pump at 140K miles. I am at 170K miles now. Having no issues anymore. The motor in my back window went out recently and my lock buttons don’t work. Just little things. Other than that, this is an amazing first car.

1 2 3