2002 Alero

2002 Oldsmobile Alero

$95 - $6,335  MSRP Range
2002 Oldsmobile Alero

3.7

Have you driven the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero?

2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL Coupe

by Ms.Joe1 from Richmond, VA on Mon Aug 15 2016

I bought this car new fresh out of college in 2002. So far as of yesterday I have 377421 miles on the Silver Bullet as I call him. On the highway I usually do 5 to 10 miles over the speed limit (never driving Ms. Daisy) and I always do the exact speed driving in town or the city. Just to let you know my driving habits. During my experience owning this car, I have run in to a few minor problems. The first being the SECURITY light flashing on the dash board that completely disables the car from starting. It happened at about 140K. To solve the problem: Take it to a GM or CHEVY dealer and have them re-program the security module: Cost me $70+ diagnostic fee of $65= $135 total repair. Second thing was the signal turns stopped working, there is a black box under the dash that controls the signal and hazard lights, cost about $200 for repair. I have only replaced my window motors once and that was at about 200K miles. Alternator replaced at 250K cost about $150. You must as with any car keep the regular maintenance. After my warranty expired (36K miles) I immediately dumped the oil that the dealer was using (Havoline) and started using Mobile One Fully synethetic oil (5w-30) costs about $30 for the 5 quart jug but it is worth the life of your vehicle trust me and FRAM brand oil filters. Still use to this day and you cannot hear the engine run. As a rule of thumb, I also start my car in the morning before leaving home and before leaving work and let it, I guess warm up and allow the oil to circulate for about 5 minutes max before pulling off. In the winter it is a little longer, just until the engine isles down below 1 on the tachometer. Also I change the air filters (FRAM brand) every time I get the oil changed. Transmission fluid, I have only had it topped off once. I have never had it flushed as the manual says to do. Regular Tune ups as scheduled, AC/Delco plugs and wires. Just this year, May/2016 I had the radiator flushed, new thermostat, new radiator hoses, and new reservoir for coolant as the old one started leaking all cost me: $500 So far, the car has actually paid for itself and it keeps on ticking. The key thing is to get the maintenance done and when something breaks get it fixed immediately or it will lead to more problems down the line. I hope this helps.

Still Kickin

by Alero Fan from Minneapolis, MN on Mon Jul 06 2009

I bought my 2002 Alero in 2003 with about 27,000 miles on it, and got a great deal as it was a rental return. I have about 162,000 miles on it now, and it still runs great. The fuel pump went out at about about 158,000, but that's no biggie. It gets around great in the Minnesota winters, and is comfortable for long trips. I drove to Denver from Minneapolis without having to stop much except for food and fuel. I have loved this car, and hope to drive it for at least another 50,000.

Oldsmobile Alero review

by JessieJ45 from on Thu Aug 28 2014

The vehicle its self is very comfortable and reliable I enjoy driving it and it is excellent on gas! The only problem i have had is with the signal lights but that might be just my car. I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a good first car or a car that is good on gas. Definitely a good choice of purchase.:)

Awesome Car!

by Ryanz from Dorchester,NH on Tue Aug 12 2008

I have had this car for 2 years. The only major problem was the front brakes. They were wearing very fast. So I replaced the calipers,brake lines,pads and rotors and that fixed the problem. I bought the expensive pads and rotors. Love this car!

most reliable car i have owned

by sunnycool377 from columbia city in on Mon Nov 06 2017

this car was affordable and fit my life very well it had air bags a v6 and was very reliable i would reccomend it to anyone and its too bad they dont make them anymore

Dependable car

by Love my Olds from CT on Wed Mar 05 2014

I bought my 02 Olds 2 1/2 yrs. ago with 93,000. I had to give it up due to the engine dying w/ 114,000 on the highway. So sad, I wish GM kept Olds and Pontiac. Since these cars are quickly phasing out, I couldn't find a used engine with less then what I had on mine. Great first car for a new driver, wish I still had mine.

got the most out of my alero gx 2002

by alero from reading pa on Tue Oct 01 2013

First let's look at the negatives. The windows were poorly made as the ceramic part falls off and needed to get it fixed twice. The intereior is below average and you need to understand the pass lock sensor which has prevented me from starting my car on more than a ffew occasions. If you googe this there is a wire you can cut to stop that or just wait the 10 minutes until the flashing secruity light stops flashing. (see manual). These are the negatives with the car. Also the blinkers seem to have problems as this has been documented with other owners. The positives are if you get routine high mileage oil changes and the preventive maintance needed this car runs like a champ! I have 263,700 and counting and will run the car until it dies. This car handles very well.

One of My FAvorite Cars I've Owned

by Long Time Car Lover from lafayette, IN on Mon Nov 05 2007

This care was good for long trips. Also was good fot just getting around town. If you are a single person just getting from work or to school and every once in a while traveling this is a great car.All around good car for a single person.

Great Car!

by BrookieLyn97 from Flowood, MS on Wed Jan 24 2018

This is my first car. I got it in 2014. I had to replace the fuel pump at 140K miles. I am at 170K miles now. Having no issues anymore. The motor in my back window went out recently and my lock buttons don’t work. Just little things. Other than that, this is an amazing first car.

Sharp lookin' car

by Olds from on Sat Nov 29 2008

I love the way the car looks in the sun! The gas mileage is much better than expected! havn't had any problems with the car.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2002 Oldsmobile Alero

You do some things for pride. When loss is imminent, you try harder. You fight back, take a beating, but win some measure of self-respect.

Oldsmobile understands. It's the oldest car division of General Motors Corp. It's going out of business in three years -- clobbered by falling sales, rising competition and GM's bureaucracy.

The company's executives allowed Olds to languish for a decade with noncompetitive products in a market increasingly influenced by innovative, sharply styled rivals. By the time GM realized its mistake in 1992, it was too late. Olds was a goner.

But it wasn't going quietly. Olds stalwarts were determined to show their automotive prowess. They rolled out... Read More